• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - reviews/discussion with spoilers

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I hope he does a better job with Star Wars.

I'd liked the first one. And although I don't dislike this one. I found it very ho hum and extremely predictable.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
this movie was a fanboy's dream.

if you're in this thread, hopefully you have seen the movie, so we can discuss the fact that "john harrison" is revealed to be khan noonian singh part-way through. i think most fans suspected that benedict cumberbatch was khan, but it was still not 100% confirmed (assuming you stayed out of forums where jerk-asses were posting unwarned spoilers).

i loved this flick. the actors fit into their trek character roles amazingly. benedict cumberbatch is outstanding as khan. his run as sherlock has been the perfect training ground for playing emotionally-detached with superior intellect and disdain for those less intelligent.

kirk's "death scene", with the exact mirror-image dialogue of spock's death scene from WRATH OF KHAN, was pure movie brilliance.

but by far the best fanboy gift was seeing spock fight khan. for the last 21 years (ever since WRATH OF KHAN was released), trekkies have pondered the question: who would win a hand-to-hand fight between spock and khan?

on one hand, khan once said that he had 5 times kirk's strength, while vulcans were said to be 3 times stronger than humans. on the other hand, spock is no ordinary vulcan, he has the nerve-pinch, and if he enters bloodlust mode, he will pretty much kill everything in the room.

so when spock beams down to earth to chase after khan, everyone who has ever stayed up all night debating this 21 year-old question finally had their prayers answered. this was j.j. abrams' gift to the geek masses, and it was glorious.

now if only they could figure out a way for spock to fight data. :p

hardcore sci-fi fans may criticize the movie for being more action and fun than cerebral, but there are some solid themes explored about the nature of family and loyalty, militarization vs exploration, and the fine line between military advancement and terrorism. it's hard to ignore the "we made the terrorists" message when you see aircraft (this time spacecraft) flying into buildings.

props to all those who braved the crowd on opening night. :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
This movie had some of the dumbest most obvious retarded plot holes.

HEY ASSHOLE WRITERS, WHY BOTHER GOING ON A GREEN SCREEN FOOT CHASE TO GET KHAN SO YOU CAN GET HIS UBER BLOOD WHEN YOU'VE GOT 70 MORE OF THE FUCKERS FROZEN ON ICE!!!!!!

not only that, but why bother trying to compete with the original wrath of khan with this retarded version of it?

i'm not having too much hope for the new star wars movies.....

Krackajak

TRIBE Member
I loved it, great roll reversal between Kirk (Sacrifice) and Spock ("KHAAAAN") I like all the other references like Nurse Chapel, and section 31, but I thought it was a bit weak that young Spock had to consult with Old Spock about what he should do. I realize it is just to further connect the old with the new but I am sure they could have made a better excuse or cameo... just my opinion. Also was it just me but Scotty/Peg looked reasonably well for gettin the piss beaten out of him by Khan.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
t
kirk's "death scene", with the exact mirror-image dialogue of spock's death scene from WRATH OF KHAN, was pure movie brilliance.
No, it was stupid, dumb, and extremely unnecessary.

See, the wrath of khan had all that build up to that point was because kirk and spock were friends for goddamn decades! It was kirks moment where he finally realized he could no longer cheat his death and have to deal with mortality.

None of that shit was in this movie. It was so fucking ham fisted, stupid, and obvious service to "Trek nerds". It wasn't brilliance at all. It was fucking LAZY.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
This movie had some of the dumbest most obvious retarded plot holes.

HEY ASSHOLE WRITERS, WHY BOTHER GOING ON A GREEN SCREEN FOOT CHASE TO GET KHAN SO YOU CAN GET HIS UBER BLOOD WHEN YOU'VE GOT 70 MORE OF THE FUCKERS FROZEN ON ICE!!!!!!
who's to say the blood of the others would have worked? mccoy didn't know whether the others were the same type of super soldier or even super soldiers at all. plus, they said the frozen crew members had to be thawed out using a very specific process, which mccoy likely didn't know. not to mention the fact that they needed the cure immediately, as kirk could not stay "dead" for long.

[quoote]not only that, but why bother trying to compete with the original wrath of khan with this retarded version of it?[/quote]

i think the original WRATH OF KHAN is overrated. other than spock's death scene, which may be the greatest death scene of any movie, i never loved it.

they never even had a scene of khan fighting spock, which everyone wanted to see after the "space seed" episode. that flaw has now been corrected. :)

i'm not having too much hope for the new star wars movies.....
new star wars is being written by michael arndt and will have george lucas, kathleen kennedy and lawrence kasdan as story consultants. j.j. abrams is only directing.

No, it was stupid, dumb, and extremely unnecessary.

See, the wrath of khan had all that build up to that point was because kirk and spock were friends for goddamn decades! It was kirks moment where he finally realized he could no longer cheat his death and have to deal with mortality.
it was a brilliant idea and scene. it was kirk realizing that he is not invincible and that he, like khan, will do anything to save his crew. although they have not been friends long, kirk's death makes spock feels true loss for the first time since his planet exploded. i don't think the scene was cheapened because they had been friends for a few years instead of decades.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
i didn't really have a problem with the movie up until that little "Twist"

i literally groaned at it.... and it just went downhill. Shame, 90% of the movie was good, the other 10% was balls :|
I wouldn't call any of it brilliant. Far from it.

also uhwhora needed to shut the fuck up. Whenever there was some good dialogue between kirk and spock. Dumb bitch opened up and vomit came out.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I haven't seen it (so why am I here? ). lol. I did read a review from the Uk a week ago, and the idiot posted that Cumberbatch was Khan..Asshole. I've also skipped all the long posts here so I don't get anymore info that I don't want to know.

My best buddy saw it Wednesday night with friends - I was invited, but being 3D (unless 48fps) disabled, I couldn't go :(. I was all yes! yes! yes! But then: "Hun, it's the 3D Imax version. You're ok with that right? You saw The Hobbit.".. Me: "F***!"

Anyway, my buddy (former roomie for 12 years) and I are diehard fans. He loved it. Even his friends who mock us (and they got to see this..erg), loved it. So, I'm so very excited. I know old star trek fans have difficulty with the reboot, but they need to get past the series and appreciate the ideology, the concept, the great CGI and new possibilities (now that the canon has been thrown away).

I refused to watch STNG when it first came out, until my buddy sat me down and told me I had to watch it. It's now my favourite of the tv series. JJ Abrams has lifted the bar for the movies.

Star trek may not be everyone's favourite. It's shlocky, cheesy and downright silly at times. It doesn't raise questions and it's not hard-core sci-fi, but I will love it anyway.

alison87

TRIBE Member
KodiaK, perhaps you should've watched it in German. I could tell that scene was hammy as hell (like, as if they're gonna kill off Kirk), but at least i didn't have to suffer through its predictability because i was mostly concentrating on just following the dialog. But really, if you can buy into a Bond-villain-like plot device where a rogue Admiral puts his rogue-rogue top scientist's men into torpedoes just out of sadistic irony, who really cares about an over-the-top death scene, or a science-fiction "train battle", or Uhura getting in on the familiar banter? This wasn't Moon or Solaris or something.

But aside from the Hollywood stuff, even just at Star Trek fan, i don't mind that they're doing it differently. I've only seen a few of the Trek movies (and my favorite is the much-maligned "can you take us to the nuclear wessels?") because i've always seen them as out-of-continuity fan-service. The only place i know "Khaaan" from is work (software dev), so pretty much all the fan-service in this movie went over my head, and perhaps that's why i enjoyed it more. Remakes are always hard to swallow when you really love the original. But honestly, on it's own, i liked this one way better than the previous reboot, or the Jean-Luc dune-buggy movie.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alison87

TRIBE Member
So you're saying that anyone who hasn't seen every single Star Trek movie isn't allowed to have on opinion on this one? For real!?

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I can't believe no one said the best part of the movie. TRIBBLES!

The stupid warmongering admiral should have just launched some Tribbles at Kronos.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
So you're saying that anyone who hasn't seen every single Star Trek movie isn't allowed to have on opinion on this one? For real!?
no i'm saying that you missed exactly what i was talking about because of the fact you never saw st2.

J e l o

TRIBE Member
Liked it a lot. Nearly as great as the reboot. I hardly agree with my bro from anudder mo KMW but I do with this one.
It looked awesome, including the 3D, the costuming was excellent, Scotty left the engine room and rocked it, Khan was so great I need more, Spock Vs.Khan (FINALLY!) ...just yes, yes and yes.
It ain't perfect but it's right on.
8/10 from me.

I dug it - Abrams did a great job of keeping the story and the action moving, and I thought the plot twist was decent if a bit foreshadowed here and there with the beginning. Kirk's comeuppance was a nice bit as well, watching him go from thinking of himself as a rock star that can't do any wrong to seeing him have that moment on the bridge where he apologizes to the crew for not being able to negotiate their safety was a pretty decent hero's journey arc that I hope pays off better in the next installment.

I was a bit disappointed that they put Khan away in storage, saving him for a second go around when the franchise starts to show some age, but then again he was always a great villain in the original series, a villain that set the bar for the rest of the series, if not one of the better villains in sci fi movie history.

The movie was very go, go, go - way faster paced than any of the other Star Trek films, but a nice follow up to the 2009 reboot.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I liked it but I found the story movement was a little too ADHDish. Some of things that happen in this Star Trek universe just annoys me. As a trek nerd who loves the science behind a Gene Roddenberry trek universe, I hate how things just happen in the Abraham's universe. Like all warp trips are like 2 minutes. Everything is so rushed. Teleporting directly from earth to Kronos? The battle between Enterprise and that other ship near earth and no other ships come to help?

New Klingons look interesting through. Not sure why the need to reboot their look.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Saw it earlier tonight at the Colossus theatre in Woodbridge. Liked it more than the first one and thought the emotional intensity of this sequel was stronger. I found myself choked up with some of the dialogue and got teary-eyed in some of the scenes near the end. Some of it definitely is because one of the writers on the team used to write several scripts for the TV series "Lost" Damon Lindelof.

Damon Lindelof - IMDb

A grown man such as myself, I thought the "Lost" show was brilliant and greatest "tearjerking TV series" in history. In the 6 seasons that this shown ran there were several references to both Star Trek and Star Wars on the show.

BTW, it's been 31 years and not 21 years ago since "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan".

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - IMDb

After seeing J.J. Abrams take the helm for these 2 Star Trek movies, I believe the new "Star Wars" movies are in great hands. I totally expect Episode 7 of SW to be way better than Lucas` prequel trilogy.

J.J. Abrams is a new hope for the Star Wars franchise. ;)

stryker

TRIBE Member
Goddamn I loved this movie!!

KMWis bang on, it was a fan boy's wet dream. When Harrison was revealed to be Khan The cinema started freaking out. The ship to ship sequence was awesome!

Peter Weller was another wicked casting choice. Bones was hilarious, Scotty was great, Uhura and Spock fighting was perfect.

I F'iNg loved Klingon bird of prey design.

I can't type fast enough with the iPad. I'll post more once I see it again on Tuesday.

He named the first planet Nibiru....LOL

Stew :D:D:D