• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Starwars The Old Republic

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
OMFG Amazing.

Currently in beta this weekend. OMFG. Awesome. lvl 13 right now. Dreading having to do it again but the most polished beta i've ever seen. Stable like a ROCK.

CiG

TRIBE Member
Story line is the only thing saving this game.

Without it I don't think it would set apart too much from other MMOs.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
The space battles are totes fun almost like a mini game.

There are tons of wow like quests that you pickup and do along with the story line. It's excatly like wow in that regard. EVERY quest has a voice acting.

uhh It's starwars so tons of lore. I have like 3 compainions and a robot pet.

Each job (4) has two branches. Which is a lot of varity in the end because there are also 3 skill trees.

Around lvl 18 the galaxy opens up and you can go to a ton of zones like hoth tantooi and a bunch others.

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
I played in the Beta as well this weekend and loved it. Having played WoW for a number of years and stopping due to boredom, this has totally re-peaked my interest in MMO's.

I found the voice acting made a HUGE difference. It felt like the single player experience of Mass Effect while questing, but in a shared environment.

For a Beta is was super stable. Didn't crash out once. Friday night stress test was brutal trying to log on, but that was expected as that was the whole point (3 hour queue!) A few minor bugs, but they didn't impact gameplay at all.

Really looking forward to the next Beta weekend!

God, what server were you on?

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Juyro or something like that.

I missed the friday que I logged in and never logged back out haha. never had a problem even Sunday night when the server bar was showing all red i was in faster than it takes to turn on the ps3 and THINK about logging into dcuo.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
have any of you preordered the game, its showing all online sources to be sold out, even for the limited edition, im calling ebgames this morning.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Should we roll Dark Side or Light Side?

the sith inquisitor sorcerer looks freaking hella bad ass, the Jedi Consular is pretty sick to, and it looks like they specialize in healing or stealth like dps.

from the people who have played the BETA, what did you choose?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Yeah i healed in WoW with a Pally, and had a Rogue for DPS and a Shaman spec'd dps as well.

But i only ever raid healed(little bit of PvP), and used my Rogue mostly in PvP, i want to start of as DPS this time !!!!

Arent the Tanks the Jedi Knights spec'd Gaurdian, and the Consulars are either healing or DPS ? For Light side ?

And the Sith Warrior Juggernaut Spec is Dark Side Tank while the Inq is Heals or DPS again from the class specs on the SWTOR site.

Last edited:

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Apparently healing is pretty tough with tageting or something iunno.

I did a 4 man raid with a healer it is was dope but I mostly solo'd duo'd.

I rolled a Jedi Sentinel. Which I HATED for a while anyway. I went the DPS route and surprisingly there wernt a ton of sentinels that I found.

I had to build up via melee to unleash some sick zen abilities but usually the mobs were dead by then. I think the job was pure DD for PVP/Higher end mobs.

My brother seemed to tank in most of the heroics we did as a ranged Commando.
You can also tank semi melee ranged with some specs.

I think I might try rolling light smuggler next time.

The last day of beta I dropped my 30 sentential and picked up dark bounty hunter and it was extremely fun being ranged opposed to being constantly in melee range.

The darkside was just too dark. 5 lvls in and some quest I end up shooting dead some kids dad right in-front of him I was pretty sad after that and was trying to be a lightside empire bounty hunter which was lame so I gave up after lvl 10.

Jedi Sentinel = Dps

Last edited:

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
aight im down for rolling lightside, if you are ranged DPS, and Todd Tanks, then i will go Melee DPS, and we just need a healer !

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Trooper : Vangaurd

Unstoppable and utterly fearless, Vanguards wade into battle wearing
advanced heavy armor. They are the first and best line of defense in the Republic military. These steadfast soldiers ignore personal risk, deliberately stepping into the line of fire to divert danger from allies and innocents.
Though their tactical role is inherently dangerous, Vanguards have an
uncanny survivability due to their expert defensive tactics and the
advanced technology at their disposal.
Trooper : Commando

Trained in advanced assault tactics and weaponry, Commandos charge
battlefields with massive blaster cannons, overwhelming their enemies
with brute firepower. Whether taking out an enemy bunker with focused
fire or driving back an Imperial charge with a hail of concussive bolts,
the Commando’s high-powered hardware dominates the scene, laying
waste to all unfortunates who fall within its range. Many of the
Republic’s greatest military victories can be credited to the
decisive actions of a Commando in the field.
Smuggler : Gunslinger

Master of the trick shot, the first to dive for cover and willing to
take advantage of every opportunity, the Gunslinger and his dual
blasters are the perfect team. The Gunslinger can shoot out a man's
legs to keep him from charging, blind him so he can't get to his weapons
or inflict serious injuries for maximum distraction. There's a right target for
ending every disagreement and the Gunslinger knows them like the inside of his ship.
Smuggler : Scoundrel

The Scoundrel doesn't have time for politeness or a fair fight.
In addition to his trusty blaster the Scoundrel packs a stealth belt, a
scattergun and a med pack--everything he needs to get in, knock the
enemy for a loop and get out alive. Being invisible works best, but even
when Sith fly through the air waving Lightsabers all they get to do is look surprised as the Scoundrel's scattergun sends them back the way they came. The Scoundrel always shoots first.
Jedi Knight : Gaurdian

A wall between the good people of the Republic and their enemies, the Guardian stands firm in the face of overwhelming odds and dares opponents to attack.
Perfect concentration and use of the Force allows smooth movement even
in heavy armor--making the Guardian a hard target to take down. Leaders
on and off the battlefield, Guardians are known for inspiring allies to
amazing feats, making them invaluable for conflicts of any size.
Jedi Knight : Sentinel

Control and focus are the hallmarks of the Sentinel.
Through years of training the Sentinel learns the art of using
two Lightsabers simultaneously to create an intricate web of damage
that is almost impossible to evade. Manipulating the Force, the Sentinel can
see holes in the enemy defense, potential flaws in their own technique and how best to plan for both.
Jedi Consular : Sage

VIEW OTHER SPECIALIZATION:Shadow
The mysteries of the Force are endless. A Jedi Sage, deeply attuned to the
Force and devoted to uncovering its esoteric secrets, knows this better
than any in the galaxy. These masters of the Force are famed for their
wisdom and empathy as much as they are for their powerful healing and defensive skills. In troubled times, a Sage brings together the wisdom
of the past with cutting insight and the power of the Force to change
the flow of galactic events.
Jedi Consular : Shadow

A Shadow serves the Jedi Order by being a silent observer and, when action is necessary, a subtle hand. To avoid rash decisions on the part of the Council, Shadows go unseen, gathering information and quietly thwarting those
who seek to threaten the Jedi order. Employing Force techniques
that cloud enemy minds, Shadows slip into hostile territory,
and when necessary, they strike enemies down with
deadly efficiency.

If todd still wants a Consular : Shadow i might roll a Jedi Knight : Gaurdian :)

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I'm also thinking gaurdian lol.

I never really tank cause I like to solo but it might be worth a shot since epic gear is soooooo helpful in this game.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
So i have been doing some reading, and it seems the dark side has two healing classes, the IA can heal like a Paladin heals, while providing ranged dps, and the SI with sorcery can also heal while doing dps.

Meanwhile the only healing class for the republic is the JC Sage, and apparently they can DPS and heal at the same time, im not sure how effective that is going to be.

this also means there will be less healers on the Republic Side... which is balls.

The Gaurdian class also has 2 different DPS trees other than the tanking Tree, and the Sentinal is apparently possibly the most DPS in the game !

i love dual wielding, and they wear medium armour, and apparently can do AOE damage, full DPS to a singular opponent, and can do huge amount fo burst damage.

So i might go the route of Jedi Night Sentinel if they are that capable :)

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Consular:Shadow is the WoW equivalent of the Druid bear tank. You achieve higher armor rating through talents and you have larger than average damage reduction through avoidance and parry.

Basically Consulars are much like WoW Druids, they can tank/mdps/rdps/heal given the proper specs.

SWTOR Jedi Consular Guide | Star Wars The Old Republic Jedi Consular

Gonna pre-order it now.
very interesting.

ive never played a caster that didnt also melee( Pally and Shaman )

im really tempted to roll a consular or a sentinel.

Im going to stop by ebgames and do the same tonight after work.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
i love dual wielding, and they wear medium armour, and apparently can do AOE damage, full DPS to a singular opponent, and can do huge amount fo burst damage.

So i might go the route of Jedi Night Sentinel if they are that capable :)
The aoe is pretty bad. You are basically meleeing using a few minor abilities until you have Zen and the stance that is Dps has an ability that you can spam for 6 hits that deals about 250 per saber. This method owns for PVP. Not so much when soloing a bunch of lower mobs.

Your companion IMHO should back you up but for some reason they ones you get for sentinel are meh. The first one is a robot thats the worst. You hit your force leap to pull a mob for you opening attack. (force leap send you flying to the mob) then your partner pulls the mob all the way to them with it's first abilitiy so you have to run alll the way back. You can change these but meh.

The second is your padawan who; i don't know what she is, she has light armour and a saber staff but no cool abilities that are any different than my own. Zero healing.

My bro's camando has a healer and something else.

Last edited: