1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Speaker setup (on your daw)

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by RumRogerz, Jul 13, 2013.

1. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

Ok guys, I am in the market for a proper new set of stereo speakers for my DAW. They don't necessarily need to have a flat response - I need a good well rounded set of speakers that can give me a good audio experience for a variety of situations -
    production, mixing, casual music listening and movie watching. In terms of price, I don't want to tread over $1000. But i might be tempted. The goal is to have speakers that last and that I can be proud of.

Been looking at Paradigms lately, but I've never actually listened to them before. I know they are legendary, but I don't know if their price point matches their quality.

2. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

Is the person doing the casual music listening and movie watching just you? Although i was warned against buying near-field monitors for general purpose listening, my KRK5s have been totally fine for my single, apartment-dwelling lifestyle. I don't need to watch torrented movies in surround sound, i'm not throwing raves every weekend; i just want to be able to mix my music without having to destroy my ears under cans all day. I wasn't convinced small monitors would work till i listened to a few different sets and realized just how loud they could go. Ended up with the KRK5s (cheapest option) because all my favorite psytrance tracks sounded the shiniest and cleanest on them. They haven't been much help for mixing bass (<150Hz), though i suspect that's more a result of the hardwood floor and concrete walls i haven't bothered to treat. If you're just watching a movie or listening to music which has already been professionally mastered it's fine. What speakers do you currently have? After going a year with these guys i can't see much reason to go for anything bigger unless you are have some very understanding neighbors.

Which is all a roundabout way of saying, if you want some cheap speakers, i am heading overseas in couple of weeks and would be happier to leave my stuff with people that can appreciate it ;-)

3. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

Put it this way - I produce with my computer a few times a week - but this is purely as a hobby - I have never considered going pro because I'm NOT pro. My current setup is two yorkville ysm1i's. Solid speakers, but one blew and now instead of getting it treated, am looking for other avenues.
    I will state that even though I do my *ahem* producing, I generally watch movies, tv shows and listen to very loud techno music with very forgiving neighbours.

4. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

Awesome. I felt guilty this morning sitting in bed watching TV on my computer speakers it's been so long since i had any music up in here :) Good luck, i have even less of a clue when it comes to hi-fi gear!

5. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

You don't need to spend $1000 on speakers/monitors if you are not that serious about production.

I'm serious about it and I still just use $500 monitors.

If I ever wanted a more accurate listening environment I would rather spend another grand (or more) on room treatment instead of getting more expensive speakers.

You can get monitors with a flat response, but if your room's response is not flat (and it won't be without room treatment) then there is no point in spending that much on the monitors themselves.

6. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

My friend has these Adam A7's and they are really good... I am considering them as my 15yr old YSM-1s are starting to go...

A7 - Description | ADAM Audio GmbH

The A5's are $1000 and A7's $1400 at Moog... Not cheap but they sound great..

7. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I use paradigm monitors for my setup, they are part of my 5.1 system but they work perfectly for this and actually have pretty true sound reproduction in comparison to other consumer speakers.

I have no complaints and you should be able to pick them up for under 400/pr

8. Blue Meanies

Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

I own Adam A7x's and they are the best near field monitors I have heard to date (and I have heard A LOT). They are worth every last dollar spent. From production use to just listening to loss-less audio. AMAZING. Simply AMAZING. The icing on the cake is a FULL 5 year warranty on parts and labor.

A7X - Description | ADAM Audio GmbH

That being said, if producing is just a hobby for you and nothing serious (like a career choice/dream) you may be better off buying a cheaper pair of monitors AND a nice sound system.