• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Steven Truscott to get $6.5M for wrongful conviction

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Sentenced to hang at age of 14 for murdering classmate
Last Updated: Monday, July 7, 2008 | 4:41 PM E

The Ontario government will pay Steven Truscott $6.5 million for suffering a "miscarriage of justice" and living 48 years with the stigma of being wrongfully convicted of a rape and murder he did not commit.

"We are doing what we can to bring to the conclusion this remarkable aspect of Mr. Truscott's life's journey," Ontario Attorney General Chris Bentley said Monday in Toronto.

"We are doing what we can to conclude this journey, and it is my hope that Mr. Truscott and his family will now be able to spend all their time on the rest of life's journey."

He added that Truscott's wife, Marlene, will get $100,000 in compensation for the time she spent working to clear Truscott's name.

The announcement comes almost a year after the Ontario Court of Appeal acquitted Truscott of murder in the death of his friend, 12-year-old Lynne Harper, in the southwestern Ontario town of Clinton in June 1959. The court said his conviction was a "miscarriage of justice."

Truscott was just 14 years old when he was convicted in September 1959 after a 15-day trial. He was initially sentenced to hang, making him Canada's youngest death-row inmate, but after four months on death row, the sentence was commuted to life in prison.

He was granted parole at age 24 in 1969, after serving 10 years in jail.

Bentley said the government's decision to compensate was based on the advice of retired judge Sydney Robins, who was asked to study whether compensation would be appropriate, and if so, how much should he get?
'No amount of money could ever truly compensate Steven'

In a written statement, Truscott and his wife called the compensation a "final and long-awaited step in recognizing Steve's innocence." Still, the couple said the money is bittersweet.

"Although we are grateful for the freedom and stability this award will provide, we are also painfully aware that no amount of money could ever truly compensate Steven for the terror of being sentenced to hang at the age of 14, the loss of his youth or the stigma of living for almost 50 years as a convicted murderer," the Truscotts said.

Robins, in a written report outlining how he decided how much Truscott should be paid, noted there is no legal obligation to compensate Truscott, Still, he said not compensating Truscott would leave him with a stigma, a suggestion of guilt.

MORE...

why not

TRIBE Member
the victim's family is not happy (which i find kind of fucked up):

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/canada_truscott_reaction
Victim's family stunned by Truscott compensation

Tue Jul 8, 10:11 AM

Lynne Harper's brother said the $6.5 million being paid to Steven Truscott, the man wrongfully convicted of killing his 12-year-old sister, is "a real travesty," according to a media report.

Barry Harper told the Globe and Mail in an interview published Tuesday that the idea of the compensation is so hard to take that he does not plan on breaking the news to his father, Leslie, who is in his 90s and lives in a nursing home.

Barry Harper said he's talking to lawyers, but thinks he has little chance of getting the compensation blocked.

"I don't think there's many options open," Harper told the Globe from Ohio, where he lives.

Lynne Harper was last seen alive on June 9, 1959, when she was spotted riding on the handlebars of her friend Truscott's bicycle near the air force base where they both lived in the southwestern Ontario town of Clinton. Her body was found in a wooded area two days later, showing visible signs of strangulation and rape.

Truscott, 14 at the time, was convicted of her murder in a 15-day trial and sentenced to hang, becoming the youngest Canadian inmate on death row. His sentence was commuted to life in prison four months later, and he spent the next 10 years in jail before being released on parole at the age of 24.

He lived the next three decades under an assumed name, marrying his wife, Marlene, in a secret ceremony to avoid publicity. The couple raised three children in anonymity in Guelph, Ont., before Truscott went public in 1997 in a fight to clear his name.

Truscotts said compensation is bittersweet

On Aug. 28, 2007, the Ontario Court of Appeal acquitted Truscott, and the Ontario attorney general apologized for the "miscarriage of justice" and the 48 years Truscott lived with the stigma of being labelled a rapist and murderer.

On Monday, the province announced it was paying Truscott $6.5 million to compensate him for all he endured.

Truscott and his wife called the compensation a "final and long-awaited step in recognizing Steve's innocence," although they said the money was bittersweet.

"Although we are grateful for the freedom and stability this award will provide, we are also painfully aware that no amount of money could ever truly compensate Steven for the terror of being sentenced to hang at the age of 14, the loss of his youth or the stigma of living for almost 50 years as a convicted murderer," the Truscotts said in a written statement Monday.

Caz

TRIBE Member
why not said:
the victim's family is not happy (which i find kind of fucked up):

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/canada_truscott_reaction
Victim's family stunned by Truscott compensation

Tue Jul 8, 10:11 AM

Lynne Harper's brother said the $6.5 million being paid to Steven Truscott, the man wrongfully convicted of killing his 12-year-old sister, is "a real travesty," according to a media report.

Barry Harper told the Globe and Mail in an interview published Tuesday that the idea of the compensation is so hard to take that he does not plan on breaking the news to his father, Leslie, who is in his 90s and lives in a nursing home.

Barry Harper said he's talking to lawyers, but thinks he has little chance of getting the compensation blocked.

"I don't think there's many options open," Harper told the Globe from Ohio, where he lives.

Lynne Harper was last seen alive on June 9, 1959, when she was spotted riding on the handlebars of her friend Truscott's bicycle near the air force base where they both lived in the southwestern Ontario town of Clinton. Her body was found in a wooded area two days later, showing visible signs of strangulation and rape.

Truscott, 14 at the time, was convicted of her murder in a 15-day trial and sentenced to hang, becoming the youngest Canadian inmate on death row. His sentence was commuted to life in prison four months later, and he spent the next 10 years in jail before being released on parole at the age of 24.

He lived the next three decades under an assumed name, marrying his wife, Marlene, in a secret ceremony to avoid publicity. The couple raised three children in anonymity in Guelph, Ont., before Truscott went public in 1997 in a fight to clear his name.

Truscotts said compensation is bittersweet

On Aug. 28, 2007, the Ontario Court of Appeal acquitted Truscott, and the Ontario attorney general apologized for the "miscarriage of justice" and the 48 years Truscott lived with the stigma of being labelled a rapist and murderer.

On Monday, the province announced it was paying Truscott $6.5 million to compensate him for all he endured.

Truscott and his wife called the compensation a "final and long-awaited step in recognizing Steve's innocence," although they said the money was bittersweet.

"Although we are grateful for the freedom and stability this award will provide, we are also painfully aware that no amount of money could ever truly compensate Steven for the terror of being sentenced to hang at the age of 14, the loss of his youth or the stigma of living for almost 50 years as a convicted murderer," the Truscotts said in a written statement Monday.
I don't get it, the brother still thinks it was Truscott? Why would he trust the courts to convict Truscott, but not to acquit him?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
doesn't surprise me having seen enough Datelines and such where the family doesn't budge in the face of DNA, incontrovertible evidence or confessions under duress.
He hasn't been exonerated and can't really be exonerated given the age and way they botched the case, so I doubt the family's heard any alternate theory that would really sway them being wedded to the first one for so long.

why not

TRIBE Member
kerouacdude said:
He hasn't been exonerated and can't really be exonerated given the age and way they botched the case

um,

doesn't that count as exonerated?

Caz

TRIBE Member
kerouacdude said:
doesn't surprise me having seen enough Datelines and such where the family doesn't budge in the face of DNA, incontrovertible evidence or confessions under duress.
He hasn't been exonerated and can't really be exonerated given the age and way they botched the case, so I doubt the family's heard any alternate theory that would really sway them being wedded to the first one for so long.
It just seems so weak-minded.
Grasping at straws rather than manning up and realizing shit got botched back then, and buddy got screwed out of years of his life.

Caz

TRIBE Member
I haven't read the case enough to make my own decision, but it seems to me that if a court conviction is enough for him to believe guilt, an acquittal should be enough to accept innocence.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
I'd have to think on this one for a while, I can't remember exact details, but we did a big case study on this in OAC law. Since we live nearby, we did a field trip to see if we could identify cars from the bridge to the road, we could for sure. I'll have a look back throguh my notes and see, but I totally agree with giving Truscott something for stealing 30-40 years of his life from him.

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
Imagine suddenly, out of nowhere being thrown in jail for the better part of your life, all your peak years, your youth — and even worse, knowing you didn't do anything wrong...

No amount of money could make me take that scenario. I'm glad amends are being made. As for the victim's family, I think it's whack they act like he still did it, but who are we to speak having never been through such a trauma...

They 're probably more frustrated than ever that the guilty party got away with it.

Caz

TRIBE Member
todiefor said:
They 're probably more frustrated than ever that the guilty party got away with it.
Still. Taking it out on buddy who was just acquitted is lamespice on a weak casserole.

Fix up, homeboy didn't snuff your sis.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
This dude also got pumped full of LSD and Sodium Penthol on deathrow to get a confession.

Yeah. Some compensation is probably in order.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
why not said:
um,

doesn't that count as exonerated?
No. Being acquitted of charges and being exonerated are not the same thing.

It's like with Baltovich. They can acquit him because there's such wanting "evidence" against him, but barring some unlikely discovery of evidence that completely points to someone else, he's not going to get exonerated coz no one can fully establish his innocence.

Anybody who can say with 100% conviction Truscott is innocent are using faith and belief and sympathy for what he's gone through. Being innocent and being not guilty are not the same thing, legally.

The only thing that can be said with legal certainty is that he was cajoled and railroaded into a quick conviction and arrest and that it was a ridiculously bad investigation which compromised exploring other avenues. That's why he's getting money. But in all these years, unfortunately, no journalist or lawyer or whomever has been able to totally clear him and no one has been able to bring more than strong suspicions about other people. They couldn't get a usable DNA sample.

It's pretty easy to sit back two generations as a total outsider and say, wow, 'He got shafted, I don't think he did it.' But it's also pretty cavalier to throw out words like "weak minded" when describing the family's reaction.

Was the family supposed to jump in the air and say wow, the fifth estate found a weirdo who was in the area, let's believe that because the police did a pisspoor job? Instead of what they do know for certain, which is that Truscott was the last person to see her alive. The police and legal misconduct didn't have anything to do with them.

why not

TRIBE Member
kerouacdude said:
No. Being acquitted of charges and being exonerated are not the same thing.

It's like with Baltovich. They can acquit him because there's such wanting "evidence" against him, but barring some unlikely discovery of evidence that completely points to someone else, he's not going to get exonerated coz no one can fully establish his innocence.

Anybody who can say with 100% conviction Truscott is innocent are using faith and belief and sympathy for what he's gone through. Being innocent and being not guilty are not the same thing, legally.

The only thing that can be said with legal certainty is that he was cajoled and railroaded into a quick conviction and arrest and that it was a ridiculously bad investigation which compromised exploring other avenues. That's why he's getting money. But in all these years, unfortunately, no journalist or lawyer or whomever has been able to totally clear him and no one has been able to bring more than strong suspicions about other people. They couldn't get a usable DNA sample.

It's pretty easy to sit back two generations as a total outsider and say, wow, 'He got shafted, I don't think he did it.' But it's also pretty cavalier to throw out words like "weak minded" when describing the family's reaction.

Was the family supposed to jump in the air and say wow, the fifth estate found a weirdo who was in the area, let's believe that because the police did a pisspoor job? Instead of what they do know for certain, which is that Truscott was the last person to see her alive. The police and legal misconduct didn't have anything to do with them.

i'm not sure you're using the same definition of exonerated as everyone else is.