• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

speaker set up help

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
i've had a recurring problem where small amounts of bass eminating from my yorkville monitors, are shaking the wall of the neighbour next door. i personally dont believe they are shaking the wall like he claims (it's probably a small unce unce), but i have to respect that i have pissed someone off and i'm committed to improving the situation.

the speakers currently face the wall that lines up with his bedroom. if i move the speakers over to that side of the room, and point them into the direction of my general apartment, will i make the problem better or worse? the reason i worry about it getting worse is because now the speakers are actually closer to him. it could be better though because they are shooting the bass to the opposite direction though.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
I think the problem will be worse - from what I know about the dynamics of bass - it tends to direct its energy downwards, not outwards. Likely wherever you go in the room, the bass will get through the wall. Now that your neighbour has an ear for it, that's all he's going to hear and feel - even if its just a slight vibration.

Building bass traps is a viable solution...

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
thanks guys - good info here. they are already resting on auralex mopads. bass traps seem overkill. might have to treat this with hippy cloth on the wall or something.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Bass is tough to deal with. if the speakers are already on monopads then there isn't much you can do other than trying wall treatments and even then it will be trial and error unless you want to spend some dough. Relocating your setup to a room without a connecting wall is likely the best bet but I imagine that might not be possible.

The building we live in has hollow concrete slabs and sound travels very oddly. Sometimes you'll hear music from a couple apartments over but the adjacent apartment to the sound source hears nothing.

When it comes down to it you might have to either move or invest in some really good headphones and limit the use of your monitors to only when necessary.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Deus

TRIBE Member
When it comes down to it you might have to either move or invest in some really good headphones and limit the use of your monitors to only when necessary.
This is what I do. I mainly mix on headphone, but I have monitors to check the sound on full spectrum speaker. This way if it does bother the neighbours it is usually for a hour or so, and the rest of the time I can do my mixing on the phones.

Which way are the ports facing on your monitors?

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I think the problem will be worse - from what I know about the dynamics of bass - it tends to direct its energy downwards, not outwards. Likely wherever you go in the room, the bass will get through the wall. Now that your neighbour has an ear for it, that's all he's going to hear and feel - even if its just a slight vibration.
Bass is virtually omnipresent in every direction from the source. Higher frequencies become more directional.

The problem will become worse if you put your speakers on the shared wall due to bass cornering.

I agree with Wiseman, there isn't much you can do to alleviate the problem.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
This is what I do. I mainly mix on headphone, but I have monitors to check the sound on full spectrum speaker. This way if it does bother the neighbours it is usually for a hour or so, and the rest of the time I can do my mixing on the phones.

Which way are the ports facing on your monitors?
what are the ports? they are yorkville ysm 1s

i am considering one of those headphone room simulators too. like the VRM Box
VRM Box

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
YSM 1's ... The ports are on the front... The tube (hole) of the front of the monitor that allows air to move... I have the same monitors (passive) almost time to get new ones as they are 15yrs old...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
i am considering one of those headphone room simulators too.
VRM Box
I have no faith is this being a solution.. I also don't have any evidence to support my view. I just plain don't trust this to "fool me" in to thinking I'm hearing the same thing I would as if I was not wearing headphones.

Hey I'm far from an expert. So maybe they do what they say they do... I myself just don't trust it. (I'm sure most bungee chords wont break when you jump off a bridge, I still don't trust them! :p )

Just get a good set of fully closed studio headphones..

After testing twice at a friend's house.. and after having a bit of discussion with the guys at L&M.. I settled on these

Long & McQuade - Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed - Back Headphones

I am SOOOO happy with the quality of these.. the bass response is amazing the low low low end sounds great, clean and clear. They don't fatigue my ears too quickly. The build quality is durable and seem as though they are going to last quite some time.

Something that made me feel even better about my purchase - a second employee at L&M came up to me after I made the selection and went on and on how he thinks they are an amazing product and swears by them himself for late night mixing. I highly recommend!

This probably sounds stupid, but they actually sound like KRK 6's in headphone form. Another reason for my decision as they are what I'm used to listening on.

Anyhow... I'd go this way MUCH sooner than that VRM box thing.