• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Stop Eating Kale Now!

praktik

TRIBE Member
KALE – Why You Need to Stop Eating it Right NOW

Link

I know dear reader that you, like me, are interested in truth and well-being when it comes to food. We make sure our produce is locally sourced and organic, and that if we eat animal protein or the by-products of animals that they are ethically treated, free-range, and hormone free.

It’s important to strive to find food that’s chemical free, hormone, and antibiotic free. The old adage “If you can’t pronounce it, maybe you shouldn’t eat it” holds true.

Unfortunately I’m the bearer of bad news today. Kale – one of the biggest staples in a healthy lifestyle and a ubiquitous ingredient in our smoothies, is a veritable Chernobyl of poisons. The following list of chemicals and chemical compounds have been compiled and verified by a reliable source and cited by many different respectable peer-reviewed scientific journals. The dangers are real, and they’re based on hard facts.

After presenting the long list of potentially toxic ingredients I will provide a few links to the toxicity and dangers associated with a number of them. You don’t need to get into the details of every ingredient when you know that many are associated with blindness, deafness, nerve-damage, Alzheimer’s, and even death.

The following chemicals are found in ALL Kale (organic or otherwise – source at end of article)

1-0-Feruloyl-Beta-D-Glucose, 1-0-Sinapoyl-Beta-D-Glucose, 2-Hydroxy-But-3-Enyl-Glucosinolate, 3-Indoyl-methyl-glucosinolate, Acetyl-Choline, Alanine, Alpha-tocopherol, Ammonia(NH3), Aniline, Arachidonic-Acid, Arginine, Ascorbic-Acid, Ash, Aspartic Acid, Benzyl-Amine, Beta-Carotene, Calcium, Citric Acid, Copper, Cystine, Dimethyl-Amine, Folacin, Fumaric-Acid, Glocobrassicanapin, Gluconapin, Glutamic-Acid, Glycine, Histidine, Indole-3-Acetonitrile, Indole-3-Carboxaldehyde, Indole-3-Carboxylic-Acid, Isoleucine, Isopentyl-Amine, Kaempferol, Lauric-Acid, Leucine, Linoleic-Acid, Linolenic-Acid, Lysine, Magnesium, Malic-Acid, Manganese, Methionine, Methyl-Amine, Myristic-Acid, N-Butyl-Amine, N-Methyl-Phenethylamine, N-Pentyl-Amine, Oleic-Acid, Palmitic-Acid, Palmitoleic-Acid, Pantothenic-Acid, Phenethylamine, Porgoitrin, Proline, Quercetin, Quinic-Acid, Serine, Sinigrin, Sodium, Stearic-Acid, Succinic-Acid, Threonine, Toluidene, Tyrosine, Valine​

Copper is one on the list and as an element it has been linked to a wide range of terrible diseases including Alzheimer’s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

Methyl (also known as methanol or wood-alcohol) makes an appearance a number of times in conjunction with other chemicals and is another cause for concern. Just one of the quotes from this well-sourced page:

“Methanol has a high toxicity in humans. If as little as 10 mL of pure methanol is ingested, for example, it can break down into formic acid, which can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve,

Methanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the CDC N-Butyl-Amine is incredibly toxic, the experiments and studies cited by the CDC didn’t include long term studies but demonstrated what the LETHAL dose was in rats.

CDC - Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH): n-Butylamine - NIOSH Publications and Products

This is just three of the dozens of ingredients listed above.

The case is pretty clear; if you haven’t suffered severe debilitating illness yet you’ve dodged a bullet. The only healthy choice right now would be to stop eating Kale entirely.

OR

Don’t be fooled by chemical phobia and the patently absurd nonsense posted by unqualified bloggers like “The Food Babe”.

Literally every single thing you will ever eat or drink has a scary sounding chemical name. Not figuratively, not metaphorically…LITERALLY. Vegetables and fruits are made up of a wide range of chemical ingredients that when listed off sound scary, and when analyzed incompletely can produce truly misleading conclusions. What I’ve done above can be done with all plants, animals, and by products of plants and animals.

All of them.

All you need to do to make anything sound terrifying is to list the chemical compounds that make up the ingredients, and make misleading claims about the separate constituents that are based loosely on facts (so you can cite papers that look like they support your case when in fact they have nothing to do with whatever it is you’re actually claiming.)

Here – I’ll do it with water. Di-hydrogen Monoxide! ZOMG! Hydrogen! That is literally a highly explosive flammable compound! Monoxide?? As in one of the main ingredients in carbon-monoxide…famous for carbon monoxide poisoning! We should all stop drinking water before we all blow up or gas ourselves.

So what makes something an actual poison in actual reality (instead of the made-up nonsense in the magical make-believe worlds of Mercola, Natural News, Or Foodbabeland etc?)

Form and Dose.

For example. Chlorine gas was used in chemical warfare. Chlorine is a poison on its own and not something you would like to muck about with. It’s used to kill germs in pools, burns your eyes, and you’re not to swallow it…but we put it on our food every day. We just don’t sprinkle it on its own, it gets a little help from sodium. Sodium-Chloride is table salt.

Sodium Chloride can also be toxic, but you would have to eat quite a bit before you get to a level where it would be immediately toxic. You can however develop health problems associated with eating too much salt, so sodium chloride in moderation is okay, too much is not.

The same can be said for many, many chemical compounds, but websites like Foodbabe, Natural News, Mercola etc like to take advantage of the fact that most people don’t understand basic chemistry, and won’t go through the effort of fact-checking the links they share across the web all the time. They’ll see a few reputable links that don’t really say what the author is trying to say, but don’t understand where the disconnect is because it would require even more research and work on their part. People’s ignorance is being taken advantage of by fear-mongers trying to sell you their own unproven, untested, and potentially dangerous advices, therapies, or supplements.

So where does this leave people who want to eat healthy but don’t have the time to fact check every scary link that comes across their facebook newsfeed? Well for starters it’s important to never take anything posted by the above mentioned websites seriously at all. That will eliminate a lot of the nonsense right away.

Secondly, apply common sense to a few questions. Questions like “Generations of people have been eating this with no observable side-effects, why isn’t this front page major news everywhere?” or “Why aren’t there any links to legitimate research in this article?” or “If this were really dangerous, why is it that the only people claiming it to be dangerous are bloggers trying to sell me things and not the scientists, doctors, and researchers who actually understand the subject at hand?”

I’m not claiming that everything is completely safe, or that there are no potential health concerns out there. I’m saying that it’s important to apply legitimate research and critical thinking when figuring out if something really is a danger or not. If the overwhelming scientific consensus says it’s not dangerous after decades of research, they’re probably right.

(Source for chemical composition of Kale Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases is also a great resource for finding out the chemical composition of many other plants as well. It’s a comprehensive database compiled by scientists and researchers alike.)

Stop Bill C-10
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

orchid

TRIBE Member
I want to like kale so bad. Uncooked kale is disgusting though. If it's in my salad, I'll actually eat around it, it's just so bitter. Kale in soup though, pretty decent.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I like baking with some crushed nuts on em

but raw its more the strength of the leaf that bothers me from a chewing point of view, LOVE bitter taste so its more how difficult it is to chew. For instance in a sandwich it can be difficult when the rest gets cut by your teeth so easily and the frickin kale leaf just sits there, defying your teeth and potentially threatening the structural integrity of the sandwich layers as you eat through...

Should be banned from sandwiches, ok in other contexts!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I de-stem and then rehydrate. Makes a difference.

Speaking of which, time for lunch (Kale Swiss Chard Roasted Beet salad, etc)

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Let them eat choco hazelnut kake

cake1.jpg

orchid

TRIBE Member
My lunch has been ruined by kale. Maybe even my day or weekend. This salad was supposed to have just a *bit* of kale, and instead, it's half kale! Thanks a lot kale, for spreading your bitterness all over my life. :mad: