1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Species at risk need big, linked parks

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by <FresHFunK>, Jul 9, 2010.

1. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

2. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

i like indirectly saving things, im down.

thanks for the link.

[jai]

3. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

we (as in wildlife nerds) have been pushing the "system" approach to protection and conservation for a long time, not just for parks. wildlife corridors and natural heritage systems are becoming a part of planning and the creation and protection of these connecting habitats is increasing. i.e. a woodland has value - a woodland connected to another NH feature (woodland, wetland, riparian) has more. It's nice that this is being recognized as connecting the parks system would be an excellent step, but given the distance and what lies between some of them is difficult. However the presevation and creating of corridors and features between parks would go a long way in our fragmented natural heritage system.

as well the new SAR legislation protects habitat as well as the species itself, which was a great change of the previous.

my current job actually deals with exactly that - natural heritage systems :)

4. derek

derek TRIBE Member

5. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

The property would fall under the provincial Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan, but because the project dates back so far, it’s subject to the regulations in effect before the plan became law in 2001.

This is the main problem - a lot of the protection acts are very new, so existing projects are often exempt. ORM is 2001, Greenbelt is 2004 (i think) and Lake Simcoe is 2008. From what I can tell - that property would fall in all three geographically, but due to the timeline it doesn't.

6. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

SLOSS!!

Conservation biology is such a downer... it's harm reduction for a society of fossil fuel addicts. What would you like to save--a small fraction of the remaining biodiversity on earth or a small fraction of that small fraction? Pains me to think about it until September.

7. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

Unfortunately I like golfing, and feel that if the course is set up properly they actually attract wild life. As for the chemicals they use, well I don't think they help much. For these "ass hats" in this article, I am pretty sure the $100,000 fine is Peanuts to a developer who is putting in a golf course and condo facility. The Oak Ridge Moraine is a very diverse eco system and should be protected. I live North of it and enjoy the various protected forests. Uxbridge has some nice wood lands around it as well.