• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Spiderman sets box office record; $114 million

The Truth

TRIBE Member
'Spider-Man' Sets $114 Million Record at Box Office

Sun May 5, 1:15 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Spider-Man" a highly anticipated comic-book hero saga, kicked off the lucrative summer movie season in North America with a record three-day gross of $114 million, according to studio estimates issued on Sunday.

The film, released by Columbia Pictures, smashed the old three-day record of $90.3 million, set last November by "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."

"Spider-Man" also broke the boy wizard's benchmarks for highest single-day receipts, said Jeff Blake, Columbia's president of worldwide marketing and distribution.

The film revolves around a high-school geek, played by Tobey Maguire, who is bitten by a spider and is soon able to scale walls and shoot webs from his wrist. Kirsten Dunst co-stars as his love interest, and Willem Dafoe as the villainous Green Goblin. Sam Raimi directed the film, which was reportedly budgeted between $120 million and $130 million.

The audience was evenly split between males and females, and between viewers aged over and under 25, Blake said.

The "Spider-Man" gross of $43.7 million on Saturday broke the "Harry Potter" single day record of $33.5 million, and the new film reached $100 million in three days, while "Harry Potter" took five days.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/weekendboxofficer.html

I gotta wonder as to how much it made per screen and how many screens it played at compared to other box office smashes. Really when these box office numbers are posted, they don't really say how many screens the "new box office champ" is playing at and how it compares to the previous.

From the Ministry of trainspotting. No disrespect intended towards The Truth...

Prime Minister Highsteppa

Plato

TRIBE Member
5 screens on opening night
6 screens on the weekend
here at our local silvercity

so i guess about the same for the rest

p[l]a+0

Also, these numbers of how much they make are always estimates. The real amount of how much a movie made in a single weekend is usually determined the following week, after all the recounts, refunds and anything else is factored in.

From the Ministry of there have been plenty of claims that were changed the following week when the recount was done.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
I gotta wonder as to how much it made per screen and how many screens it played at compared to other box office smashes.
Spiderman: 3615 theatres = $31,535 per theatre

That's pretty huge.

Although, I hate when recent movies set money-making records, because movie tickets cost about 5x as much as they did when Star Wars came out etc.

Originally posted by The Truth
Spider-Man was shown on 3615 screens-do the math yourself for a per screen average

http://movies.yahoo.com/hv/boxoffice/latest/rank.html
I'm quite willing to bet that the showing of Spider-man on 3615 screens is a record unto its own. ;)

From the Ministry of some magazine did the math a while ago, adjusting for rising ticket prices and the like. All time box office champ was Gone With the Wind. Think it was Premiere

tobywan

TRIBE Member
When I heard yesterday that Spiderman had pulled in $40 million on friday, I knew it was gonna be huge....but $114 mil for the weekend!?!?

:eek:

Bias

CC

TRIBE Member
beating box office "gross sales" records is retarded.... when star wars came out, movies were probably $4; maybe less. if you triple the price of tickets, the records mean nothing.... but i will say that spiderman probably sold out every theater all weekend

i guess it's easy to have success when 99% of the movies out are a pile of....

CC

Originally posted by CC
beating box office "gross sales" records is retarded.... when star wars came out, movies were probably $4; maybe less. if you triple the price of tickets, the records mean nothing.... but i will say that spiderman probably sold out every theater all weekend

CC
All that matters is the first opening weekend. Spider-man if the estimates are correct, has made back its budget and is now making nothing but green for the studios.

From the Ministry of claim of #1 at the box office = big deal for the studio behind it.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by CC

CC
Exactly right, it's like comparing apples and oranges...I think with some indices, Jaws is still the biggest grossing movie of all time....I remember when I was a little kid looking in the paper and seeing Jaws "75th week!"...can you imagine?! That movie was in the theatres for nearly two fucking years!!!
Spiderman will cease to attract moviegoers by early July.

Eclipze

TRIBE Member
just saw it on the imax.. very entertaining
awesome fx's
question-- when spidy is slingin around the city...where does all the web shit go? does it just dissolve? does the city have to clean that shit up? what?
-E :p

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kerouacdude

Exactly right, it's like comparing apples and oranges...I think with some indices, Jaws is still the biggest grossing movie of all time....I remember when I was a little kid looking in the paper and seeing Jaws "75th week!"...can you imagine?! That movie was in the theatres for nearly two fucking years!!!
Actually, with adjusted grosses (basically taking approx. # of tickets sold times what the average cost of going to a movie today), "Gone With the Wind" is head and shoulders over everyone else when it comes to Domestic Gross.

Link

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Eclipze
just saw it on the imax.. very entertaining
awesome fx's
question-- when spidy is slingin around the city...where does all the web shit go? does it just dissolve? does the city have to clean that shit up? what?
-E :p
In the comics it desolves after about 3 hours.

So I'm guessing it's the same thing.

My question is......what's the webbing made of?

ewwwww

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
It's not hard to bring in $114 million in three days when ticket prices are $13!!!!!!!!!

No that's some fragernackle Bullshit!!!

kuba

TRIBE Member
i found this movie to be weak. although my disclaimer is that i hate big time blockbusters and movies made for the masses. The script was poor, probably what brought the movie down. I think that they made the characters look too much over the top while peter parker was just his normal self. what was up with shilinger playing the editor jamison? (for those who are fans of Oz)

The animation was nice but it took too long to get past the story to get some action. and the green goblin was kinda crap with his plastic mask.

i dont know, i just didnt like it.

my $0.01

CC

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kerouacdude

good point on the jaws movie..... staying power is something that many movies lack lately. movies even 10-20 years ago seemed to be written with more of an emphasis on artistic/quality. jaws is a great example. i didn't think that the movie was cheesy at all. if that movie was made now, they'd have j-lo in it and she'd be wearing a wet t-shirt for half the movie.

CC

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories