• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Stand up Paddle Boarding aka SUP

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
This summer my wife and I tried out the new sport of stand up paddleboarding. We first rented in June when we were bored and killing time one day. Next thing you know we were renting once a week through the entire summer. It is a highly addictive sport.

Not only is it a fun sport but its one of the best full body workouts I have ever had. I am 34 and have been a gym person since I was 18. Nothing comes close to the work out this paddle board dishes out and the best part is, you never feel like its a workout. It really focuses on the core.

After much discussion we decided we loved the sport enough to purchase a few boards.

If you are not sure what the sport is, here is a video link

The Golden Rules of Stand Up Paddling - YouTube

Now that we own two boards, I will likely be out every weekend until the lakes freeze. If anyone is up for trying it, let me know and I would be happy to show you and let you try the boards if schedules and timing allows.

Anyone else tried it?

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Yeah I really want to try this. Totally out of shape though right now. I could see myself really getting into it though.

I might be interested in meeting up with you. Also haven't seen you guys in ages.

Liability

TRIBE Member
Anyone else tried it?
I went out this summer and had the same experience you did.

Tried it out at a friend's cottage just for a laugh on day. 1.5 hours later I was returning and doing it every day left at the cottage. Surprisingly stable and relatively easy to pick up. Speed is good and it is a grea tway to spend time outdoors.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Yeah I really want to try this. Totally out of shape though right now. I could see myself really getting into it though.

I might be interested in meeting up with you. Also haven't seen you guys in ages.
No worries man you do not need to be in shape to get started. If you can walk, you can stand up paddle board. It's that easy.

We're away the next two weekends but will be around all of September to go out. Do not worry about going out that late in the season, you rarely get wet unless you want to jump in. My last paddle I was in jeans and a t-shirt haha.

Ill message ya in September and we can make a plan. Great excuse to reconnect man!!

Liability, I hear ya. Once you realize its not that difficult, it can be so much fun. Its like walking on water haha.
Last week I was out on lake ontario and we came across 3-4 foot swells and it was so much fun riding the wave.

Liability

TRIBE Member
Liability, I hear ya. Once you realize its not that difficult, it can be so much fun. Its like walking on water haha.
Last week I was out on lake ontario and we came across 3-4 foot swells and it was so much fun riding the wave.
Waves sound like fun.

The only thing I have to work on now is the one sided paddle; I think it is called a 'J stroke'. It gets a little annoying constantly switching from side to side.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I've been interested in this since we went to Hawaii in 07, Finally tried it for the first time this summer and while i did fall in the water a bit I fully enjoyed it and will be taking it up next summer.

We're right by the lake and my plan is to get my own board and go out as often as i can.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Waves sound like fun.

The only thing I have to work on now is the one sided paddle; I think it is called a 'J stroke'. It gets a little annoying constantly switching from side to side.

Waves are indeed fun even the small ones. All the sudden you get this burst of speed and it sorta throws you off the first time.

I picked up a displacement hull board which tracks much straighter than the surf style boards. I am slowly but surely picking up the J stroke. Its a little more challenging than in a canoe because the board can get wobbly if you drop your paddle in the water at the wrong angel. its almost acts as an emergency brake if done wrong haha.

Kyfe, I would love to try this in Hawaii and actually try to get up on a real wave. I now need to find a place to store mine haha. My board is 12'6 long.

My board Bic WING (red and white in the middle and wifes is the blue BIC WING one beside it)

You can see the difference between my displacement hull which is made for fitness paddling and touring and recreational racing vs the more flat boards on the outside which are designed for riding waves.

If all goes well, I will be entering my first rest at the beginning of next summer. I just found an instructor to help me get there!!

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
No worries man you do not need to be in shape to get started. If you can walk, you can stand up paddle board. It's that easy.

We're away the next two weekends but will be around all of September to go out. Do not worry about going out that late in the season, you rarely get wet unless you want to jump in. My last paddle I was in jeans and a t-shirt haha.

Ill message ya in September and we can make a plan. Great excuse to reconnect man!!

Mid sept would be perfect. I'm down!

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
We're right by the lake and my plan is to get my own board and go out as often as i can.
mine too, I want to take the little guy when he is old enough. We are down at the beach as it is pretty much all weekend. Would be a nice activity.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I came across that site Hawkeye back in June when we decided to try the sport out. Looked like a good guy to hook up with.

We ended up starting with Stand Up Paddleboard SUP Toronto, Ontario Lessons

Paul runs paddleboard addict out of his really nice looking Scarborough Bluffs float home down in the marina. Its really neat because you can SUP over to a few beaches from his location and have lunch. Not to mention starting in the flat water marina for beginners is key before heading out to the white caps of the lake at times.

We also thought about contacting Paddle board Toronto, SUP surfing, Yoga, bootcamps, and lots of fun on paddle boards, even night paddling! as they were the first group that we saw who ran night paddles with the LED lights attached to the board.

Man I need to buy more boards and start a business maybe. haha

coleridge

TRIBE Member
My girlfriend took the summer off while she's between jobs and has taken up SUP avidly. She goes everyday, sometimes up to 3 times, with the SUP Girls. Paddle board Toronto, SUP surfing, Yoga, bootcamps, and lots of fun on paddle boards, even night paddling!

She wakes up at 5:15 some days to do the sunrise paddle. She has NEVER in her life chosen to get up early when she doesn't have to. That's how much she's fallen in love with the sport. She does the night time paddle with the lights all the time as well. I've now fallen for the sport too, unfortunately it's so late in the summer.

My girlfriend is really good friends with the SUP crew; she actually first met them at their women's surf camp they run in Ecuador. I know them personally now as well. Janna, the owner of the business, is top notch and truly cares about teaching people properly.

Well worth trying out!

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I love hearing about others trying out this sport and loving it as much as my wife and I. We really cant get enough. We have now had our boards for two days and been out twice haha.

I am going to train my ass off and work with my instructor and try and get into the Ontario Sup Series next year and compete in a few races.

ONTARIO SUP SERIES | Ontario's Premier SUP Race Tour

Coleridge, SUP gurls is the only group we have not been out with yet but would love to try their night paddle.

Do you know how they are mounting the lights to their boards? Is it just bungee?