1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Standalone Surround Sound Decoder

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by D-Cypher, Aug 24, 2003.

1. D-Cypher

D-Cypher TRIBE Member

Hey! I have this surround reciever, but it lacks any type of digital inputs...only analog RCA jacks for surround. So in order to go surround from my DVD to my reciever, I'll need to decode the digital surround signal into 5 or 6 discreet signals. I've never seen anything like this...do they exist? Any suggestions??

2. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Hoenstly, you are just better off buying a new amplifier that has a built in digital input. It will be much cheaper in the long run, and you will have a newer/better amplifier in the process.

Most standalone audio (and video) signal decoders/convertors are usually designed for high end installations, and therefore are extremely expensive (in the thousands of dollar range).

What is the model of your amplifier and I'll try and suggest something that would be a suitable replacement, depending on your budget.

Cheers ... Ian :)

3. K_la

K_la TRIBE Member

I have the same thing, I love my Lexicon processor. I use an Audio Lab tuner and a Luxman amp. The sound is so sweet, but all those monster cables cost a fortune!

4. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

i had this same problem ... my receiver was made at just about the same time that dvds were going into retail. so they had 5.1 in/out but no decoder.

when it came time to buy a dvd player, it was apparant i was almost screwed.

except i bought a pretty nice sony DVP NS-400D ... it was an older model so the store dropped the price to $300 (it was originally sold for about $600).

there aren't many dvd players with decoders built in, as it was a quick transition period from having the decoders built into the dvd players to having them in the receivers (which ultimately makes the most sense).

i asked around a bit for an external decoder and those seemed extremely rare. you may have some luck online (thru ebay) but not at any regular stereo store.

g'luck.

ps. my new receiver now has a built in decoder ... so i may be willing to part with my sony dvd player. if you're interested, pm me an offer and i may consider it.

5. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

actually it appears as though there are a few decoders available (not sure how to purchase them) but they are in the range of $300US.

not exactly cheap considering that they don't do a whole hell of a lot.

6. D-Cypher

D-Cypher TRIBE Member

Sony STR-DE345 is the reciever...a few years old, but works fine. I've seen that sony, panasonic, etc. USED to make these products, but have all discontinued them years ago.

7. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Well labRat says that you can get these convertors (if you can find them) for about $300 US or about $450 CDN.

But if you spend that $450 on a new receiver with a digital input, you can even sell your old receiver and get at least $200 back. It currently sells for about $350 new.

If you like your current unit, then you can get the STR-DE595 for $300 CDN, or the STR-DE695 for $400 CDN.

They are both similar models, except the STR-DE695 has six channels of output instead of five (for the rear centre if you want such a setup for say DTS-ES discs). It also has a bunch of extra little features that make the unit a little more compatible for future uses.

I would suggest getting the STR-DE695 however, assuming you have the cash to spend on it.

Anyways, that is my thoughts on what you should get.

8. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

he still needs to buy a dvd player ... so he'll be out a few hundred regardless.

9. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Where did he say he needed a DVD player? He didn't sepcify that he had one, but he didn't mention that he didn't have one either.

But either way, the DVD player purchase is independet of the amplifier purchase, since he'd have to buy a DVD player regardless of what he gets for the amplifier.

10. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

but if he already HAS an amp, and just needs the decoder or dvd avec decoder then the decision is not independent of dvd player.

11. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

But he still hasn't mentioned if he has the DVD player yet. If he doesn't, then I see your point. But if he does already have a DVD player (without built in decoders), then I suggest going the route of buying a new amp.

12. D-Cypher

D-Cypher TRIBE Member

yep...well i don't have a DVD player yet, so i guess I'll look to pick one up that decodes internally to analogue...

THANKS FOR THE TIPS!~!