• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Stephen Colbert to replace David Letterman

oeretS

TRIBE Member
love this news, I figured he couldn't carry on with that character forever.

But is he not too left wing for this gig? That was my first thought. Will he be willing to go more "center" with his comedy?

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
the strength of colbert's show has always been the character that he plays, the over-the-top ultra right-wing nut-bar. i wonder if he will be giving that character up, as the focus of THE LATE SHOW would be more on interviewing the celebrity guests.

Edit: i posted this before reading oerets' post. i haven't heard yet whether colbert will be giving up his "character" when he hosts THE LATE SHOW, but would be interested to know if that's the plan.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
there's no way he stays in character for The Late Show. Excited to see what kind of a comedian he is beyond the Report character

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
If he did the show with his character the show would be ruined.

I'm interested to see Colbert as Colbert and not as "Colbert".

praktik

TRIBE Member
TO be honest I'd almost prefer he keeps the comedy central show - but I get the feeling the potentially larger audience means his subversiveness could be even more potent.

It's good news but i just love the show and stuff he's doing currently. Watch every show.

praktik

TRIBE Member
You just know this guy is the right guy to give a megaphone to:

I go back and watch this every now and then..;)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
colbert's white house correspondence dinner speech is awesome. the other one that is on par is conan o'brien's, if memory serves.

i've never seen him do an interview where he's not making fun of, and trying to be funnier than, the interviewee. it will be interesting indeed to see how he is as a "regular" host.

praktik

TRIBE Member
i think he gives an excellent interview... sometimes its just golden what he can get out of people with that style.

1 time out of 10 the guest can't deal with it..;)

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Seriously not a hater.

Didn't like Jimmy Fallon replacing Jay Leno, don't like Stephen Colbert taking over for David Letterman. There were definitely better choices for those 2 seats!

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Only time will tell whether the choices are good. And, it is always better to wear new shoes than to fill old ones.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Let's be real: Colbert has energy and talent to spare.

Wouldn't count him out on making the transition with a splash.

dig this

TRIBE Member
Let's be real: Colbert has energy and talent to spare.

Wouldn't count him out on making the transition with a splash.
Definitely... I just hope he doesn't dilute his humour too much.

Wonder why CBS went with him - obviously a rather significant change in direction.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I know Colbert is super talented and will probably do well, but I can't help wonder if dropping his partisan faux-anger is going to let him stay as interesting.

Yet I still see him as HEAPS more talented than Jimmy Fallon.

praktik

TRIBE Member
love this news, I figured he couldn't carry on with that character forever.

But is he not too left wing for this gig? That was my first thought. Will he be willing to go more "center" with his comedy?
Rush Limbaugh and Ben Shapiro Completely Freak Out About Stephen Colbert Getting Late Show | Alternet

"CBS has just declared war on the heartland of America," Limbaugh sputtered on his show. "No longer is comedy going to be a covert assault on traditional American values, conservatism. Now it's just wide out in the open. What this hire means is a redefinition of what is funny, and a redefinition of what is comedy. They're blowing up the 11:30 format... they hired a partisan, so-called comedian, to run a comedy show."

oeretS

TRIBE Member
"CBS has just declared war on the heartland of America," Limbaugh sputtered on his show. "No longer is comedy going to be a covert assault on traditional American values, conservatism. Now it's just wide out in the open. What this hire means is a redefinition of what is funny, and a redefinition of what is comedy. They're blowing up the 11:30 format... they hired a partisan, so-called comedian, to run a comedy show."
as much of a blowhard as Limbaugh is with this statement, his sentiment is probably correct here. Everything we've seen of Colbert so far has been pretty scathing and ruthless towards non-liberals.

as much of a blowhard as Limbaugh is with this statement, his sentiment is probably correct here. Everything we've seen of Colbert so far has been pretty scathing and ruthless towards non-liberals.
Oh please - you're saying that a half hour show that airs four times a week compares to FOX TV or the other right wing punditry that goes on 24/7?

And if Ben Shapiro is honestly under the impression that Colbert's act is similar to racism in his comparing it to a blackface routine, do you not think that's pretty much ripe for mocking?

praktik

TRIBE Member
Realized after I posted we all aren't clear enough when using left/right.

So Colbert is pretty merciless to the washington nexus - in general - comprised of all the leading democrats, republicans, press corps, lobbyists and hangers on.

On social issues - pretty clear he's merciless to the Bigot Brigade, of whom Rush is a leading, if not THE leading member.

So Rush is right to feel victimized - but it's for entirely the RIGHT reasons. Shaming like Colbert does is what we need to show these guys for who they really are.

But he doesn't pull his punches with establishment democrats either, so it would't be fair to say he is "partisan". He's just especially anti-"social conservative".

praktik

TRIBE Member
David Letterman also hasn't been especially nice to conservatives either being pretty clearly centre-left and after all they already have Jay leno.

You're just gonna hear the typical victim-narrative, boo hoo all the liberals gang up on us and are mean, Big Liberal Media whining - this is fodder for the Conserva Bubble. Another fact supporting a conspiracy of Evil Liberal intent to control America through their media empire.

Just more bleating and winging, really. More fear and ritual anger. At this point that shit is fully automated. They have a news cycle to feed too you know!

oeretS

TRIBE Member
So Rush is right to feel victimized - but it's for entirely the RIGHT reasons. Shaming like Colbert does is what we need to show these guys for who they really are.
I completely agree with that, but you're talking about a show and format (network late night) that historically tries to capture the middle. Cable traditionally is the territory for the more opinionated and slanted stuff - like Comedy Network and Fox News. Political bias on late night on network television has always been present of course, but never a focal point.

If Colbert brings a similar tone to CBS, Rush is correct that he will change the comedy landscape to some extent