• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

staying motivated to stay in shape

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
^ i got my black pants at costco last year...not the greatest maybe, but super cheap if anyone is looking for a pair.

oh i finally joined a gym! signed up at the extreme on the danforth, since it's near where i live. they gave me several months free when i signed up and so far everyone has been super nice to me! really great facility too, seems like they really take care of it.

had to go for a "fitness assessment" and i thought they were just going to try and sell me a bunch of stuff but it ended up being really good. the trainer was awesome and made me feel really good about my body, plus he helped come up with a couple goals for me (nothing major).

yay gym!

sk8

TRIBE Member
LOL!!

I was going to suggest roots - I love my yoga pants from there and they've held up really well.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
woo! i wore the cropped ones and my snazzy new little hooded tank top last night and looooved both of them.

so comfy, wicked the sweat away and held everything in. being on a treadmill and no jiggling = awesome.

orchid

TRIBE Member
my current motivation: leaving for costa rica in 2 weeks from today. :D

when the trip was booked about a month ago, i promised myself i would go to the gym 4-5 times per week, but things have gotten in the way here and there, and i haven't made it as much as i wanted to. now i have the next 2 weeks to get myself ready for the bikini. shudder. but it will be done, and it will feel good.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
It's that time of year! I just rented a locker and paid for towel service at my school's 23 million dollar monster gym. I plan on swimming and doing their kick boxing and cycle classes.

I dislike gyms but it's a brand new facility and looks really nice, I'm trying to make it my third home (after my actual home and my lab).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

skyparty

TRIBE Member
Yup, i've been every day since the new year started!

hubby won't let me get my trainer back (osap payments! rent! bills! we can't afford it!), and I even asked for time for xmas~ i think i've gained back every inch I lost! except that I am stronger that i use to be still... so there is hope!

just gotta do things on my own i guess, and that sucks ASS!!!!!

i miss it so much.

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
just gotta do things on my own i guess, and that sucks ASS!!!!!.
You can totally do things on your own. By working with a trainer you probably learned a bit about doing things with the proper form etc. so you just need to carry that over.

If you need some inspiration for work out routines try picking up a copy of fitness magazine/self etc. They usually have different routines in each issue put together by different trainers with photos and explanations...I've used excercises I read about in those magazines a bunch of times.

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
went to my usual spin class this morning and had my ass handed to me. That's what a ton of weed & beer over the past month will do. Oh yeah and maybe excessive eating too :(

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
i hate how busy the gym gets in january with all those people who you know will only be there for one month anyway. on monday there was this chick there with her boyfriend, and i swear they were straight off of jersey shore. they spent time just taking up space and making out AND she was wearing motherfucking denim short shorts.

motivation for working out? getting more buff so i can beat the crap out of people like this in the real world if i ever have to.

/rant.

ila

TRIBE Member
oh yeah. the new year's resolutionists are clogging shit up. they'll be gone by the 3rd week of January though. always are.

skyparty

TRIBE Member
You can totally do things on your own. By working with a trainer you probably learned a bit about doing things with the proper form etc. so you just need to carry that over.
I've been using the workbook she made me, and although I don't have someone giving me that extra push it's a start! and now that my schedule's changed, i have a lot more time to work out and that's awesome!

If you need some inspiration for work out routines try picking up a copy of fitness magazine/self etc. They usually have different routines in each issue put together by different trainers with photos and explanations...I've used excercises I read about in those magazines a bunch of times.
thanks i'll check those out!!

ila

TRIBE Member
did you almost puke? whenever I try to play hockey again after a break, I get so winded I dry heave all over the place.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
oh yeah. the new year's resolutionists are clogging shit up. they'll be gone by the 3rd week of January though. always are.
I had several of those things you complained about happen to me. Most notably a girl blocking my locker for several minutes even though she was already dressed. I had just rented a locker so I was having trouble getting the lock open because they use their own locks and I felt retarded pushing her out of the way and then not being able to open my lock easily. The class I wanted to try out was full so I did the elliptical beside several girls who didn't know how to use it.

Today I might go swimming, the pool looked pretty empty. I'm a strong swimmer so it'll be nice to do something I'm good at that's also a good workout.

Working out with people several years younger than me wearing a lot more makeup and hair products (even the guys) was kind of entertaining by the end, although at first it was kind of hellish. I have to stay in anthropologist mode.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sk8

TRIBE Member
did you almost puke? whenever I try to play hockey again after a break, I get so winded I dry heave all over the place.
no puking thankfully. Just jell-o legs and a slightly bruised tailbone from one of those awesome catching-your-edge-when-noone-is-near-you falls.

ila

TRIBE Member
I had several of those things you complained about happen to me. Most notably a girl blocking my locker for several minutes even though she was already dressed. I had just rented a locker so I was having trouble getting the lock open because they use their own locks and I felt retarded pushing her out of the way and then not being able to open my lock easily. The class I wanted to try out was full so I did the elliptical beside several girls who didn't know how to use it.
Booooo!!!! So frustrating.

Yesterday the woman beside me on the treadmill walked at 3.5 for 45 minutes on a zero incline at prime gym time. She was probably in her 40s. I'll never understand why people take up gym equipment to basically just stand on it. Her calorie expenditure was like 100 and I'm sure her heart rate never got above resting pace (I looked over a few times because I couldn't believe what a shit head she was). She could accomplish the same strolling around the mall below us for 45 minutes, not taking up the time some runner or incline walker could have used.

Really made me angry.

Same as the idiots who use the weight machines as like a seat to watch what's up in the rest of the gym. Mooooooooo-oooove over, ffs. It's not a chair.

starr

TRIBE Member
You ladies are impressive. I have realized that gyms and me don't mix. I have to do 'natural activities' for exercise. That or Pilates which I adore. I've pretty much nailed my exercise routine during summer & fall...it's tennis and in winter it's skating, but I find it so much harder to motivate myself during winter. I've put myself on a pretty strict budget recently so as motivation I've decided I'm rewarding myself with $50 each time I go skating for at least 45 minutes. I'm hoping this will get me to once or twice a week at least. Will let you know if I have any success. :)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
^ are you a good skater? I just bought skates this year (went once) but I realized I kind of stink, lucky for my bf is pretty good skater so I hold on to his arm and he keeps me from falling

Any one U of T?

I have never noticed a large influx like most priavate gyms, but it was pretty busy yesterday! It's not very fancy though, no tvs or anything. No treadmills either (though I kinda wicht they had them) I like how all the cardio equipment faces the track so you watch other people watching you. Good for people watching. I saw more then one person running in bare feet (socks) is this a new thing?

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
Booooo!!!! So frustrating.

Yesterday the woman beside me on the treadmill walked at 3.5 for 45 minutes on a zero incline at prime gym time. She was probably in her 40s. I'll never understand why people take up gym equipment to basically just stand on it. Her calorie expenditure was like 100 and I'm sure her heart rate never got above resting pace (I looked over a few times because I couldn't believe what a shit head she was). She could accomplish the same strolling around the mall below us for 45 minutes, not taking up the time some runner or incline walker could have used.

Really made me angry.
yes! i hate this! go walk in the mall idiot...it's free.

ughh and all the trainers are on the prowl, trying to get new clients. this chick "jooli" spent like 20 minutes pretending to "help" me with some weight exercises and then tried to get me to come in again later to work out with her. come on, try it, the first session is free....you know who else uses those sales tactics? drug dealers. not only made me feel bad about my body, but poor because i can't afford training.

Bean

TRIBE Member
I saw more then one person running in bare feet (socks) is this a new thing?
are you talking about footwear similar to these:

Vibram Five Fingers: Discover the Barefooting Alternative

i haven't tried them but have been reading up on them. i'm not ready to take the plunge.

i've been seeing a trainer for the last month or so and wow, what a difference it's made to my workouts. she's helping me reach my goals, showing me exercises (I have a limited knowledge) and helping me with my form. it's totally an indulgence for me.

another amazing thing: wow, I can run again. i injured both knees this summer, went through phsyio (muscle engagement, muscle activation) and strength training (mostly single leg). i started running again last week (indoor track at my gym) and wow, no knee pain.

ladies, if you're strength training your legs, I really recommend doing single leg strength training. naturally, everyone has one leg that's stronger than the other and by strength training both at the same time (think leg extension or leg press machines), the stronger leg compensates for the weaker one.

some food for thought! :)

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
The theory behind barefoot running is that shoes hinder your foot's natural muscle movements and can create injuries. But if you've worn shoes your whole life and have poorly developed feet muscles it wouldn't be good to try running barefoot out of nowhere.
I agree that certain shoes prevent your feet from moving normally. I read an article that said the more expensive your shoes are the more likely you are to get an injury, so nike and other big companies are studying barefoot runners (apparently some south american/mexican people can run for hours barefoot with no warm up) to see how to make shoes better.

I went swimming for 30 minutes and it was amazing. My triceps are killed. I feel totally relaxed and my headache/tension is gone.

orchid

TRIBE Member
ouch. last post in january.....

anyone go to curves? do you like it, have you seen results? what's the deal with it? is it like a personal trainer helping you, or do they just set you up on a program to follow? do you find it's easier to stay motivated to go? and what is the price point for membership?

thanks!

hope everyone's keeping fit this summer! i'm *trying*. had to give up my gym membership b/c i moved, and though i am now biking to work every day, i am feeling pudgy without more exercise than that.

Plaikate

TRIBE Member
I haven't tried Curves but Goodlife Fitness is only $50 a month and you can go to any gym across Canada. I joined after my knee surgery in February (acl repair from a soccer injury) and have been very happy with it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders