• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Star Wars : The Force Awakens

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Am I the only one who thought this was almost a complete rip off of the first star wars with a diff set of characters? Obi Wan = solo, Rey = Luke, ren=vader etc. The whole plot was almost the exact same. Completely underwhelmed

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Am I the only one who thought this was almost a complete rip off of the first star wars with a diff set of characters? Obi Wan = solo, Rey = Luke, ren=vader etc. The whole plot was almost the exact same. Completely underwhelmed

I haven't seen it yet (next Monday!) but if it gets the series back on track, then it's okay with me. I'm more pumped for the next one (Rian Johnson directing).

silver1

TRIBE Member

For a person who's comments before the film came out were:

am i the only one who could give a rats ass about this shit?
the first 3 movies were great and groundbreaking....the next 3 were complete garbage
the next 3 are going to be the same

I'm

a) surprised you even bothered going to see it if you could give a rat's ass about it and thought it would be garbage to begin with
and
b) not surprised that you went in looking to find fault with it.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
How about do a good job the first time? The did a horrible job of explaining anything that went on after return. So the new bad guys could wipe out the old bad guys but not the resistance??? Pfft

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
For a person who's comments before the film came out were:

I'm

a) surprised you even bothered going to see it if you could give a rat's ass about it and thought it would be garbage to begin with
and
b) not surprised that you went in looking to find fault with it.
had free upgraded tickets and my gf and her friend are huge fans is why I went. I was hoping to be blown away as I loved the first 3 movies when I was a kid. It wasn't hard to find fault with such a lazy ass script as my gf and her friend said the exact same things as I did. I'm thinking a lot of ppl went in who wouldn't find any fault since they were so starved for some "new" material

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member

it's almost like the similarities were completely what the film makers intended to use to bridge the original trilogy to the new trilogy, and yet twist things around ever so slightly.

How about do a good job the first time? The did a horrible job of explaining anything that went on after return. So the new bad guys could wipe out the old bad guys but not the resistance??? Pfft

why do you think the First Order wiped out the Empire?

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Alvin and the chipmunks opened this weekend too!

463.jpg

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Re: Rey being Luke's kid: this is not the same situation as obi-wan hiding luke and leia as infants. at that time, the twins had an evil father (who would take the children if he knew of their existence) and no mother, so obi-wan gave leia to the royal family of alderaan and he gave luke to his uncle owen. i cannot believe that luke skywalker, a jedi, would think the best move would be to abandon his own daughter and leave her with no guardian and no cash, living alone on hostile world, and never check up on her. that would make luke the worst father in the history of star wars, and that's saying a lot
It seems clear in the flashback that Rey witnessed the Jedi massacre that Kylo Ren led and that's what prompted Luke to hightail it self-imposed exile. Based on that, perhaps Luke oppressed her memories of the slaughter, her force powers and maybe even that she's his daughter. It would make sense if he sees himself as a target of violence that he want his daughter banished far, far, away.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
it's almost like the similarities were completely what the film makers intended to use to bridge the original trilogy to the new trilogy, and yet twist things around ever so slightly.

why do you think the First Order wiped out the Empire?
1. bullshit. they made almost the exact same movie. if by bridging you mean completely remaking episode 4 with some very minor changes then you were willing to buy anything they were selling(trust me, they are fucking selling every aspect of this fucking movie)

2. THEY NEVER EXPLAINED ANYTHING....this was the fucking movie to expalin how the first order defeated/absorbed/what have you the old bad dudes ruled by the emperor

it was a fucking hack job,

i could do a complete line by line parralell of how IT IS ALMOST THE EXACT SAME MOVIE ...the point is you will find every excuse to love this new set of commercials and product placements...errr...movies so you dont feel your life isnt barren like the world we find rey in :)

i never said it wasnt fun, it just is not a new movie, it is not very well written and if i was lucas i would sue em for plagerism

Lojack

TRIBE Member
JJA prefers remixes, that's obvious to me now.

On the Ebert scale I'd give it two thumbs up, it accomplished what it wanted to accomplish. On my scale, perhaps 6.5/10, for many of the reasons already cited.

silver1

TRIBE Member
2. THEY NEVER EXPLAINED ANYTHING....this was the fucking movie to expalin how the first order defeated/absorbed/what have you the old bad dudes ruled by the emperor

Actually it wasn't the movie to explain everything. It's the first of a trilogy. This was the intro/setup movie to get everyone back into the universe and what's going on right now.

Episode IV did nothing to give us the back story of who the Empire were, how they got into power etc. They just plopped us right into the middle of things. And we accepted and enjoyed it for what it was, not picked at what it wasn't.

dabeats

TRIBE Member
For me when I watched it I channeled my inner child when my father took me to see Empire when I was five years old. I got chills I laughed and had a little tear in a couple of scenes. I loved it and went and saw it a second time and still got chills.

silver1

TRIBE Member
For me when I watched it I channeled my inner child when my father took me to see Empire when I was five years old. I got chills I laughed and had a little tear in a couple of scenes. I loved it and went and saw it a second time and still got chills.

Beautifully put.

I was fortunate enough to had seen Ep 4, 5, 6 in the theatres when I was a kid, and now I've gotten to take my own kids to start a whole new and different chapter of Star Wars in my life.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
I've gone twice already and plan to see it in IMAX after the holidays for sure, I loved every minute of it and felt like a kid again.

I think if they had less nods to the original trilogy no matter how well the movie was put together, people would have not enjoyed/welcomed the first of this series as much.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Saw it last night in IMAX 3D.

[SPOIL]I wasn't surprised but I didn't expect Han Solo to die, so it caught me off guard, if that makes sense. It also took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to use spoil tags. Was it "Spoiler"? "Hide"? In the end it's spoil! Sheesh....[/SPOIL]
I definitely loved it for what it was! It wasn't an epic of all epics in a sense, but it was a bit more down to earth, focusing a lot on the new characters. I really liked Fin's initial dishonesty and character flaws a lot. He wasn't afraid to high tail it, he pretended to be someone he wasn't, but in the end his false character proved to be true. I think he was my favourite. Rey was just awesome and my favourite scene of hers was when she was...
[spoil]in the torture chamber getting her mind read and then learning how to fight back and exposing Kylo's weaknesses.[/spoil]

I agree with bbj about the plot being too similar, but unlike him I forgive the producers for doing this. I almost expected it to be honest. Maybe the story was already written like this 30 years ago when George Lucas had it all planned out. It's kind of the same story telling in Back to the Future, the same story repeats itself in all 3 movies.

9/10 Worth seeing in IMAX 3D, but I believe it would also be great in 2D.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
It seems clear in the flashback that Rey witnessed the Jedi massacre that Kylo Ren led and that's what prompted Luke to hightail it self-imposed exile. Based on that, perhaps Luke oppressed her memories of the slaughter, her force powers and maybe even that she's his daughter. It would make sense if he sees himself as a target of violence that he want his daughter banished far, far, away.

For that theory to make sense, either (i) Luke never introduced his daughter Rey to his sister and best friend, (ii) Luke also wiped the memories of his sister and best friend so they all forgot about Rey, or (iii) Han and/or Leia knew that Rey was Luke's kid when they met her in the movie but they pretended not to know.

None of those options make sense.

djfear

TRIBE Member
No one mentioned the first time that Leia and Rey ended up meeting - at the end, where they just ended up seeing each other and hugging. It seemed like an interesting meeting worth noting. I don't know what to make of it regarding Rey's past though.

I found Fin's character to have developed the most depth in this movie. You see so many changes in him and I think it's really great.

There was one other thing that I loved... what was it... Oh! Yes, now I remember. I loved how Ren was "succumbing to the light side", which is an interesting and opposite take on Darth Vader. It's like, Anakin started off on the light side and was seduced by the dark, slowly getting darker and darker in episode 2 and 3. Kylo Ren on the other hand started off in the movie as someone who's on the dark side but was struggling with the light, kind of like The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, who gets disgusted by love and good deeds.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
For that theory to make sense, either (i) Luke never introduced his daughter Rey to his sister and best friend, (ii) Luke also wiped the memories of his sister and best friend so they all forgot about Rey, or (iii) Han and/or Leia knew that Rey was Luke's kid when they met her in the movie but they pretended not to know.
How long has it been since the massacre? Isn't it possible with that time elapsed that they wouldn't recognize her? Puberty is a hell of a drug. Either way, daughter or not, it's pretty clear she witnessed shit go down and has had memories suppressed to keep her safe. Personally, I hope she isn't Luke's daughter, it's just too on-the-nose.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
The movie was a lot of fun. A lot of loose ends but that is what sequels are for. It didn't suck, that was nice.

I was surprised by how predominantly the original cast was portrayed but it worked. Was Leia an active Jedi? Did Carrie Fisher have a stroke? Her voice was laboured.

Rey and Fin were great, nice to see some background on the Stormtroopers. Rey was an asskicker.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Chewbacca was comedy, and my wife says the same nurse from the original series appeared. I hope there is an outtake reel with Hamill acting the fool from his scene at the end.