• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Storm Update anyone??

m0ff

TRIBE Member
major ice pellets here in Ottawa. I'm about to brave it and walk to work...it sounds like it's going to hurt. here I go...

mingster

TRIBE Member
i stayed in mississauga last night and people around here are absolute fuckheads this morning.

this calls for a breakfast of coffee and skittles.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
woo, my coworker got stuck in chicago at 9am yesterday, boarded a flight at 9:30pm for Toronto, the plane got to toronto and turned around and went all the way back to chicago. Why would it take off in the first place? That SUCKS.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Took me only three hours to get home (3pm) from dufferin and steeles to QUeen and Pape.

I almost ran out of gas on a single-lane stretch (Bayview extension). Just as I pull in, my car stutters and boom, I'm out of gas.

Thank god for my half-worn blizzaks, though. As the Jaguar beside me just started to slide on the underpass at the millwood bridge, I plowed through.

Jags, BMWs, and Smart Cars were no match for last night. Nor was the SLK that was sliding backwards on an uphill, and the Boxster with the guy in just a suit standing outside, scratching his head.

This morning isn't so bad, matter of fact, I saw sun. I was driving V's S40 with brand new winter rubber and all I have to say is- awesome. While people were going 60/70 on the QEW, I was hitting 120 without hesitation. This is once I will say that the stealership didn't rip us off by charging $1200+ for the tires/rims package, I'm glad we didn't cheap out. They are amazing.

I love this weather! The mayhem! My street is halfway closed b/c of branches flying down, one car's rear window was completely smashed in.

AND to top it off, we're off to Cleveland tomorrow for the Raps game. Will we make it?

kuba

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
woo, my coworker got stuck in chicago at 9am yesterday, boarded a flight at 9:30pm for Toronto, the plane got to toronto and turned around and went all the way back to chicago. Why would it take off in the first place? That SUCKS.
V just flew to san fran. All night last night she was praying it would get delayed. It didn't. I think it's the only plane on time. Matter of fact, it only took 25 mins to get the Pearson- usually takes 20.

So she took off just fine, about 15 mins ago. ON TIME!

Kiera

TRIBE Member
Fuckin hell last night was terrible! Luckily I caught my bus from work otherwise I would have been standing around for an hour at least since the opposite direction was jammed. Bus driver said it took him an hour to go from the Queensway up to Islington. A friggin hour!

Got to long branch 25 min later than usual and of course my number 5 bus was nowhere to be seen which meant I had to get a bus that goes kinda close to my house although not really. As soon as I stepped off the bus I landed in a snow halfway up to my knees! A 10 min walk took me about 25 minutes since no one had bothered to shovel and no matter which way I turned it seemed the snow was adamant on blowing in my face. Holy fuck at one point I felt like I was walking through Siberia! What a day to wear summer weight pants. Shit! Got home and took my soaking wet boots off and my big toe was actually blue and numb! I proceeded to take a half hour shower and then make the biggest cup of hot chocolate EVER! Which subsequently had me up peeing every hour all night long.

This morning was like walking through a lake. Im so cold and wet and generally unhappy. :(

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
hey assheads on the road: thanks for intentionally driving fast on the outside land so you can soak me completely on my way to school.

i fucking hate today.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
If anything the city should be focusing on clear drainage grates/covers to convert the lakes back to streets.

p.s. in case anyone was wondering, YES I am an expert when it comes to emergency recovery/etc.

Fairie

TRIBE Member
That was a BRUTAL walk into work. The sidewalks on King St are almost completely flooded.

My jeans are wet pretty much to my knees. I'm so happy I always keep a change of shoes at my desk and that there's a Shoppers beside my office so I could buy a new pair of socks. Spending the day walking around soaking wet is not my idea of fun.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
mutslaster said:
hey assheads on the road: thanks for intentionally driving fast on the outside land so you can soak me completely on my way to school.
See my post above...regardless if someone is going 50km/h or 10km/h, pedestrians on the sidewalks are still gonna get splashed.

Blame the laws of physics, and the city for taking their time to make sure the water drains properly :p

Kiera

TRIBE Member
Fairie said:
That was a BRUTAL walk into work. The sidewalks on King St are almost completely flooded.

My jeans are wet pretty much to my knees. I'm so happy I always keep a change of shoes at my desk and that there's a Shoppers beside my office so I could buy a new pair of socks. Spending the day walking around soaking wet is not my idea of fun.
See at least you have that option. Theres fuck all around me so Im stuck with soggy socks all day. I miss working downtown :(

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
The sewer and storm water system is surely overloaded right now Toby. Too much from the thaw too soon! Plus frozen rain does not make it easy.

kuba

TRIBE Member
mutslaster said:

i fucking hate today.
I doubt they did it on purpose. I had to bust through some super wet areas or else I'd get stuck.

SOrry.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:
The sewer and storm water system is surely overloaded right now Toby. Too much from the thaw too soon! Plus frozen rain does not make it easy.
Blame mother nature then :p

And Billy, I'm not sure it's so much "crunchy"...as it is "sloppy"

discuss.

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:
fucking FUCK stupid half-ass snow days like this!

shut 'er down if it's so bad out! don't expect your employees to come in and risk thier lives...

if the buses are cancelled, shut down the schools. if the mayor says to stay home, stay home.

my stupid office is open, and i guaranfuckintee i'll be one of the only people there, who is *expected* to be there because i'm so close.

i'm sure it's going to be a real party walking to work in this shit.

/rant.
A-fucking-greed.

My boss stayed home today, but I'm here, and so are most of my coworkers despite the storm being FIRMLY planted over Ottawa right now.

She even emailed me asking if everyone was getting in safe and sound.
If you have to ASK, then maybe you should be telling people to STAY HOME?????

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Really. I think this thread should be renamed "the whiner's thread"

the roads are clear and the traffic is light.

If you're feet are wet perhaps you should have considered boots. I guess you should be pissed off at your mommy for not laying out the proper clothes for you.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
Really. I think this thread should be renamed "the whiner's thread"

the roads are clear and the traffic is light.

If you're feet are wet perhaps you should have considered boots. I guess you should be pissed off at your mommy for not laying out the proper clothes for you.
:D

you're going bike riding today, aren't you!?

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
I didn't really care about the weather too much - it's winter - I left early and got to work on time as usual. But when the BOSS doesn't come in, but expects everyone else to... *that* pisses me off.

Edit: and - by the way - the roads are *not* clear in Ottawa. The storm only started here during the night. It's a fucking mess outside, and the wind blowing all that hail and ice pellets around is no freakin' picnic either.