1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Streaming from PC/laptop to TV...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rave jedi, Jun 24, 2010.

1. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

I wanna be able to do exactly what this guy is doing on the Windows 7 commerical. My preference would be to use my PC for streaming (located nowhere near TV) instead of my laptop since I have many more files on its hard drive. I do not yet have a PS3 or X360 or any other media centre at the moment. However, from this link below it mentions it really has nothing do with the X360, PS3 being used as media centres etc.

Windows 7, Windows Media Center, XBox 360, and how to put my desktop on my TV.

Apparently, this commercial was very misleading and it should have been advertisement for "Intel WiDi enabled".

Anyway, what are my easiest and cheapest options for achieving what he is doing?
  2. romstah

romstah TRIBE Member

You basically need a laptop that supports WiDi and on top of that you need the push2tv device. Its cheaper just to buy an acer revo and use it as a dedicated htpc, its small enough and can be mounted behind your lcd.

if you just want to stream videos from your laptop, just get a media center device like WDTV Live, you need to get a wifi adapter with it.

I personally have a patriot box office its similar to the WDTV, its small and compact and you can put a 2.5 hdd in it, so i can bring it anywhere.
  3. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Buy a PS3.
    Download PS3Media Server.
  4. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

buy a 360
    hook it up to your network
  5. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

buy a new 360 though, the old one you have to buy a seperate wifi card for.
    Although personally I hate FPS games, so I bought a PS3 first.

and then a 360 second to do the exact same thing downstairs.
  6. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

I have a WDTV Live. it is about $139

Supports most video formats (including high def ), plays youtube etc.. connects directly into your network and will stream from samba shares, media servers etc. Also has two USB ports (for external drivers, usb sticks etc) or you can even use a supported usb wifi so you don't need to worry about a cat5 cable.

Has HDMI , composite and component video output.

Since it is running a variant of Linux , there is lots of support and home brew stuff for it as well.

Awesome sauce for sure!

7. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

just saw your post about this patriot box .. neat! has some features that the WDTV live is lacking.. I am guessing it supports samba shares? Have you had any problems playing divx/xvid , wmv etc?

8. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

9. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

BTW in that Windows 7 commercial, the they are showing the notorious Shark Fighting scene from Zombi_II, a disgusting Italian horror flick that was widely banned upon release.
  10. romstah

romstah TRIBE Member

never had problems with xvid/divx, it plays about anything you throw at it, yes it supports samba shares. Its $89.99 at canada computers right now, cant go wrong with that. The interface is fugly, but you can change that by flashing another box's (ACRyan Playon) firmware.
  11. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Thanks for the info.