1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Stuff to do in Boston?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by JCrack, Mar 26, 2010.

1. JCrack

JCrack TRIBE Member

I will be travelling to Boston for a weekend in mid-May and was wondering what other people would recommend checking out.

Fenway Park?

Museums?

Clubs/Bars?(Cheers?)

etc...

2. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

Cheers = Bull & Finch Pub

3. JCrack

JCrack TRIBE Member

I was just checking out their website...looks almost exactly like the tv recreation, but it will be incredibly busy I am sure as it the graduation ceemony weekend for Boston University and some of the other schools in the area the weekend I am going.

4. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Nooooooooooooooo, don't bother cash grab tourist attraction that will give you absolutely no nostalgic feelings of a great Thursday sitcom long gone.

Fenway is an experience baseball fan or not, go be a Saux fan for the game and soak it in. It will be expensive but worth it.

The Aquarium is one of the best I have been too. And if you like history and it's a nice day grab a map and walk around, lot of historic places to visit.

Man, there is so much to do there, second favorite American city next to Toronto's doppelganger, Chicago.

5. jus me

jus me TRIBE Member

I was in Boston last September for a weekend. Took a speedy tour of the city, mostly walking downtown, eating as much seafood as possible, visited the ICA (small, took an hour or less) and just hung out by bay watching the boats go by.

I also avoided "Cheers" and most of the other restos in that area.

Tons of students everywhere, its crazy.

Don't even THINK about driving there, too many one way streets.

6. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

Everything mentioned so far is legit.

However , I highly recommend Cheers / Bull & Finch, but only on a Sunday
    for the hangover Bloody Mary. It is awesome.

Sox game is mandatory. There's a decent pub back behind the
    Green Monster called the Flask And Cagon. [ or something like that ]

Quincy Market / Fanueil Hall area is good if its nice and sunny out.

Bruins should be knocked out of the playoffs by then so we can rule that out.

7. evergreen

evergreen TRIBE Member

Arnold Arboretum if you are at all into parks/green space. It's pretty impressive.

8. JCrack

JCrack TRIBE Member

Thanks for the suggestions....keep 'em coming!

9. ravinjunkie

ravinjunkie TRIBE Member

Could you recommend an alternative solution?
    When I went to Chicago this Jan, We parked at an Indiana train station and took the train down to Chicago - Free parking!

10. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Eat a hoagie.

11. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

If you're a nerd that appreciates breakfast for dinner: Trident Booksellers & Cafe.

I went in November, I wish I could have done the tour of Boston via those stupid stand up wheel things, you probably can in May.

12. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

^^^^^^

13. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

Its a great city. I went for my Uncle's wedding a few years ago and we spent an entire day just walking around. The waterfront is pretty nice, Boston Commons is really cool. We also hit up an old pub where Paul Revere and the other rebels formulated their plans to fight (can't remember the name of it though).

Consider catching an MLS game, they play out of Foxborough.

14. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

Found it:

The Green Dragon pub is the one Paul Revere and the other "Sons of Liberty" met and drank in.

This one sounds pretty cool too:

The Warren Tavern is one of the oldest pubs, if not the oldest pub, in Massachusetts.

15. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Great thread. Boston is one city I would love to visit.

16. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

eat the lobstah and drink som beah

17. JCrack

JCrack TRIBE Member

Would love to check the Warren out. I went to the oldest pub in Sydney while I was there and that was really interesting. I love history so the Green Dragon might be on my list as well if I have time.

18. JCrack

JCrack TRIBE Member

One of my coworkers that I am heading down with suggested some bar with 150+ beahs on tap.

I have a Harvard tie as well that I am considering wearing to see what that might stir up.

19. miller

miller TRIBE Member

Boston

I lived there once for a year.

Go to Fenway if you can. There's an aura and feel unlike any ballpark left in baseball.

Go to Fanuel Hall and grab a bowl of clam chowder. It's expensive and touristy but still something you have to see.

Walk down Newburry Street if you want to see the yuppies and Fashonistas. It is sort of Boston's version of Bloor St. only much more quaint, tree-lined, and less congested with automobiles.

DEFINITELY go to the North End for an Italian meal. The food is very, very well priced and no matter what restaurant you pick, you can't go wrong.

Check-out the pubs and cafes around Harvard Square.

Take a walk through Boston Common. Feed the swans. It's like central park only smaller.

If you like electronic dance music there are a number of small-medium sized clubs on Landsdowne Street. The names have probably changed since I lived there in 2001 but no doubt it's the same. I can't advise you as to the underground dance music or where the best spots to go for EDM are in terms of authenticity as obviously waaay too much time has passed since I was lurking.

Go to an Irish pub in South Boston. South Boston still has a significant Irish Catholic population. Recall the film Good Will Hunting.

Take a photo on the steps of Harvard's library. I doubt they'll let you in, but it's a majestic building.

Don't go to "Cheers". Waste of time and money.

If you have time, go to the Sam Adams Brewery. I drank a lot of delicious, free beer and learned alot about the brewing process!

Boylston street has great seafood restaurants but pretty touristy and corporate clientel.

Take the UMASS train to the JFK library.

Stuart street has some other funky, niche nightclubs. At least when I was there...

Walk around China town and scope out all the clothing deals and eat for pennies.

In all, South Boston and the North End were my favourites. Like Toronto, Boston is a town of neighborhoods. Each one has it's own distinct vibe. The only difference is Boston is a lot smaller. With the exception of Cambridge (Harvard Square) and South Boston, you can pretty much walk the whole city, from Fenway to the North End would be no problem. Get a map!

Enjoy. It's a pretty special place. One of my favourite American cities. And this is a great time of year with the nicer whether and all of the Colleges and Universities being in full swing!

20. miller

miller TRIBE Member

[

Don't even THINK about driving there, too many one way streets.[/QUOTE]

This is great advice. And if you ARE going to do it, don't allow an Ozzie to do the driving like I did!

21. miller

miller TRIBE Member

If your a geek, Boston Public library is pretty cool...

22. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

Watch some whales! I missed out last time I went.

Eat famous clam chowder at the place that makes it for President's inaugaration ceremonies.

Thats all I remember about my trip there. Stayed at the college that Hillary Clinton went to........it was like a whole other world........a page right out of Saved by the Bell

23. blueshrike

blueshrike TRIBE Member

history

If you like history, Boston has some interesting spots.

I liked the bunker hill monument (free) and the old state house ($7). If you like to walk you can just follow the freedom trail and see a bunch of stuff.

24. xsre

xsre TRIBE Member

I love Boston. It's my favourite American city, and a preferred destination for me (might have something to do with a good friend who lives there, but still!). The whole city is accessible by the T (transit system) and it's all totally walkable. My friend lives near Fenway at Kenmore station and that whole area of the city is good fun for shopping and restaurants. I would also recommend a guidebook to the city - I have the National Geographic book - so that you have a T map all the time and some background on what you're seeing. I find that having that information handy makes it easier to get around and know what you're seeing.

Great places to see (some already mentioned):
    New England Aquarium - it's really spectacular with a giant cylindrical tank the stands in the middle of the building and goes from bottom to top. Watching them feed the fish is fun times.
    Museum of Fine Arts - some of the most incredible art in North America. From Japanese art and Polynesian artifacts to the Old Masters and Middle Ages religious art, it is really incredible.
    JFK Library - I wish I had more time the last time I went (but I had an 11 year-old with me who wasn't interested) because it's really an experience. Presidential libraries have an aura, and standing in the big glass part of the building when no one else is there will affect your soul.
    Freedom Trail - No map required, all you do is follow the red line painted on the street. You'll feel like you've really seen something. Along the Freedom Trail is Faneuil (FAN-yul) Hall and Quincy Market (where there is an actual pub called Cheers, but it is over-priced and not that good), as well as all of the revolutionary war landmarks and the North End (gorgeous architecture).
    Park "T" station - Get out at Park (a central hub) and just walk around. You'll get to the Common and Beacon Hill.
    Charles River - If you're there at the right time, you'll see the crews rowing in the morning and in the evenings. There are bridges across the River that you can stand and watch them up close.
    Museum of Science - A way better version of the Ontario Science Centre. There is always something cool going on that you can geek out on if you're that type. They have a cool exhibit about the Big Dig, will help you understand the layout of the city.

In certain buildings in Boston, you will still be able to see Indigo coloured windows from a shipment of window panes 400 years ago that were accidentally coloured from ink. History - right there in front of you.

Cambridge:
    Harvard - Don't miss a chance to walk around Harvard. Not only historical (Harvard Yard), but the Hasty Pudding club takes visitors. Unfortunately, they don't let lay-folks into their libraries, but c'est la vie. From Harvard you can walk to...
    MIT - Take a student-led tour. Seriously - awesome. These kids are really something else. They have the MIT Museum which always has something nifty and next-generation showcased, as well as exhibits about student hacks (pranks) - and MIT kids can HACK. Hilarious. Also see the horrible Frank Gehry building.
    Harvard Square, Cambridge in general - ALWAYS something going on, especially in the Spring and Fall. Street performers and other buskers, good shopping. Excellent bookstores, obviously.

If you have a chance to venture out into New England-at-large (within 2 hours driving of Boston), Providence (Rhode Island) is beautiful and a great place for seafood. The Atlantic shore villages (Stonington, CT comes to mind) are treasures of architecture and great food. If you get a chance to go and are into military history at all, I would recommend a tour of the USS Nautilus in Groton, CT.

If I could move to New England, I would. Hopefully heading back in the Summer!

25. team j5

team j5 TRIBE Member

not sure if the red sox are home that weekend....but if you cant get tickets to a red sox game they do tours of fenway park and its a great way to see the stadium. it's around $10 and they take you all over fenway including up on the monster seats. if there's a home game and you take one of the later tours some of the players will be on the field warming up. the last tour of the day on game days is an abbreviated tour though.

there is a bar on landsdowne st (the street that runs behind the green monster) called bleacher bar. its actually in fenway park and you can see into the ballpark from the bar. they have a few tables set up so you can eat while catching the action from there. cask n flagon is an excellent place to be before and after a home game.

the cheers you see on the tv show is actually a tiny little bar that looks nothing like the bar on the show. they opened up a much larger restaurant in fanueil hall that more resembles the set. if you want to see the sign....go to the original spot. if you want to feel like you are at the bar from the tv show....go to fanueil hall.

harvard square is eh...i would skip it unless you plan to walk around harvard campus. its been overrun by chain stores.

lansdowne st is no longer the place to go for clubs. there's a bunch of one offs scattered around the city so it depends when you are here and what you are up for if there is anything going on.