1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Speeding Tickets Now Coming From Outer Space aka douchebaggery

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by glych t.anomaly, Apr 22, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

As though cameras on top of every traffic light weren't bad enough already: there's now a trial run of satellites that will catch you speeding, over a several-block range, from hundreds of miles up. Hope for clouds, I guess?

The SpeedSpike system is being tested at two locations in London, and works a little differently than your typical trap: cameras on the ground are assisted by satellites that are capable of calculating your average speed between two points. Which to me just means a lot of speeding, then going very, very slowly, then speeding, and so on:

The company said in its evidence that the cameras enabled "number plate capture in all weather conditions, 24 hours a day". It also referred to the system's "low cost" and ease of installation.
    The system could be used for "main road enforcement for congestion reduction and speed enforcement", and could help to "eliminate rat-runs" and cut speeds outside schools, it added. It could also reduce the need for speed humps.
    So much for hoping for clouds. Maybe a stray meteor, then?

sneaky, very very sneaky.

2. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

They should just install a system in every car's GPS that will notify you that's your speeding and automatically charge your credit card for going over the speed limit.

*Bleep* You are going 155$ over the speed limit *Bleep*
  3. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

there's a producer that uses a midi-controlled satellite to bounce sonar signals off different parts of the earth, and then uses those samples live in real-time. its really cool shit - i'll post a link if i can find it. fuckin unreal stuff.
  5. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

fml. I live in Alberta and on the way home last night, I got a $700 ticket from photo radar.

I was going through a construction zone, for beginners, so the fine is automatically doubled. On top, I was going more than 50 km/h over the speed limit.

If I was doing 49 over the limit in a construction zone, the ticket is something like $351. I was doing at least 50 over so now it doubles to $702.

fuck. me. sideways.
  6. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

How exactly is this simpler or cheaper than regular camera speed traps given that one still needs a ground based camera?

7. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I have a pretty good track record getting out of speeding tickets.

I always ask to see the proof. If the coppers can't show you proof that you were speeding = no ticket.

But when they do have proof you have to suck it up and they never reduse the fines.
  8. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

its probably because you're a famous politician.
  9. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

you would think with all the contraban I have in my car. (but its not mine, someone left it there)
  10. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

suuuurrrre......"officer i wasn't speeding. time was going backwards and I was merely trying to catch up with it. Technically i was gonig -140 Km/h, and now YOU owe ME money
  11. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

How about everyone just commutes via zipline?