• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Studio headphones

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
So after having recently lost my studio space, I finally moved all my gear home and set up a home studio in the extra room.

Of course this means I can only use my monitors during the daytime, so I'm looking for recommendations on good, flat, and comfortable studio headphones for production so I can work on stuff in the evenings and nights.

I was thinking of an open-style just so i can do mixdowns (or at least work on them) at night but am open to any suggestions.

Preferably under $300 - as much as I'd love a pair of $1000 Grado's that's just not going to happen...

rulz

TRIBE Member
SOS article : Studio Headphones

there is also plenty of discussion and opinions on gearslutz

personally i've been using Sennheiser HD25s for years and results are ok for sketching and arrangement but i won't mix on them, although i do use them for a final mix reference.

Also i would like to point out that hearing is valuable and by the time most of us realize that its kinda too late, therefore i do avoid using any headphones these days if i can use monitors (there is nothing wrong with working on monitors at very low level).

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
Just 1 month ago I had a chance to try out these (while writing a tune)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Passive Noise Cancelling Headphone Review

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Now I myself have never touched anything made by this manufacturer... nor am I very familiar with any of their products or reputation.... so I wasn't expecting much at all.

I ended up very surprised. I was blown away by not only the quality of sound isolation clarity and range but also the comfort.. not a doubt in my mind I will be picking up a pair very soon... They are also not very expensive at all... sometimes that alone will make you shy away as you can see like "well they are cheap to buy, so I doubt they are anything special" ...just try them!

I saw them on the moog website for $195

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
SOS article : Studio Headphones

there is also plenty of discussion and opinions on gearslutz

personally i've been using Sennheiser HD25s for years and results are ok for sketching and arrangement but i won't mix on them, although i do use them for a final mix reference.
yes on sos, gearslutz, and hd25's.

i've been using hd25's for years (on my second set.. first set still works fine, but have had the shit kicked out of them countless times and look like hell), and I've got nothing but good things to say about them. (although Sennheiser could stand to spend a few bucks on asthetics.)

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
i have a pair of hd25s for djing. they are my fav dj headphones but for production they're a little boomy...

I ended up going for a pair of sennheiser 558s which i'm really happy with. Open design, clear, detailed sound... just need to break em in a little more.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
i have a pair of hd25s for djing. they are my fav dj headphones but for production they're a little boomy...
strange that you say that.. Niko's hd25's are really boomy too, but both of my sets have been perfectly balanced.

I get the lows clearly, but it's never overpowering.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
I don't think it's overpowering per se, but I definitely wouldn't call them flat... They aren't as bad as some DJ headphones, but they're not the most balanced phones out there...

That and I find them a little uncomfortable after prolonged use...

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Just 1 month ago I had a chance to try out these (while writing a tune)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Passive Noise Cancelling Headphone Review

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Now I myself have never touched anything made by this manufacturer... nor am I very familiar with any of their products or reputation.... so I wasn't expecting much at all.

I ended up very surprised. I was blown away by not only the quality of sound isolation clarity and range but also the comfort.. not a doubt in my mind I will be picking up a pair very soon... They are also not very expensive at all... sometimes that alone will make you shy away as you can see like "well they are cheap to buy, so I doubt they are anything special" ...just try them!

I saw them on the moog website for $195
These are great headphones. A little heavy i find, but really nice sound. My wife has a lower end model of the audio technica phones - the m35 i think and I never really liked them, but when I demo'd the M50s they were pretty much 2nd on my list...

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
I have Sony 7506s and I love them. I've had them for over 6 years and they have spent a significant amount of that time crushed tightly in bags full of heavy books. They just don't break. They also sound great and have decent isolation. I hear the Audio Technica M50s are also very good, and offer even more isolation. However if you're talking about $1000 Grados then I assume you prefer open backed models, of which neither the sonys or ATs are.