1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

SSD drives

Discussion in 'Technology' started by kyfe, Aug 30, 2010.

1. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

So I'm thinking of planting one of they puppies into my macbook pro. I would require the size to be at least 120GB

I've been doing research and I am getting differing opinions, I know I want an SSD2 drive as the read/write speeds seem to be much improved but as for brands I don't know enough about who is reliable.

thoughts comments suggestions

2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

was tlaking with one of the guys at work today, and the read speeds are amazing, but the write speeds, or when trying to do both at once, are quite bad according to him, he was doing some compiling and it apparently took and hour, which would have taken like 20 mins or something with a normal Disk HD.

havent heard much about improved performance, but i do know they still havent solved the fragmentation issue, and the fact that you cant defrag this is still bothersome to me.

[jai]

3. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

the owc mercury drives seem to have the fastest benchmarks.

as for reliability, i would say its a non issue as even the shittiest SSD is probably several hundred thousand times more reliable than the best made mechanical drive...

it shouldnt be a problem anyway, as you're all backed up, right?

4. Kalemic

Kalemic TRIBE Promoter

I just bought a Kensington 64GB this weekend to replace my main drive that failed in my desktop. Haven't had much time to get a feel for it, but I'll let ya know.

FYI. It was on sale for $100 at canada computers, includes TRIM support and is supposedly good for 1 million operating hours.

FYI Glitch, the fragmentation issues you speak of, are what are apparently fixed with the introduction of TRIM support.

5. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

I've read that the quality of the SSD drive is really reliant on the controller it uses, so when you see a drive you're interested i'd do some research on that aspect of it.

On a side note, have you thought of a Seagate Momentus XT HDD? it's a regular 500gb HDD with a 4GB SSD partition, which the drive supposedly copies your most frequently used data to. I've heard good things in terms of performance vs cost.

6. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

thats great news ! i havent read about that yet.

[jai]

7. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

that SL doesn't support.

If you're buying one for your MPB, don't cheap out and get one with native garbage collection cuz the OS ain't doing it for ya

8. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

these things are the emperor's new clothes i think...i have been using one in my machine since the day they launched. if someone took my laptop and swapped the mechanical drive back in i probably wouldn't even notice...is there a difference? maybe a bit, but not much.

even timing things like boot, opening certain files etc i didnt really see a huge difference.

its certainly nothing like a real SSD

9. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Momentus XT. The reviews of the device on the Mac I found said it wasn't a crazy speed increase over a standard 7200 rpm mechanism, but that the drive seemed to do well caching application data on it's invisible ssd partition; once the setup has been used for a while, apps often open in one bounce.

And yes, OS X doesn't yet support TRIM, so this is a safer bet in the nearterm.

10. Kalemic

Kalemic TRIBE Promoter

I don't know what SL stands for?

I picked up the Kingston SSDNow V-Series G2

Any links with more info to read up on? I only did some quick review searches before purchasing and it seemed alright, granted I decided to try a SSD not so much for speed but for the lack of moving parts.

11. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Snow Leopard, the current Mac OS

12. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

ok so SL won't support some SSD drives?

I thought about the hybrid drives and I have a 500 GB external so I figure why not go full SSD on my portable and keep all my stuff on my external and swap it over when needed.

The hybrid I agree is a little iffy

13. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

SL will support all drives, it just wont take advantage of the TRIM command. Just make sure you buy a newer gen one that has native garbage collection. Apple msg board users seem to have the best results with the newer Intel X series.

14. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I'm using an Intel X-25M 80gb G2 drive and couldn't be happier.

Got the 40gb X-25V for my gf's build this summer - and its a little bit of a slower performer since it basically has only one channel of 40gigs compared to the dual-channel "M" drives, but its plenty fast for her needs and still feels snappy when Im moving around...

SSDs are amazing and I think anyone considering one should go for it!

check here: Storage - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

I think anandtech has had the best coverage/insight in to SSDs bar none, and should be required reading for anyone making the transition to SSD.