• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Speeding ticket info?

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
Hey..

Scenario:

Merge onto the 401 doing about 120/130... switch lanes immediately (but properly) into the fast lane to go past a transport truck.. accelerate to 140... look behind me.. flashing lights.. I am pulled over before the next ramp which is like... half a km between the 2 ramps (harwood to westney ramp for those who know)...

Now... i was doin 40 over (hehe i was still accelerating..he should have waited)... but he gave me a ticket for 20 over.. wh ich is still 3 points and $100...

So anyways.. my court date is tomorrow for it because I don't think he had my properly tagged... basically i doubt he got me on radar cause he was driving with traffic.. AND .. don't cop cars have to tail you for a certain distance. .like a KM.. to get a proper speed reading? he had me for less than a km FOR SURE!

so..
a) should i just say fuck it and not even go to court
b) go to court and just plead guilty if the cop shows (durham cops are getting a better record for showing these days)
c) go with my 'was merging into traffic, was on the highway for less than a km' story?

Advice would be welcome:)

Thanks.

Dave

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
well i don';t think they do radar while driving, right? and i must of just popped up in front of him (bad luck)... and he got up to my speed and then turned on his cherry's...

swenard

TRIBE Member
They do have radar while driving!!!!!!!!!!

they can get you when they're stopped,when they're driving towards you and when they're behind you.

Your best bet is go to court and if you see the cop there, leave.

Or go and plead guilty with an excuse and they will drop the points off for you!

shawn<---has had his share of traffic incidents

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
so how lame is the excuse that I was literally merging in with traffic from the on ramp??? like.. if you saw the distance i had travelled on the 401 before i was pulled over you'd laugh and wonder how it was possible...

Cheers,

Dave

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
Dave, ALWAYS go to court.
They love not tying up court time, so if you plead guilty to a lesser charge, and make a deal with the crown, you might have to pay a fine, but they won't take any points.

Ming.

swenard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MalGlo
so how lame is the excuse that I was literally merging in with traffic from the on ramp??? like.. if you saw the distance i had travelled on the 401 before i was pulled over you'd laugh and wonder how it was possible...

Cheers,

Dave
any excuse is lame!! they have heard it all and don't care, if you were in a rush or just merging or passing or whatever.All they want is to move on to the next case.

The best bet is play the system. So take it to court and pray or plead guilty with an excuse.

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
thats what i'm figurin.. shit i don't care about the money.. i just don't want to lose the points... i have a clean record..(somehow.. seeing as i drove for 8 months with an expired g2)

Cheers,
Dave

MBoy

TRIBE Member
More advice to not skip the court date. The cop will probably show, but often in traffic court the crown will have numerous cases to prosecute in succession.... theywill stand there and say "Who wants to make a deal?" so that their day is cut and dry, and less time is spent explaining and excusing.

Usually if you throw yourself at the mercy of the court, they'll drop a point, or even both. Just be humble and respectful. Wear nice clothes.

Good luck. -D

swenard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MBoy
More advice to not skip the court date. The cop will probably show, but often in traffic court the crown will have numerous cases to prosecute in succession.... theywill stand there and say "Who wants to make a deal?" so that their day is cut and dry, and less time is spent explaining and excusing.

Usually if you throw yourself at the mercy of the court, they'll drop a point, or even both. Just be humble and respectful. Wear nice clothes.

Good luck. -D

no hats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bitchass

TRIBE Member
definately go in, but you have to remember that 'i was speeding up to pass someone' isn't an excuse because the speed limit is 100 (or whatever) They'll just turn around and say that you just admitted to speeding. Doesn't matter why.

Rosey

TRIBE Member
talk to the crown attorney before your trial.
tell them it's your first offence (right?) and ask if they can give you a break.
they will most likely let you plead to a lesser charge.

Rosey

TRIBE Member
somewhat related...

Boost speed limit to 130 km/h: researcher
Police strongly opposed to move on Highway 401

Peter Power/Toronto Star

WINDSOR (CP) — The speed limit on Highway 401, southern Ontario's busiest highway, should be boosted to 130 kilometres an hour, say researchers at the University of Toronto.

The current speed limit of 100 kilometres per hour does not reflect improvements in cars and the highway itself in recent years, said civil engineering professor Baher Abdulhai after studying data from Ontario Ministry of Transportation reports.

But provincial police Sgt. Dave Rektor strongly disagreed with the proposal.

"Speeding has been identified as one of the critical issues accounting for at least one-quarter of all the collisions that have happened on our highways," Rektor said.

"The faster you go, the longer it takes to stop, and that the force of collision is much greater."

He said regardless of speed, drivers need to adopt better driving habits.

nusty

TRIBE Member
Fight it. plead insane. Call the cop a liar! whatever it takes, weasel your way out if it. :)

I have faith in you

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bitchass
definately go in, but you have to remember that 'i was speeding up to pass someone' isn't an excuse because the speed limit is 100 (or whatever) They'll just turn around and say that you just admitted to speeding. Doesn't matter why.
bitchass is right. It doesn't matter if you're merging, you go over the limit, they'll say you're speeding. Believe me, I've used it before. ;) Your best bet is to show for the court date and hope the cop doesn't show. If he does show try and work a deal with him.

Pete