1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Stereo Receiver help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by oeretS, Nov 1, 2013.

1. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

hey dudes, some audio help here: I'm looking for a new stereo receiver that is simple but quality. I don't need a 10" high tank with 7.1 channels etc - I want something slim and stylish, that has input for a couple of devices and preferably some bluetooth/wireless capabilities. Any recommendations?

this is just for music btw, not home theatre

thanks!

2. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I have a Hafler PRO1200 that I am not using and could probably sell. It is a power amp. Built like tank. Clean as fuck. No bluetooth though. Looks Like:

[​IMG]

4. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

You could hack that probably with a arduino board with a bluetooth add on... Do a search fir arduino blutooth stereo...

5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Marantz has exactly what you're looking for

6. alexd

That would be an interesting project modifying this awesome power amp like that....

7. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

some good suggestions here, thanks. I just realized that the NAD pictured above has no AM/FM tuner which is important for me, so that might be out... gonna head over to BBR this afternoon and see what's up

8. Aaron Bradley

Aaron Bradley TRIBE Promoter

oeretS - you have your stereo stuff all backwards - hehehe. Just had to say that.

Glad to hear about your good news!

AB

9. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

you need to look at this one

Rich Hope's new Receiver

10. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

that's good Shawn, thanks - gonna check one out

11. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

reading about that Marantz, I see that the "Apple Airplay" connectivity requires a hard line from a router to the receiver. That won't work for me. It doesn't have bluetooth either, but is compatible with a $99 Marantz bluetooth receiver.

If I bought the $99 add-on it would work for me but surely SOMETHING must be out there that is slim built, has a radio tuner, and bluetooth / wifi built in.

12. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

How about the Teac CR-H260i?

[​IMG]

Bluetooth, USB, SD Card, CD player
    FM.AM Tuner
    2 Aux inputs
    1 Aux output

Product: CR-H260i | TEAC

13. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

Although its not exactly slim the Onkyo 626 would appear to have everything you're looking for at a very reasonable price... pretty sure you can find it around $500ish. Overkill yes but it has the full network, wireless, bluetooth capabilities you are looking for... and likely difficult to find in a simple 2 channel stereo receiver.

14. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

the Onkyo is too bulky, need something more slim/sexy for the dining room where its going. Teac does appear to have the functionality but I'm not crazy about the look of that either and I haven't played a CD in years

15. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

BBR has it I believe

16. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

another question - can you buy a bluetooth receiver like this and connect it to the line input of ANY amp or receiver? Like even a vintage one?

This would potentially solve my issues, I could just get a sweet vintage receiver and add a bluetooth device to it...

17. alexd

Looks like it can be done with that.

I wonder what the transmission latency is with bluetooth....

18. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

curious about that too, as well as how much sound quality is lost by doing this. I'm guessing not all bluetooth receivers are created equal, as in some (more expensive ones) receive a better signal? I honestly have no clue

19. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

I'm onto a new plan:

this receiver
    [​IMG]

with a bluetooth receiver into the aux jack:

either an expensive one like this or a cheaper one like this, still have to do some research on that front...

20. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

That receiver doesn't look very slim.

Why not get an airport express and use it to stream music wirelessly? (Basically the same thing as airplay)

21. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

you're right it's not slim, but shorter than a lot of the current ones. Plus the one I'm looking at doesn't have the wood frame which takes a bit off too.

This is for my dining room which has beautiful vintage wood wood speakers and a turntable. I'm thinking this beauty will fit right in

22. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

That'll match your speakers nicely.

As for the blue tooth question. the signal on everything I've tested is really solid, if you're looking at something that is either 2.0 or 3.0 you should be fine.

As for sound quality with 1.0 and 1.2 bluetooth I did notice that it sounded hollow and some aspects tinny. But that's old tech these days.

23. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

and don't bother with the rocketfish

24. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

why is the rocketfish shit? I don't need a ton of range capability but if the sound quality is junk then I will get one of the better ones - just tough to swallow a $250 price tag for a bluetooth receiver!

25. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

I spoke to a guy at BBR today and he confirmed your opinion on the cheaper bluetooth receivers Kyfe, he says the high end ones like the Arcam give you way more range and quality, and the cheaper ones are nothing but headaches. So it's looking like I'm gonna buy this vintage Marantz receiver and couple it with a high end bluetooth receiver.

excited to get this done, thanks all