• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

splinter brings the noise

zorak

TRIBE Member
ok so even though that crazy european weirdo didn't show up, splinter was packed with smiles and love last night.

what is it about these parties?! they instantly put people in a good mood. and i love the diverse crowd.
you've got your oldschool junglist crew
the markham homeboys
the toronto jungle glitterati (that means you clancy :))
the breakcore stragglers
the straight up random dude on 87 "ecstacy tablets" wearing sunglasses
random well-dressed europeans guys who look like they could be seba
boys who are clearly from brampton/heart lake, keeping the 1997 junglist style alive
sexy girls brocking out like what
etc...

anyway,i had a fantastic time as usual. i think it's awesome that everytime splinter does a show, you're guaranteed to see certain kids there that you haven't seen since the last show. and the fact that people came out with mad love last night, despite seba's slip-up, is pretty effin' ACE.

nuff ruspek due rudeboys, trussme blap blap jah boh ruffneck!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Understated

TRIBE Member
got there a little later, main floor smelled like puke, security were meanies, and there were a shitload of guys in the place... but in general heard some bumping tunes from c64 and frankie... was really digging the dirty amens.
got really stoned and became anti-social, so i just bounced away until the lights came on...
great to see the regular faces... and to the random others i met...

sprinter, seba or no seba, last night was good times...! and thx for the cd!

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
got in there a little after 1 and was SO glad there were breakage CDs left(bumped it on the ride home and it went down smoooth!) we were quickly greeted with a pungent smell that easily could have been rotting carcesses had we not been told it was some guy's stomach chowder...dirty.

who needs UK talent when you have local champions like gunns and C64??...seriously!...these guys never fail to impress me with both mixing/track selection. old photek and Teebee and the kicker: OUR SOUND REMIX!!...the few people at the front just went off when that dropped!...music was solid the short time I was there.

always nice running into the usual crew(s) with smiling faces...can't wait for the next one:)

vox

TRIBE Member
thank you to the splinter massive who made it out and showed your proverbial appreciation for what happened.

i haven't gotten the full word from seba yet, but i'm almost 99.9999% sure it was the agent's fault, he is way to professional and upstanding a guy to not have his shit in gear. he was really looking forward to playing in toronto.

thanks to mutt for laying it down proper...and thanks to lucid to coming back to toronto so we can finally stop relying on the wiz to be the mc *cough* drunky mclushface *cough*

after five years, it's true...our luck had to turn, as much as it breaks my OCD-micro-managing heart.

we'll be coming back before the end of summer to make it up to all of you.

thanks again to everyone who showed for contributing to that textbook splinter goodtime vibe! we can't do it without the lot of you!

p.s. that new klute tune is THE LICK!

p.p.s. that synth in torn is also, the lick.

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Man, the lab stank like shit. Just going in to get drinks was more than enough of the stench then I could bare. Tried a few times to go inside and dance, only to have to come back out gagging.

And whats up with the Nazi patio bouncer? It felt like grade school all over again. Everyone in your seats! Noone moves. Noone stands.

I think I'm done with the lab for good.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Chubbs said:
And whats up with the Nazi patio bouncer? It felt like grade school all over again. Everyone in your seats! Noone moves. Noone stands.

yeah, that guy was fucked. I wasn't even standing at the entrance and he started breaking my balls.

Anyway, it was a shame Seba fell through. But the party went off well...i didn't really notice the barf stank after a while.

Props to Splinter for coming through... and the locals rocked it.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
yeah that bouncer was fucked.

we got there at 1 and I forgot my ID( I never bring it there simply because they rarely check!) and so we had to drive back to get it which took close to 40 mins...we get back and he's sitting on his ass barely looking up and just points us in!!!....dude,we had to go all the way back to just get pointed in!?...could have saved me the trouble....fucking villain.

there was a brief fight involving him too near the end of the night:D

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Ahh the Lab. Definitely big up the Splinter crew for throwing it down despite the circumstances. You throw solid jams and it’s too bad they sometimes they’re somewhat undermined by elements beyond your control.

I suspect this thread might partially turn into a case for why the Lab should be off the tolerable venue list, so I'll add my words. It's too bad about that stench as it kept me outside missing some sets I wanted to catch; most notably, c64's. The bouncer's arbitrary ID check was a bit maddening as well -I also forgot mine and despite being 28, was told I wouldn't be allowed in however, after I showed my Visa (the only thing I had with me with my name on it) I was let in. The patio politics were a bit much although I understand they might be licensed for only so many people out there so they were probably just covering their ass. The most absurd bouncing decree I caught wind of last night was that those with hoods were not allowed to wear them while standing outside. ???

Good times nonetheless. As Zorak noted, it was a notable mix n blend of people united in desire for speedy breakbeats and I think for the most part expectations were met. Thanks guys. And thanks for the CD.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
terrawrist III said:
yeah that bouncer was fucked.

we got there at 1 and I forgot my ID( I never bring it there simply because they rarely check!) and so we had to drive back to get it which took close to 40 mins...we get back and he's sitting on his ass barely looking up and just points us in!!!....dude,we had to go all the way back to just get pointed in!?...could have saved me the trouble....fucking villain.

there was a brief fight involving him too near the end of the night:D

ha! my mate forgot his ID and he wasn't going to let him in, even though he clearly doesn't look underage.

So, my mate offered him 10 bucks and he accepted...wack!

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
I know people can get deals on the place if you know people but it's time to take it out of the venue rotation for small/mid-small established companies. The bathrooms are awful, the bouncers are awful and lately there is ALWAYS trouble with them(the bouncers). It's a weird shaped room anyways. Finshed!

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
rentboy said:
ha! my mate forgot his ID and he wasn't going to let him in, even though he clearly doesn't look underage.

So, my mate offered him 10 bucks and he accepted...wack!

LOL...I actually DID offer him a 10 as well but right in front of his superior:D

I at least got a laugh out of that luck before I dashed home

also that breakage set has been steadily on repeat since saturday night...that was a truly amazing night!...hope splinter brings him back:)

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
If the Lab is so awful & it is, it has also (it seems) been getting way worse over the last several months. Why use it at all?! There are other venues of the same capacity & with better sound too. Maybe we can see Seba at a larger venue! Or outside.... *swoons*

The stench was really really bad by the bar but if you got inside on the dancefloor it wasn't bad at all. Move inside peeps! I danced the night away so I missed all the usual security action, but I've had enough of those guys from prior events. Understated, you goof! Should of said hi! Yr PM was hilarious...

jungalissa

TRIBE Member
good times as always, hit the bottle a little too much perhaps and became completely shit faced.

sorry to those who were in the BR as I banged on the door screaming for you to hurry up and do your drugs

hello to all those who I met and now don't remember

hello to Emcee Fly Bry who I think may be very cute, or maybe not, I was at my worst by that time

thanks to Frankie Gunns who threw down like it was 1999. repect to Splinter productions et al...no headliners needed, a solid jam

AND THANK YOU!!!! for the Breakage CD *swoons*

0=0

TRIBE Member
what's so bad about the lab?

i haven't been there in a bit but i've never had a bad time there...the only thing that bugs me is the soundsystem (or lack thereof)..

j

0=0

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
A change in doorstaff can quickly send a venue to the pits. Surely there must be a venue of comparable size that can be used for next time...

Reading about some of the static made me kind of glad that I couldn't reach, but it's too bad because the Lab has been one of my favourite little venues for years.

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
0=0 said:
what's so bad about the lab?

i haven't been there in a bit but i've never had a bad time there...the only thing that bugs me is the soundsystem (or lack thereof)..

j

0=0

Oh whatever. :rolleyes: The venue is shit and the bouncers are shittier. You're telling me that the basement is fun? It's gross & smells bad & is just plain ick to the max. When a venue smells of puke it'd be nice for someone to take charge & clean it up. Not to mention the sound is pretty bad. Not a venue for someone like Seba for sure, which you totally know.

vox

TRIBE Member
well...if you have a list of free venues in that size range, that don't have weeklies already running, i'm more than happy to hear your suggestions.

seba has played a lot worse.

not that i'm defending the door practices, and in fact, i'm pretty pissed about it, but in the past, the lab has been nothing but good to splinter and we've had a good run with them.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
vox said:
well...if you have a list of free venues in that size range, that don't have weeklies already running, i'm more than happy to hear your suggestions.

seba has played a lot worse.

not that i'm defending the door practices, and in fact, i'm pretty pissed about it, but in the past, the lab has been nothing but good to splinter and we've had a good run with them.

i really like the lab as a venue...and don't stop throwing gigs there on account of a few dissidents.

If they can change their doorstaff then it'd be a sweet joint still.