• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Stop the Pain: SHINS!

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
Back in the swing of things with Ultimate as of this past Wednesday and have come across a bit of a pain. Specifically a pain in my shins. I am sure it’s because I haven’t completed the proper stretches for my legs and was wondering what can one do to alleviate this problem. I usually have a good stretching routine but need something for the shins.

peace&rocksteady

chrome splints

echo

TRIBE Member
uh oh....kinda sounds like shinsplints Ivan.

Especially because the turf you are running on is probably not as forgiving as the spongey grass in the summer.

I have never actually had them myself, tho I know others who have. I'll ask around to see what you might do to help combat this issue!!

PS. I am getting WAY better at Links my friend. Next time we play I WILL WIN :)

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
Word and word.

Not sure if they are shin splints. I think that is a more serious problem but I could be wrong.

I.

P.S. You cant test my Links skills.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echo
uh oh....kinda sounds like shinsplints Ivan.

Especially because the turf you are running on is probably not as forgiving as the spongey grass in the summer.

I have never actually had them myself, tho I know others who have. I'll ask around to see what you might do to help combat this issue!!

PS. I am getting WAY better at Links my friend. Next time we play I WILL WIN :)

this is what i was thinking it sounded like too - make sure you have a GOOD pair of running shoes so that there is less of an impact.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I second the good shoes bit.

Go to a good shoe store (ie, the Running Room), they'll test out your walking habits and recommend a few shoes that will aleviate your problems.

The magazine Runners World also has a section where they grade shoes by their purpose. (ie pronation, flat feet, etc.)

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
What I found works for shin splints is a sort of reverse calf stretch/calf extension.

Stand with your feet flat and lift and lower the fronts of your feet while keeping your heels in contact with the floor.

I had them during high school cross country and the coach suggested taping them up, and that did nothing. Finally doing some stretches solved the problem.

deep

TRIBE Member
they're shinsplints

ice after playing to reduce inflammation

good supportive running shoes

stretch the tibialis anterior (shin muscle) by kneeling with the top of your feet on the ground, so your toes are pointing behind you...

look into orthotics if you plan running a lot, as shinsplints are usually caused by an underlying biomechanical problem in the feet / lower limbs (i.e. inversion at the ankles)

antiinflammatories i.e. ibuprofen

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
chrome - ordinarily, i would say just rest up, stretch and look into getting better running shoes. but since your email also mentioned that horrible rash you have developed all over your scrotum, i think maybe you should see a doctor.

good luck.

echo

TRIBE Member
Ok, so in the time it took for me to go and talk to a girl at work here.....everyone else has already solved your problem :)

The girl here said hers went away after she started using her Nike Shox. So, it might be best to visit a store like the Running Room, like Stirry suggested, and ask them for advice on what shoes will work best with your feet etc.

I am definitely not advocating Nike Shox as I don't buy into all their crappy adverstising....but I am sure there are other shoes out there that can help with cushioning those big feets of yours!

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
but since your email also mentioned that horrible rash you have developed all over your scrotum, i think maybe you should see a doctor.

good luck.

and call every girl you know. :p that could take days, so you can do that AND rest at the same time.

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
chrome - ordinarily, i would say just rest up, stretch and look into getting better running shoes. but since your email also mentioned that horrible rash you have developed all over your scrotum, i think maybe you should see a doctor.

good luck.

I was waiitng for the funny Will post for the week and I had to wait until 4:20! God Damn it time to call it a day. Are we still on for you rubbing some medication on my sack tonight?

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
Thanks everyone for the advice (NSV GF!). I'm currently using a new pair of Nike Shox and they have got to be the best shoe I have invested in some time. I definitely need to give these shins a good stretching.

Maybe goigng to System tongith and getting shit faced tonight might help.

peace&stretchsteady

Chrome Hooker

Sassy

TRIBE Member

good luck.

hahahaha!

go see a doctor Ivan just to make sure its not serious.. and remember to stretch, strectch, and strech some more.

Good runners a must.

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
they aren't shinsplints, they're the weak, atrophied, pathetic, out of shape muscles around the shins protesting the sudden exercise.

haha just work out a couple of more times, it'll go away

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChROmE
Back in the swing of things with Ultimate as of this past Wednesday and have come across a bit of a pain. Specifically a pain in my shins. I am sure it’s because I haven’t completed the proper stretches for my legs and was wondering what can one do to alleviate this problem. I usually have a good stretching routine but need something for the shins.

peace&rocksteady

chrome splints

Shin splints??

That can be caused by people who are flat footed and who wear incorrect running shoes.

i suggest to buy Saucony running shoes. YOu can get them at Athletes World. They're awsome. so light, have a bubble in them. I bought them bc over the gym in the summer time there was an advertisment for them in the locker room and it explained what it does to your feet and what not. Sold me right away!!

vinder

TRIBE Member
it's probably stupid, placebo like, and incidental that it helped, but i found drinking milk right after having shin splints made the pain go away within 10 minutes.