• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Star Wars : The Force Awakens

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
Am I the only one who thought this was almost a complete rip off of the first star wars with a diff set of characters? Obi Wan = solo, Rey = Luke, ren=vader etc. The whole plot was almost the exact same. Completely underwhelmed

Saw it today and I agree..I felt like I've seen this movie done 5 times already. .nothing new..Darth Vader sounds like shit .I was beginning to yawn 3/4 of the way in..too bad Han died he brought the movie alive.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
With our multiple viewings of this movie already it is on the verge of beating "Avatar" in the domestic box office record in North America. However, the obstacle of dethroning James Cameron's film is still a big hurdle for the world wide box office record.

Tuesday night will be my 10th screening of this movie. It'll be my 4th viewing in laser IMAX at Scotiabank. For an adult, I'm still a little obsessive about Star Wars. Now everyone can truly understand my old Tribe screen name. :D

I'm still crossing my fingers that after all the box office numbers are determined Scotiabank Theatre will give us an IMAX2D in 70mm film version to watch. Apparently, they still have that film projector in storage because that it what they used to show us "Interstellar" last year in 70mm IMAX.

Here's the Tiny List of Theaters Showing The Force Awakens in the Best Possible Formats

Avatar was something new..stars wars was already out there people knew what to expect. .I bet the next Avatar will beat star wars...and for the 70mm imax you should read up about how that was only used in 1 sequence. .the rest of the movie was shot in digital imax format

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Saw it today and I agree..I felt like I've seen this movie done 5 times already. .nothing new..Darth Vader sounds like shit .I was beginning to yawn 3/4 of the way in..too bad Han died he brought the movie alive.
solo had to die to close the solo/obi wan loop.
also, ford didnt want to do it but i bet he gets another kick at the indiana jones can for doing it
my boss and i were talking on the way home and he said it felt more like it was the first 3 star wars all wrapped up into one movie, as we talked i completely agreed. we both felt it was the same as avengers age of ultron. a vehicle to start new franchises and sell merch

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
don't be messin with my Avatar, that TRUE IMAX 3D shit was crazy!!, how many people went to watch star wars on shrooms compared to Avatar? lol

This star wars felt like it was rushed out,,I think they said the next one will be out later this year??? gotta keep the $$$$ flowing

silver1

TRIBE Member
My Dances with Smurf's quote was only meant to point out that the story was far from something new.

But I agree, cinematically it was spectacular.

As for the next Star Wars movie, there's going to be a separate from "numbered" films coming out this year about the mission to steal the death star plans prior to episode IV. They're going to be doing a bunch of these "side" films moving forward, including a recently announced Boba Fett Film.

Episode VIII is slated for summer 2017 I believe.

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
This movie was great - sometimes all you want is to chill for a few hours and enjoy a fun movie that looks and sounds amazing. I agree 100% that they just repurposed plot lines from the first three films (in many cases almost identically -- building a second, more evil Death Star that gets blown up in two minutes was ridiculous), but I think that was done to really connect the old films to the new generation. Fans of the old films were sure to enjoy the nostalgia and newcomers to the series get a sense of what they missed but with a new generation twist. There are loads of ways to cut apart and criticize the film, but to continue the Star Wars legacy is a huge undertaking so kudos to JJ Abrams for doing a great job regardless of a few plot holes or weird choices.

My biggest beef - I wish they gave Chewy a wife and that he had a kid. Why the hell hasn't this happened? No idea why Chewy is portrayed as an asexual being - he's the best character in the series. I'm sure he's like the Wilt Chamberlain of wookies back home...He should have a Chewy Jr. Huge missed opportunity there.

I hope for the next episode we will start to see new storylines and more new characters. You can only go to the well so many times. I am betting the next installment is going to feature more creative storytelling and amazing twists and turns.

And Silver 1 is right - they are already working on a film called Rogue 1 about this plot to steal the Death Star plans. Sort of like Star Wars meets Mission Impossible. Sounds awesome. Loads more one-off films from this "world" to come...can't wait.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
My Dances with Smurf's quote was only meant to point out that the story was far from something new.

But I agree, cinematically it was spectacular.

What I meant to say is Star Wars was already a very famous household name brand,( it was an easy sell, but still way over hyped ) everything you turned on was advertising star wars . As where Avatar was a new seed, they had to wait for the technology to be invented before they could even think about making the movie. ( that's what I meant as in new ..the technology) 3D went through the roof after Avatar came out.

Star wars will be opening up in China this weekend, but they say China doesn't really know that much about Star Wars, so they're going nuts with the advertising over there. Maybe this S W's will grow on me as they get further away from the old story lines, and create something completely new, instead of riding the coattails of the old stories and trying to rewrite them.

The thing I enjoyed the most was seeing the old faces and robots, brought back a lot of cool memories. I felt more comfortable when the old faces came into play. I think the hottie who is playing Rey will do well, looks like shes right into playing her roll as where I felt the other actors were over doing it.

silver1

TRIBE Member
My biggest beef - I wish they gave Chewy a wife and that he had a kid. Why the hell hasn't this happened? No idea why Chewy is portrayed as an asexual being - he's the best character in the series. I'm sure he's like the Wilt Chamberlain of wookies back home...He should have a Chewy Jr. Huge missed opportunity there.

Chewy DOES have a family! The introduction of them didn't turn out all that great ..... :p

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Star Wars has broken the North American box office record (held by Avatar) in 20 days. insane!

I imagine it's still got another month in theatres. Probably the only movie in the foreseeable future that has a chance of surpassing it will be another Star Wars film.

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Chewy DOES have a family! The introduction of them didn't turn out all that great ..... :p

OK I am not watching that! Let's pretend it didn't happen and maybe they'll give Chewy a son who is a badass and can fight battles with Rey and Finn.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
I liked it for the most part.
I'm totally fine that it's a retread of earlier episodes. It feels like a reset and I'm okay with that after the debacle of the prequels.

The effects felt more refined and less like the prequel video game feel. Rey was a stand-out character and I look forward to seeing how they develop her, Finn and Kylo Ren (enjoyed his immaturity).

The big highlight was taking my eldest nephew (six) and watching him go through the motions. The next one should be better and darker.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
and for the 70mm imax you should read up about how that was only used in 1 sequence. .the rest of the movie was shot in digital imax format

"And even though Abrams advocates laser, he didn’t shoot the film digitally or in 3D. He shot it on film and in 2D. So maybe you want to see the movie in that format. However, only 15 theaters in North American and 2 internationally are showing the film in 70mm film, 2D IMAX."

Here's the Tiny List of Theaters Showing The Force Awakens in the Best Possible Formats

You quoted me and I had this same link posted above. I assume you did not read it. Nothing was shot digitally. Abrams used film, old school celluloid.

On to other things...

[YOUTUBE]m4hMq6rFpk0[/YOUTUBE]

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
It's the theatres who aren't capable of showing the full 70mm imax, they can only show the movie in digital imax..I guess that's where I got mixed up.

J.J. Abrams Shot Part of

At theaters where Star Wars: The Force Awakens is screening in 15/70 IMAX 2D, the average ticket cost was $15. The average ticket cost to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in the digital “IMAX 3D Experience” was $20. Keep in mind, that The Force Awakens was not shot in 3D, but a portion of it was shot in 70mm. Theaters are actually charging you more money to see a movie in wrong format.

J.J. Abrams Shot Part of ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ in IMAX, So Why Aren’t Theaters Showing It That Way?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Just saw it again on IMAX.

I've got it figured out.

Rey is Luke and Leia's daughter. That would explain why she has the force so powerfully naturally. It would also explain why Leia was warm to her but Han was like I don't know you.

It explains why Luke was hiding. He banged his sister and has a kid with her. Plus he was growing his hair out.

You knew there was sexual tension between Rey and Ren because it runs in the family. The earth splitting apart between them was metaphoric. THEY CAN'T BE TOGETHER.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
I think Boss Hog's theory is the correct one, this is why Carrie Fisher ended up on drugs in real life. She knew the star wars saga would continue, and the truth about her and Luke will now come out. I bet Luke won't be found in the same spot, he's fucking off to another planet, he owes a shit load of $$$ in child support. The bill was in that lightsaber.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
i think boss hog's theory is the correct one, this is why carrie fisher ended up on drugs in real life. She knew the star wars saga would continue, and the truth about her and luke will now come out. I bet luke won't be found in the same spot, he's fucking off to another planet, he owes a shit load of $$$ in child support. The bill was in that lightsaber.

This is going to catch on.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
Maybe Luke and Leia did it on Planet Vegas, if that's the case, the truth could be safe. If Luke isn't on the same planet in the next movie, they should search for him on Planet Mexico, under the name LUberto Skyriguez.