• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Street Fighter II (or higher)

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
for those of you who were part of the street fighter generation. it was ALWAYS expected that if you won the first round the 2nd round would result in a mercy round. did this rule ever apply to the original street fighter?

karatechamp.gif

i used to be hooked on karate champ when i was a wee lad but dont EVER remember giving a mercy round nor was i ever given a heard time for not giving one. i recall tho in my teen years playing the game if i didnt give a mercy round there would be HUGE animosity towards me and they would seek vengence

anyway, im watching bloodsport and frank duxx and jackson were playing karate champ and this thought popped into my head lol

goodnight :D

Last edited:

zoo

TRIBE Member
i'd never given it any thought. when i think back, we definitely used to ease up in the 2nd round so that the match would last the full 3, unless we were out for blood.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
definitely would give a mercy round, in fact, we still do, I have an arcade style SFII Championship Edition machine :cool:

zoo

TRIBE Member
bison-animation1.gif

i can beat anyone with this move (and have, time after time)

do it as the opponent is standing up.

it's a flaw of the game actually

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
bison-animation1.gif

i can beat anyone with this move (and have, time after time)

do it as the opponent is standing up.

it's a flaw of the game actually

I hated people like you.

And that was only in Champion Edition.

They fixed it with Hyper Mode and then introduced Fei Long, Cammy and the rest of the crew.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
depended on the locale as well.

I've been places where the mercy rule isn't in effect.

We also had the unspoken rule back in high school where throws weren't kosher and if a throw happened, you were expected to "give a throw back" unless that would have resulted in an instant death. Of course, that wasn't the case everywhere...

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
Richard Raiban said:
for those of you who were part of the street fighter generation. it was ALWAYS expected that if you won the first round the 2nd round would result in a mercy round. did this rule ever apply to the original street fighter?

i NEVER ever fucking gave mercy rounds... at all.

didnt matter what fighting game i was playing.

in fact, got into a fist fight over it up in the big arcades in wasaga beach when i was younger.... around when motral kombat 2 was out.

i was a pure fucking ninja (pun intended) with the game and the guy i was playing was just as good as me. We went back and forth for the better part of 40 minutes.

until i whooped his ass about 4 games in a row with baraka and milena. All the games previous to that were pretty damn close.... all the fights going 3 rounds. Think the last straw was me using milena (the strongest and cheapest character in the game) and just DOMINATING him in a very cheap way :)

guy was fucking steaming mad that i didnt give him any mercy rounds for those 4 fights and he took a swing at me. Thankfully one of my friends had my back and we took out the two goons. They were older too lol

:D

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
KodiaK said:
Think the last straw was me using milena (the strongest and cheapest character in the game) and just DOMINATING him in a very cheap way :)

F+F+HP
Then
F+F+HK?

Yeah, Mileena was fun to be cheap with....almost as cheap as Scorpion in the original MK.

I miss arcades.

montanamo

TRIBE Member
littlejon said:
original ken is still the bestest.

No way, they made ken way better in the step up to Championship Edition. I used Ryu in SFII original, but only truly became unbeatable with Ken and his Championship Edition upgrades.