• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Stuff to do in VC

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
I am happily here in Vancouver for the next 6 weeks and will be busy 9-5 during the week with work. But not on the weekends :)

I'm looking for not-to-miss things in Vancouver and surrounds. Active, sports based, touristy, party, you name it I want it.

I've planned a trip to the Okanagan in late October for wine tasting, and have just seen a posting for Blank and Jones on Oct 7th.

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON?

watanabee

TRIBE Member
The Vancouver International Film Fest starts next week. See if you can see a show at the vogue for an old school theatre atmosphere.

Besides that try and hit up as many restaurants as you can, I keep stumbling on great affordable restaurants, this city is rammed with them.

Here's a brief list. You'll have to look up Addresses.

Banana Leaf on Broadway
Katzenjammer on West 10th
Samarai Sushi on Davie
Habit on Main Street
Templeton on Granville
Zocalo on Main Street
Guu with Garlic on Robson

and so many more.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Sophies on 4th (GREAT BREAKFEST) and Nam's (Sp??) on 4th aswell (open 24/7) are both places not to miss..

I like Lotus on Saturday nights, celeberties is not bad either , other then that i dont go out much for partying.

Hiking at Cypress and Lynn Valley are always good for a couple of hours. Dont forget grouse mountain , everyone has to visit once as a tourist :)

Kits beach is a nice place to relax and people watch.

Shopping? I am not much of a shopper , but west 4th and the downtown area has some good shops.

Will post some more as I think of them..

Jay

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
watanabee said:
Banana Leaf on Broadway
Katzenjammer on West 10th
Samarai Sushi on Davie
Habit on Main Street
Templeton on Granville
Zocalo on Main Street
Guu with Garlic on Robson

and so many more.
Yeah I'm getting the feeling I may be eating my way through the next 6 weeks here :) Thankfully one of my close friends here is a personal trainer, so I can kinda justify the eating bit so long as the working out bit continues.

So far I was up at UBC today for work and managed to fit in a nice long bikeride over lunch around to the Museum of Anthropology, the Japanese Gardens and Marine Drive. Tomorrow I'm going to hit up Granville Market for some touring around, marketing, and Go Fish lunch. Sunday I think we're going to window shop on Commercial Drive and have brekkie at Little Nest. One of my friends is pregnant and so it's their thing.

I will no doubt get outside the most, I need some suggestions for places to go out at night. When the mood hits me ;)

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
one of the more complete vancouver club listings (not just trance)
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?forumid=27&postid=8147922#post8147922

if you're into the d&b thing, http://www.nwdnb.bc.ca/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=9&sid=dbd515fb28b4afb4e4e1962188c18cc3

hands down, the best sushi i've ever had is at Toshi's, 16th and main.... the lineup forms early, be warned.
sounds like you've got the restos covered, though - little nest is definitely an 'it' spot right now, and go fish is the best fish & chips going... so you're being steered in the right direction.

don't forget to hit up the aquarium on a rainy weekday.

if you're used to toronto nightlife, though, vancouver can be a little depressing. good club nights are scarce, and this city shuts down EARLY.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Upcomming Shows to check:

Mike Relm - 29th of sept @ the Commodore
Andy Smith - Oct 4th @ Shine
Sinden - Oct 4th @ Republic
Chromeo - Oct 4th @ Sonar
DJ Vadim - Oct 6th @ Richards on Richards (also playing a special in-store set at Beatstreet records)
Justice - Oct. 13th @ Commodore (good luck getting a ticket tho)
Blackalicious - Oct 21 @ Commodore
DJ Krush - Oct. 24th @ Commodore
Aesop Rock - Oct 26th @ Commodore
M.I.A. - Nov 14th @ Commodore (this is already sold out i hear)

also feel free to check out my weekly downtempo lounge night at the Bayside Lounge on Davie and Denman :)

More restaurant recs:

Commerical Drive:

Stella's - great breakfasts, tons of belgium beer to choose from, good tapas
Rime - Turkish food - great coffee - live music pretty much 7 days a week. Everything from jazz to folk to dubstep parties.
Wazubi's - near 1st & Commercial - try their chicken & brie sandwaich or their bufallo burger
Clove Cafe - indian fusion - yummmy - great butter chicken

Main Street:

The Reef - carribean themed food - good jerk, highly recommend the Akee & Saltfish
Nyala - Afican food - try their steak tartar
Foundation - Vegetatarian place - open late (till 4), good microbrewed beer on tap and great nachos
Congee Noodle House - on broadway and main - The best congee in town. period. Probably call it in the top 3 wonton places in town. Cash only.
Monsoon - Asian Fusion place. Good, creative dishes - the crab ravioli is nummy.

Sushi/Japanese:

Hiroshi's on Oak & between 21st and 22nd - fantastic sushi for the price
Tojo's on Broadway & Spruce - totally overpriced and kinda overrated but it's still a great meal - expect to spend at least $100 per person tho..
Kintaro on Denman St. (near Robson) - This is the closest thing to finding and honest to god Japanese Ramen stand in Vancouver - fantastic for that cold, rainy evening (which you're going to see a loooot of in the next 6 weeks)

Fancey Schmancy Dining:

West - on Granville (south side) - this place is just amazing. Great service, great wine, great food. French-ish food.
Vij's (13th off Granville - south side) - fine indian-fusion dining. Only been to the bistro accomaniment - Rangoli
Lumiere (Broadway & Trafalgar) French dining - Rob Feenie's restaurant who is either brilliant or vastly overrated depending on who you talk to. I've only been to the bistro - Feenies which is pretty good.

more:

Bons off Broadway - Broadway & Nanimo - best cheap, greasy, all-day breakfast in town. Beware of going on weekends tho - it's the post-partying destination of choice for many

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
Soooooo in my new and improved Vancouverness, I have had some time to check out a few places. Here are my impressions:

Toshi - yes yes YES. Amazing sushi, amazing prices, they need to open more seating as waiting 30mins at 5:30PM is unacceptable :)

Hiroshi (on Oak) - disappointing. The price point was ok, but the fish was mediocre. Not to mention, I'm not really into the experimental sushi. Tropical Roll? ... not so much.

Grammercy Grill (Arbutus/West 11th) - random dinner and drinks at the bar was very very entertaining. The bartender was full of jokes and the kitchen staff came out a few times to see what was going on. Food - excellent and a nice little wine list. Oh, and apparently Charlize Theron made an appearance there the other night during her film fest debut.

Little Nest (commercial) - cute idea, a resto which caters to parents and their kids. Lots of kid friendly food options (i.e. eggs with toast "soldiers"), and plenty of kids around. NOTE TO SELF: post-boozing brunch at Little Nest with no "little one's" is FUCKING ANNOYING.

Apparently all I have done since being here is eat. Oh yeah, and bike around like a crazy person on all these steep hills. Tonight I'm heading out to Goldfish to have appy's and people watch. Sunday is Roger Sanchez WHO HOO. I will hopefully spend Sunday shopping though have not hit on precisely the area as of yet. Thinking Main north of 18th or Downtown although I really don't want to see all of the same shit all over again.

I open the board for shopping suggestions (clothes that is) ...

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
Oh yeah and what is with the number of GOOD music showcasing these days!

Kaskade tonight (damn sold out tickets!!!)
Portishead DJ last night
Sanchez (going) AND Fred Everything on Sunday
Acquaviva next Thursday (going)

Then some crazy Seattle party on October 26th. DJ DAN, Mastercraft, INfected Mushroom, Donald Glaude, Grooverider (yes going)

FUN. If anyone else is hitting up these events, drop me a PM.

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
the Doctor said:
Then some crazy Seattle party on October 26th. DJ DAN, Mastercraft, INfected Mushroom, Donald Glaude, Grooverider (yes going)
damn, that party is tempting. very much the old toronto congress center vibe. very tempting....

as far as shopping, i would have to say, stay away from downtown, unless you want to shop at zara, club monaco et al.

main north of 18th is definitely the hipster destination, but more for girls than guys.

definitely hit up the board and clothing shops on 4th east of burrard. not just the usual skate labels, they tend to have some pretty decent street styles, including some vancouver labels.

and if you're in the main street area, hit up "cascade" around 12th (you can't miss the neon sign). very good new place for quality casual drinks (the menu is limited and a little overpriced tho)

'crave' at main and 24th does good brunch, and don't miss 'foundation' at main and 7th, for the best vegetarian food out there. don't be scared off by the vegetarian label - the food is awesome and the atmosphere is really chill.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
the Doctor said:
Oh yeah and what is with the number of GOOD music showcasing these days!

Kaskade tonight (damn sold out tickets!!!)
Portishead DJ last night
Sanchez (going) AND Fred Everything on Sunday
Acquaviva next Thursday (going)

FUN. If anyone else is hitting up these events, drop me a PM.
you were at Andy Smith? I was the opener for that show :)

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
Cool!

So I now have a personal opinion of the VC club scene and that is that it is laaaaame.

I mean, who invites Roger Sanchez ... ROGER SANCHEZ PEOPLE ... to play at a venue, then screws up the guest list line up causing ticket-holding people to have to wait outside FOREVER while reams of bouncer's-best friends walk straight through (like over 40 people walking in while over 60 are in the line up). Coat check was a mess, and then the clincher LIGHTS on at 2am.

I know Vancouver doesn't party late, but legally last call can be 3am. WHY 2!!!

The only saving grace was (a) Roger is a god and (b) my friends are wicked. I got to hang out with Loress, new tribe friend eskayo, a-ron and crew. Lori was a ball of raging fun ... who needs to buy drinks eh babe ;)

Looking forward to Acquaviva on Thursday. Review of Feenie's to come.

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
^we shall never speak of that night again. :p

yeah that was about as craptastic as they come, however it was also the shittiest club experience i've dealt with thus far in vancouver...if that makes you feel any better larisa lol
there's no denying, the club scene here is shameful and it's rather unfortunate, seeing as vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world...ahh in a perfect world, right ;)
i've come to terms with the lack of good venues, good dancers and good beats. it's too bad you missed an open studios jam, those are some damn good times! (think warehouse space, dope beats and no last call!) sadly they occur only every few months or so, but hey that's ok with me.. i appreciate them all that much more :)

now as for this godamn rain............

Last edited:

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
the Doctor said:
Cool!

So I now have a personal opinion of the VC club scene and that is that it is laaaaame.

I mean, who invites Roger Sanchez ... ROGER SANCHEZ PEOPLE ... to play at a venue, then screws up the guest list line up causing ticket-holding people to have to wait outside FOREVER while reams of bouncer's-best friends walk straight through (like over 40 people walking in while over 60 are in the line up). Coat check was a mess, and then the clincher LIGHTS on at 2am.

I know Vancouver doesn't party late, but legally last call can be 3am. WHY 2!!!

The only saving grace was (a) Roger is a god and (b) my friends are wicked. I got to hang out with Loress, new tribe friend eskayo, a-ron and crew. Lori was a ball of raging fun ... who needs to buy drinks eh babe ;)

Looking forward to Acquaviva on Thursday. Review of Feenie's to come.
who was the promoter? If it's who I think it is, they've encountered issues with this before (i.e. overblowing their guest list and screwing actual ticketholders).

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
YOU TELL 'EM LORI!

It's too bad that the promoters can't get their shit together. My bigger beef though is the clientele. I hate going off on the whole Toronto is a great place to party bit, btu seriously, I think we really underestimate the good thing they got. I found that most people at Sanchez were very inclusive with their own little groups, barely got into the music, and when they did, it was to the exclusion of anyone else outside of their circle. Not a lot of exchange, and a LOT of people just standing around. Worse, poor crowd etiquette! It is not hard to move through a group of people without throwing elbows! And ladies, put your drinks away when you're on the dancefloor unless you WANT them all over your skanky little dress.

Republic tomrorow night, let's see if we can bash some stereotypes :)

eskayo

TRIBE Member
the Doctor said:
Republic tomrorow night, let's see if we can bash some stereotypes :)
Ha. Don't hold your breath. Republic is still a very commercial venue and probably isn't synonomous with bringing in the crowd and vibe that you're looking for. Hopefully tomorrow is one of Acquaviva's good nights. I've seen him so many times through the years (Lush in London, ON anyone?) and he's so hit or miss.

As for Sanchez... when a club is already over capacity and there are people standing in line with tickets, it's just a huge slap in the face for the promoter to come to the front and point at 20 guys on the street and rush them in. I think the reason that they had lights on at 2 would either be that Sonar has had trouble in the past and the city won't give them a 3am close OR it was a Sunday and they won't give a 3am close in a mixed residential/commerical neighborhood. I know the Modern which has a 3am close on Fri and Sat was only given a 2am close for the Sunday also. Then again, the lights were on before 2am already because of that big fight.

I agree with Lori though. Definitely my worst club experience in Vancouver in my 5 years here.

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
Sooo glad I made it out for this one then ;)

Hell, I'm just going to throw it out there Stephen, that if you want to party, Vancity is not the place to come. I know it seems like I'm stating the obvious but people's priority is not the clubbing scene. Bars yes, and eating out sure, but not late night, after hours clubbing.

No big loss for me. I really wasn't looking to rock my socks off for this period. I'm happy to go out for dinner, and be outside when it's not raining. Save my money for TO (hey isn't Morales playing in November ...)

So let's get back to dining out. Last Friday I had plans to hit up Goldfish with a friend, but out plans got waylaid last minute and we were left in Kitt's, dressed up with nowhere to go. A quick call to Feenies got us a maybe table if we got there asap. No table awaited us on arrival ... BUT as these things happen, both the manager of Feenies AND Lumiere were friends of mine from my past life as a bartender. Magically a table presented itself. Food was great - really really good. I had their baked oysters which were all but raw except the warm, spicy, cheesy bit on top (yum). Went very well with my glass of local sparkling. Ahi tuna tartar was lovely, as were butternut squash ravioli's. The 2 desserts was probably a bit of overkill but their peanut-chocolate-ice cream thingy with the peanut opaline (?) was delish. Chocolate fondant was just what it said it was.

Next up - Safarin! A mid-east-asia fusion resto with a great looking cocktail list and menu. Anyone in?

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
OK so these are the nights that make me happy. $8 to get into a club, no expectations, a beautiful set up, CRAZY beats and some good friends.

John Acquaviva, who has got to be close in age to my grandfather (jokes jokes) was absolutely amazing tonight. I should have stayed longer but I have to be at work tomorrow and somewhat functional. But goddamn ...

Nice call Stephen. Tonight made me happy :)

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
please don't see Cargo parties as representative of the vancouver scene - those are probably the most chache, roid-monkey, fake-titted crowd you'll see for house nights...

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
the Doctor said:
Next up - Safarin! A mid-east-asia fusion resto with a great looking cocktail list and menu. Anyone in?

you mean sanafir? the clientele is obnoxious - fake tans, fake tits, fake smiles...
but the food is fantastic. and relatively affordable to boot. and the room is gorgeous.

as for the vancouver scene - i went to 'krafty kuts' in victoria on the weekend, and that single club night put vancouver to SHAME (and even most toronto club nights for that matter).
every single person was dancing, everyone smiled, said hi, no attitude anywhere, total mixed bag of people... in short, exactly what a good night out is all about.

ethnik

TRIBE Member
my only beef with the house scene here...

why always the same headliners for those few and far between decent nights out?

not complaining about the quality of the beats as I appreciate all these folks, but if there are only 6-8 good nights interspersed throughout the year, i'd like to have more of a menu to choose from than Kaskade, Lawnchair Generals, Fred Everything, Mark Farina, Heather, and Diz over and over again.

Always the same usual suspects...hence why i don't get out very often.

that andy smith show was on point! hadn't seen him live in years, it was well worth the trek downtown.

hi lori!

yes i am still alive

mike

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
dj_soo said:
Justice - Oct. 13th @ Commodore (good luck getting a ticket tho)
daft punk jr!

myself and playhouse went to this last night.. rockin' good times! i'll write more of a proper review when my eyeballs stop twitching.

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
so the other week aron and i swung by the commodore to see if we could grab last minute kaskade tix - scalpers were selling them for $250 each..! :eek:

i don't whether to laugh or cry about this, but i think next time kaskade is town i may be purchasing a giant stack of $20 tickets!