1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

speaker decision

Discussion in 'Technology' started by greginhali, Dec 25, 2014.

1. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

I am going to treat myself to a new set of speakers tomorrow. Hep me deciede between these two.

PSB Imagine Minis vs Totem Rainmakers.

I am going to hook them up to my NAD D3020. I have read and hear good reviews about both. But Im no gear head and would love to hear from someone who knows.

Hit me up with a good review. Hot tip? A good set of speakers is what is going to turn my system into something sweet.

thanks
    g

2. rswbrixton

rswbrixton TRIBE Member

PMC db1i
    Focal aria 906

3. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

I haven't heard anything that sounded bad from either brand. I'd say buy both and return the one you don't like. I'm sure bay bloor radio has both.

Next to quality of speaker, speaker placement plays a huge role in how it sounds, so place 'em right!

4. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

I went with the Totem Rainmakers. So far I love them. Music to my ears!

What do you do for placement of speakers? Is there a chart or magic formula? I have some flexibility on where they can go. How do you place them?

5. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

Equilateral triangle with speakers to chair, speakers between 6 and 8 feet apart. Away from walls on either side to minimize reflections. Play with distance from rear wall to augment bass response. Play with toe in, more toe in makes the placement of sound more precise, less toe expands the sound stage. Try not to have anything within the triangle as it'll mess with the sound image.

6. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

MONITOR PLACEMENT

Check You Tube as well... Bass traps in the corners of the room help especially if the speakers are placed in a corner...

7. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member