• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Stereo Receiver help

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I spoke to a guy at BBR today and he confirmed your opinion on the cheaper bluetooth receivers Kyfe, he says the high end ones like the Arcam give you way more range and quality, and the cheaper ones are nothing but headaches. So it's looking like I'm gonna buy this vintage Marantz receiver and couple it with a high end bluetooth receiver.

excited to get this done, thanks all
Sorry I meant to get back to your on the rocketfish, essentially the range on it sucks the bag, it's supposed to be 30ft but the signal is easily blocked, most people resort to leaving their phone next to the receiver (which defeats the entire purpose)

Glad to hear you got sorted, you must have me over once it's set up so I can hear it humm

oeretS

TRIBE Member
I got this for the dining room:

Marantz 2235 Receiver - fully serviced and sounding so good

this preamp for the turntable: Pro-Ject Phono Box

Arcam Bluetooth Receiver

2 zones for sound - in-wall speakers pointing to the living room and some beautiful old 70s Sonics for the dining room

I'll try to get a pic of the setup soon, but it looks and sounds pretty sick. All wires hidden, custom housing for the Sonics speakers. I've got the turntable on one side of the room and the receiver on another - ran about 30 ft of cables and wires through the wall, up a pillar, across the ceiling, down a pillar to connect lol.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Nice Marantz... My dad had pne.of the Quadrophonic recievers from back then... I remember an ad from back then where an owners house burnt diwn they recovered the Marantz plugged it in and it worked... Nice set up you have there...

Vise

TRIBE Member
Cool setup dude... not exactly my style but definitely appreciate the love for the vintage electronics. That contrasts pretty huge from the setup in my kitchen... consisting of a cheap 20" all in one PC (running a shared iTunes library) through a set of KRK Rokit 5 powered monitors.

Kicks some ass blasting tunes when I cook dinner though... :D

Vise

TRIBE Member
someone suggested this new NAD line which seems to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for

NAD D3020 Hybrid Digital Amplifier with Bluetooth D3020

Digging this up from the dead as I'm looking at updating the speaker/audio setup connected to the PC in my home office. Originally looking at a set of powered monitors (possibly PSB Alpha PS1 + SubSeries 100) but thanks to some advice from my A/V dealer I've now started to look at a dedicated two channel stereo setup with an option to add a sub down the road. Always wanted a decent 2 channel stereo setup but don't have a dedicated space in my house... until I realized my desk is perfect not to mention the direct connection to 200gb of music.

I need something small since it will be on my desk in between/underneath my dual monitors... right now looking the NAD D3020 mentioned above vs the Teac A-H01. The NAD needs no introduction but is a bit pricey against the Teac unit (which is also very well reviewed). Speakers are still TBD but a nice small bookshelf from Monitor Audio may work just fine.

Anyways, looking to see if there are any other recommendation I might be missing for a compact integrated stereo amp with USB input + subwoofer output. Thanks y'all...

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Thread bump....

I'm interested in a few things:
A good soundbar for an as yet to be purchased tv for the bedroom

An audio receiver and 5.1 speaker system to do the small rec room/cool dad
Disco in the basement.

And a wireless speaker system for the open concept main floor

Thoughts?

(I'm also looking at doing mesh WiFi network for the house)

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Thread bump....

I'm interested in a few things:
A good soundbar for an as yet to be purchased tv for the bedroom

An audio receiver and 5.1 speaker system to do the small rec room/cool dad
Disco in the basement.

And a wireless speaker system for the open concept main floor

Thoughts?

(I'm also looking at doing mesh WiFi network for the house)
sonos

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I like their product, but not their price.
I can agree with that, H have a 5.1 setup (playbar,sub and 2 play ones) also have a one in the dining room (voice activation doesn't work yet)
they are great and would suit your needs but as you've pointed out they are expensive.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
Looking for some thoughts since I don't know much about these things these days but I got a 4K TV but my 5.1 receiver does not do 4K pass through and looking into a new unit seems a bit pricey so I am wondering if selling off my old receiver and speakers and going to soundbar route would be a good alternative.

I do like having backs speakers and the whole 5.1 not to many soundbars that I have seen do that unless you are spending a fortune I think, please correct me if I am wrong there.

budget wise I would like to keep it somewhere between 200-400 bucks depending on what's available out there

mostly use TV for gaming and netflixing

praktik

TRIBE Member
Well one option is to keep your video sources all going with their HDMI to tv And then have the t.v. do the audio return to your amp with an optical - not all tvs do 5.1 digital pass through though.

Just don't do video through the amp anymore!

One issue is with video formats changing more often than audio formats maybe you don't want to be in game of moving video through your amp anymore.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
Well one option is to keep your video sources all going with their HDMI to tv And then have the t.v. do the audio return to your amp with an optical - not all tvs do 5.1 digital pass through though.

Just don't do video through the amp anymore!

One issue is with video formats changing more often than audio formats maybe you don't want to be in game of moving video through your amp anymore.
that is what I am doing for right now but I thought you get better sound through HDMI then you do through optical, like HDMI I can go PCM, but optical I have to go Dobly or DTS unless I am wrong, it just seems a big waste of space if all this receiver I have is used for is one optical plug in....I was wondering if I just sell off the unit and go the soundbar route I would be saving on space a little than having the a/v clunker

praktik

TRIBE Member
Maybe hang tight til the hdr mess gets settled, Dolby vision vs not, HDMI standards..
Or if you must just ensure you get absolute highest HDMI standard available, and has best hdr coverage across formats

Should last a good 3-5 years

That said I think sound quality should be mostly identical HDMI vs optical question is really what standards are passed or not passed by t.v. logic, in which case you could be stripping out a standard you like like dts or 7.1 etc