• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Stacey Pullen, Aril Brikha - BlackMarket@Wallace

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
What a delightful evening. After all my friends decided they were going to Sonic (retards) I hopped in a cab and headed West to Landsdowne. The lovely door peeps were very pleasant, even apologizing for having to check my purse - Please do my dear, please do.

A few people on their own, quite a few familiar faces. Whoever opened did a great job, a bit downtempo, groovy, very smooth, i thought.

Aril came on... around 1:30? 2? ish? His board machine thing kept fucking up, but he was great.

I spent the entire night wishing I had more energy to enjoy it all. fuck.

Aril was definitely workin it. Some groovetastic rhythms that made us all wanna say WEEEEEE!

Lost track of the time, so I'm not sure when Stacey came on, but he was divine. Detroit Soul kiddies - HE GOTS THE MAD SKILLZ.

He worked it like a true pro. He was such a sweetheart, kind and into it. Again, my legs were not happy and my brain was FRIIIED, but I managed to keep on keepin on til about 5 at which point I went up to the front, danced one last little jig for Stacey, shook and kissed his hand (gotta show proper respect -- Mr. Pullen is dreamy) and hightailed it back to my hood.

zzzzz
I can't believe I have to work tomorrow.
Day off? anyone? anyone? arrrgh. coffee.

THANKS TO BLACKMARKET!!! Keep bringing in the serious talent. We are all better people for it. WEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee!!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
I thought Stacey Pullen was pretty boring - a little progressive and commercial sounding he bored me i did not want to dance.

Aril was amazing he always impresses me ! he played some new material and of course some old stuff along with his hit track - could never get bored of art of avengence and to see him with fuk with it live is awesome!!

I loved the space - but i wish they wold fuk off with the dry ice, my throat is still soar from it..

Met some tribers there, cant think of yer names but nice meeting you on the dance floor ! i think it was atm or amt or something and maria? uhh i dunno i was pretty drunkard i remeber falling off the wall...
I remeber your name jeff payne ;) i remeber who i got you mixed up with jeff haynes haha speaking off jeffs, jeff milligan was there trolling in full force, we can expect to his ugly mug trolling around the city for the next few months.. there goes the scene ;)

So yeah it was a good night over all - i hear they will all be playing at the hooch on monday night again !!

Winick

TRIBE Member
Hey check it out!! Kick is featuring an Encore presentation at the Hooch tomorrow night!!!! Aril Brikha Live, Kevin Reynolds Live, Derrick Ramirez and Arthur Oskan Live!!! More and more techno for you from the good people at Kick Magazine!

T

TRIBE Member
amazing amazing amazing!

That was exactly what i needed.. Thank you Blackmarket!

I love that space, and the soundsystem is so crisp.

Could not have asked for anything better.

cheers!
-Rick

vinder

TRIBE Member
wallace studios is my new favourite place, wow! i loved that it was all white (it's a studio, duh), it just gave it this energy i can't explain it. really great music, really great people. there was this one girl there who had short red hair who was dancing totally reminded me of how girls at raves used to dance, totally brought me back and put a huge grin on my face.

the tunes were stellar, some driving stuff that had me rocking out! big basslines, but really bouncy and rolling percussion, too good. stacey pullen never fails to disappoint, it's EXACTLY the way it!

way to go blackmarket for another stellar event, bo!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JESuX

TRIBE Member
vinder said:
wallace studios is my new favourite place, wow! i loved that it was all white (it's a studio, duh), it just gave it this energy i can't explain it. really great music, really great people. there was this one girl there who had short red hair who was dancing totally reminded me of how girls at raves used to dance, totally brought me back and put a huge grin on my face.

the tunes were stellar, some driving stuff that had me rocking out! big basslines, but really bouncy and rolling percussion, too good. stacey pullen never fails to disappoint, it's EXACTLY the way it!

way to go blackmarket for another stellar event, bo!

30 screaming vinders agree!!!

137758919_e34ad87d0a.jpg

(more pics and a proper review to come! :))

rentboy

TRIBE Member
jaysus. That venue is amazing!

The low key entrance section gave me chills... it was a beautiful throwback to old skool times.

This event was pretty much flawless... incredibly friendly staff, abundance of space, Brikha and Pullen throwing down, upbeat crowd, tons of mates, plentiful sauce...

you get the idea. Thanks to Blackmarket for a great event :)

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
staff was kick ass., venue ditto, music, alright, it was so herky jerky, i thought pullen played techno, it seemd like low budget prog, some tunes had me dancing my ass off, some i was just confused by??

nice to see vinder, keith, jane, emieewee(sp), zee and everyone
i had a great time
i would give my left leg to see sasha or porter in thta space

OTIS

TRIBE Member
The venue was awesome, the sound system was solid and inoffensive, the place had an overall great feel to it, and the whole secretive process of coming leaving is always a plus "try not to talk until you get past the gate guys". I didn't pay enough attention to the tunes to warrant an opinion, but it all sounded great. I wish I had gotten there earlier. The place needs better ventilation though. Those who periodically moved between the main area and the front hall know what I'm talking about.

Good overall job guys.

Sanjay

TRIBE Member
nice sound!

to be honest... i was pretty wiped out and settled in for a night in front of the telly, when my girl called me up and said 'hey we're going to a warehouse party!'. given that hearing this from her (more or less the last person who'd go to a warehouse party!), pretty much made me wonder if i was in the bizzarro world, i figured hey i can't miss this...

so... a taxi ride later i'm in wallace studios... must say, security were polite and nice and it was great too see the blackmarket guys who as always were 100% cool and accomodating...

the room itself is impressive.... BIG... the soundsystem was killer, kudos on that... i FELT it... and it MOVED me... without damaging my hearing and as far as i'm concerned that made it for me... i'm there to HEAR music and dance... and care in sound makes it all worth it.

the barstaff were nice too... didn't love the bathroom situation... and there was a definite lack of anywhere to sit, chill or socialize outside of the main room... something that might help with future events... but otherwise well done.

i'm not sure who was playing at about 2am when i arrived, but they certainly were missing the ball on the room's vibe imho... hard and pumpin' but it felt like the folks needed a bit of funk to get movin' or something...

stacey pullen came on... and bingo... it was instant, crisp, snappy jackin' techno and there it was... everyone dancing, the whoops and hollers and that strobe... sweet.

shuffled out earlier than usual, just before 4... had to put my girls high heels to some good use heh heh...

a good venue... a good night!

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
vinder said:
stacey pullen never fails to disappoint, it's EXACTLY the way it!
hahahahahahaha
ahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahaha

erm -- it!!
doesn't matter what he's trying to say, all that matters is that he said it.
whatever it means.

vinder

TRIBE Member
me fail english? that's unpossible. i meant to say he never disappoints, and the music was exactly the way i like it!

ktown

TRIBE Member
blackmarket brought stacey pullen to toronto this weekend ?
i'm really out of the loop... e-mail rene, e-mail :O

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
vinder said:
me fail english? that's unpossible. i meant to say he never disappoints, and the music was exactly the way i like it!
i don't know why i think it's so funny... but
hahahahahahaha
ahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahaha
ahh... haha.
k, i'm over it.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
I had a great time at this event. :) The space is beautiful, and it's just like an enlarged version of the other photo studio on the other side of Bloor. I think everyone has reflected my own thoughts on the music -- Brikha played some familiar and lovely melodic techno, and Pullen totally jacked it when he came on. Nice to see the usual suspects (animals), it's great to party with friends.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
mrs peacock said:
Met some tribers there, cant think of yer names but nice meeting you on the dance floor ! i think it was atm or amt or something and maria? uhh i dunno i was pretty drunkard i remeber falling off the wall...

amt ... atm ... atp ... ~atp~ = Keith. :)

Daniel XIV

TRIBE Member
At the end I heard someone yell 'DETROIT WHAT?' several times. What does that mean? I think I've heard it before.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Man, I wanted to fucking stab that bartender.

Still do but I don't have any booze in me to fuel it.

If I ever get any lip from her again, I'm gonna knock her teeth out with a 1500 roll of drink tickets.

99Boobs

TRIBE Member
make love not war, that's hardly the spirit!

MoFo Man, I wanted to fucking stab that bartender.

If I ever get any lip from her again, I'm gonna knock her teeth out with a 1500 roll of drink tickets.

..please do elaborate sir.. we really do make an effort to enjoy the night and have a laff with all you chaps and ladies.. yes, we're English and have sarcastic senses of humour, but what could we possibly have done to make you react like this?

99Boobs

TRIBE Member
oh, and p.s.

not sure you've ever worked behind a bar, but we get a lip from people all night mate.. so if we do get a bit cocky sometimes, then maybe we've just had it from taking shit from others when we're just trying to be nice and do our jobs!!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
99Boobs said:
MoFo Man, I wanted to fucking stab that bartender.

..please do elaborate sir.. we really do make an effort to enjoy the night and have a laff with all you chaps and ladies.. yes, we're English and have sarcastic senses of humour, but what could we possibly have done to make you react like this?

Oh, I had a great time, don't get me wrong. I was the only one who had a great time in my crew cuz they thought the music was shittier than cancer.

It's VERY Canadian to get stabby and wanna kill others at group outings. We can go clubbing downtown sometime and I can show you the ropes.

But all kidding aside, we gave her a ticket and she didn't give us a beer. So I said "hi, my friend here who's a fucking retard gave you a ticket but you didn't give him a beer."

She said that she didn''t remember him because she sees a lot of people blah blah blah and then implied that I was lying about the ticket and she walked away with this dirty look like "don't try to pull this shit on me, you stupid chink."

I added the "stupid chink" part for emphasis.

Great party though! Welcome to Stabanada!