• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

splinter/threshold old skool jam!

vox

TRIBE Member
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

what a PUNISHING NIGHT. holy crap. as someone who was involved in throwing the goddamn party, even **I** was shocked and amazed that we managed to keep up the momentum for the third straight year. the vibe was amazing! so many people dancing their little s off...so many people i love to see surrounding me and having a great time!

this was a stellar night through and through. i honestly couldn't have asked for better. both floors were SLAMMING! the djs were note-perfect.

medicine muffin LAID DOWN THE LAW. it was truly a little history lesson.

the tunes were off the hook!

thanks to all the djs: recoil, c64, lexx, 0=0, dave cooper, easy rush and rumbleton, and last but not least...TOXIC!

nothing makes a party better than having toxic and my favorite frankie gunns pummelling us with the sweetest hardcore mine ears have ever heard.

frankie gunns definitely got the night he deserved! thanks to everyone who showed up...and most of all, thanks to c64 and frankie gunns for being the best friends and co-promoters a girl could ask for *heart*

i kinda poosed out early on the after-party...but we're going to do it all up again...TONIGHT!

the absolute best was seeing ryan, janie, and liz out! especially cuz janie originally said that she wasn't feeling well...and would have to make it an early night...then 1/2 an hour after she shows up, she gets like, TWO DRINKS in her...and she got sucked in til the very end!

the mercy, chris, ryan and alexi reunion was the BEST! we all gotta have dinner soon!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
last night was phenomenal. i came straight from work, after a week of working overtime hours, and i just wanted to put it all behind me.
came in early to be greeted by a free c64 cd and some friendly faces. the basement had been renovated nicely since my last visit to the Lab.

at 11, 0=0 played possibly one of my favourite all funk sets in the basement. when he started, janiecakes and i were 2 of only 5 people in the room. by the time he finished, the place was RAMMED with people losing their shit as he dropped tune after tune. you couldn't NOT shake your ass to this stuff. (and it was all on 45s as far as i could tell!)

i went back upstairs for a little jungle education. i'm one of those people who doesn't listen to jungle on a regular basis but when i find it in these little venues, crammed full of people having the greatest time, showing mad love to the DJ, i am in heaven.
Medecine Muffin was amazing. people we banging on tables, walls, support beams... it was pretty crazy in there! (and hot - really fucking hot)

i had such a great time, saw some folks i actually haven't seen in years. it brought back some great memories of Splinter jams of yore.
zorak, you're hilarious. i'm so glad to have met you finally. big ups country, disco and gospel! ain't nobody gonna hold us down!
Phil, you were great company and probably think i'm a nut. ask rentboy, i'm sure he can substantiate any of those suspicions! haha
terrrawrist, see you at MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS! aww yeah.
janiecakes, i am NOT responsible for your late staying, beer swigging ways! what happened to making a cameo appearance? haha you are a wild and crazy guy.
mercy and chris, thank you for continuing to throw these jams year after year. you keep getting better with age! maybe its all the donuts (is that a euphemism? i dont even know anymore)

vox

TRIBE Member
donuts are the euphemism of euphemisms!

(for what, i do not know)

haha!

i think i'm going to get my little wee techno feet wet and check out jeff mills too! he seems to come highly recommended!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vox

TRIBE Member
zorak is my best girl.

seriously, kiddo...i love you to death.

be prepared for the summer of us going BUCK EVERYWHERE.

haha.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
last night was the JAM!!!!...

everybody was losing their marbles last night and it was nice to see...you could just see the total love for DnB,we took that shit right to it's roots last night and it was refreshing to go BACK like that:D ...cheers to all who made it happen...VOX,props fpr the party(and the donuts!) nice to see you shakin' it out there too...usually the peeps invilved are running around like chickens with their heads cut off but you were in party mode and it was nice to see...

booty bits,janie, and philly always a pleasure...and millsy for sure;)

BIG BIGBIG thumbs up to medicine muffin for manhatten melodies...I nearly had a 'art attack when I heard the piano come in...:D BEST tune ever IMO and one that I think represents what jungle is about!

great night out and you fuckin' bet I'll be at the next one!

BTW do I really look like a possum??:D

vox

TRIBE Member
honestly dude...

the main reason i THROW parties is cuz it allows me to engineer the ideal situation for me to be IN party mode.

i can't stress enough what pure crazy joy i get from being surrounded by all my favorite people, listening to my favorite djs playing my favorite music...

it's the apotheosis of everything i love about partying. it's plur-tastic.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vox
honestly dude...

the main reason i THROW parties is cuz it allows me to engineer the ideal situation for me to be IN party mode.

i can't stress enough what pure crazy joy i get from being surrounded by all my favorite people, listening to my favorite djs playing my favorite music...

it's the apotheosis of everything i love about partying. it's plur-tastic.

when MM dropped lemon D I lost it...one of the highlights for me on ANY dancefloor this and most of last...good stuff:)

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
You guys shut up! My "be responsible" plans went out the window and I have nobody to blame but Liz.

Seriously though, it was way too much fun to leave. Who knew I love funk so much? Yay.

Awesome jam.

GET IT SPLINTER GET IT!

ps. Really nice hangin out with you kids and chatting with some people I haven't seen in a billion years.

T

TRIBE Member
wow... I guess I should be able to drop a proper review now.

0=0 - Ive never seen anyone cause such a mess with their parents records .:p
Lexx - fuckin incredible set. this man throws down the classic house like noones bizness, everything spot on! Reel 2 Real W00T!!

I only caught a bit of Coopers set, and i can only imagine what it was like.

Muffin was takin everyone to school upstairs, definitly a toronto legend. Hats off to you!

Gunns! Happy birthday mofo, its always a blast doin teh b2b thing, and last night was no different. sorry for the amount of cheese I had to drop, but it was necessary. and thank you so much for that record. World Domination w00t!!

overall, another incredible Splinter jam. alwyas quality, ghetto flyers, sick jams!
Big thanks to mercy, chris and ryan..

Last edited:

T

TRIBE Member
one more thing i just remembered.

somehwere bettween playing "the movement - Jump" and "Nicollete - Dove Song" last night, it dawned on me. This is by far the best oldskool crowd i have ever played for. and it's happened 3 years in a row!!!

-R

philly

TRIBE Member
i had an awesome time. great vibe and solid music. it was even bonus that you got a cd that's wikked.

suprised that i spent alot of time downstairts. someone told me last nite that breakbeats make the world go round but classics are classics and are the root of any musical genre.

good seeing people that i haven't seen in awhile and it was awesome meeting all the new cats (liz and terra see you guys at mills for sure. maybe i can grab a toe of you or something)

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by philly
i had an awesome time. great vibe and solid music. it was even bonus that you got a cd that's wikked.

suprised that i spent alot of time downstairts. someone told me last nite that breakbeats make the world go round but classics are classics and are the root of any musical genre.

good seeing people that i haven't seen in awhile and it was awesome meeting all the new cats (liz and terra see you guys at mills for sure. maybe i can grab a toe of you or something)

you'll see me there with BELLS on...oh shit I slay me:D

you can have the pinly...who the fuck needs a pinky anyway??...Ok i'm floating into seinfeld territory so I'll quick now;)

zorak

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vox
zorak is my best girl.

seriously, kiddo...i love you to death.

be prepared for the summer of us going BUCK EVERYWHERE.

haha.

one of the happiest moment of my night was dancing beside you when rick dropped that tune "just close your eyes, forget your name"...we both went mental and just smiled at each other...aaaaaah so rad. THAT is why i love oldskool. we had some really great laughs! and yes, this summer is gonna be BUCK BUCK BUCK. squarepusher soon!!

i think friday night sums up why i love splinter...no nonsense, pure fun times. what a fucken great crew of people that i'm proud to call my friends.

medicine muffin was on fire!!!!!!11 but i gotta say, the set of the night (as expected) was definitely TOXIC and GUNNS. goddamn do these guys know how to woo the crowd. i told c64 that i officially want to marry both gunns and rick toxic and he's like "GET IN LINE LADY! i'm FIRST!".

it was so cool seeing janiecakes and hal after 5 billion years and really nice to meet Booty Bits. "i love all kinds of music. except country" <-- CAN IT! haha

sweet sweet night, big up!