• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Soviet Russia

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member

My friend and I were in the sleeping quarters of a train departing Berlin on the way to Poland. Stupidly, I trusted him that we wouldn't need visas, as he had done this journey before.

Wine was a big part of our journey as we departed, bags packed. But when we reached the border, at the "other" Frankfort, the soldiers with guns quickly reminded us that the iron curtain was still in some kind of effect.

Well we were stuck at the border at 2am but made it back to Berlin in time to crash on our sacks in the Tiergarten without molestation. I wanted to make it to Russia and still do. Probably to test their gay bars in Moscow while it's still sketchy.

Nowadays everyone goes to Asia, forgetting the vast treasure of eastern Europe.

-jM
A&D

Stop Bill C-10

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
My aspirations to ride the Moscow Express were thwarted within mere minutes. The train had planted geraniums in each window, bedecked with fresh doilies. Unfortunately I missed that train, and was forced to take some efficiently sterile German contraption to my destination.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
The wall had only recently come down; east Berlin was still largely in ruin.

On our way home from a club experience, one I'm not allowed to post about, we found some abandoned ruins.

me> "How can all these apartments just have no people in them?"
friend> "Let's go inside."

It was as if the war had just happened. Despite the facade, the interior was in rubble. Drunk as all fuck and freshly invigorated by deviant German sexuality, we climbed over the bits to arrive at what was an interior courtyard. Given that it was 4 or 5 am, the moonless sky didn't afford us many visuals over what appeared to be grass and small shrubs.

But then there started scurrying some people in the corner of the square. My German was good and I heard some not so well intentioned tones.

me> "We gotta get out of here."

Tripping over rubble, we made it back over a broken wall and onto the staircase back to Friedrichstrasse. Eventually back to our hostel for an hours sleep before we had to get up for the Chicago Philharmonic at the Berliner Operhaus. I was completely steaming, and totally underdressed.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
If I were to wager which city hosted the best Goa clubs, I think I'd have to say it resides in East Berlin.

Many people might suggest somewhere in India or Asia, but I disagree. Berlin affords a certain modesty. The clubs are free of tourist trap clichees, and will cost you a penny more than budget Asian locales. These clubs are set up for the music and sexuality of the locals, if a tourist happens in then so be it.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
That being said, if you are interested in Asia, I'm happy to post my club reviews here but I have the general sensation that I am not allowed to do so.

Japan's clubs were like sugar candy, and lacked gravitas. Aside from one particular club in Tokyo, I didn't feel any sense of "adoit". Well perhaps I am being unfair, the Jigger bar in Nagoya had its share of characters...

As I was told by a retired Japanese, you really have to spend a lot of time in a place to understand its character. Perhaps nowhere else in the world is this as true as Japan.

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

greginhali

TRIBE Member
That being said, if you are interested in Asia, I'm happy to post my club reviews here but I have the general sensation that I am not allowed to do so.

-jM
A&D

Nothing would make my day better than to hear more about your club reviews. Please do share with us!

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Nothing would make my day better than to hear more about your club reviews. Please do share with us!

Once upon a time, I lived in Japan. I actually lived in three different cities in Japan over the course of two years.

Japan, like most civilised countries in the world, has no last call and therefore their clubs migrate towards a 4am closing time. However, there is a burgeoning market for post-club customers.

I can't count the number of times I ended up at the Tequila bar; a place that literally had five seats on the street and served nothing but tequila shots at 5am to alcoholic salarymen who had just come out of whatever place. I have the sad reality of counting myself among them.

One Saturday, I was at my flat watching youtube and drinking beer and being generally depressed. Then, a coworker texted me. His name was "Penny". His name probably still is "Penny". I told him that was a girl's name, like Inspector Gadget, he didn't care.

Penny had found me to be a useful wingman. Apparently hanging out with white people is a major turn on for Japanese women.

I roughly bathed and got on my bicycle to the nearest train station. I had time for a pint.

As planned, we met up at the square in front of Nagoya's largest train station. As promised, there were Japanese women, four of them to be exact, and Penny, and now, me.

I was unusually sober and looking to end that situation so I asked Penny about hurrying up the process towards getting food and drink. I wasn't much for standing in a public square talking awkwardly to what looked like underage Japanese girls.

We went to an Izakaya downtown and Penny tried really hard, but, me being a movie star, all the attention was taken from him and he felt gutted. I also felt gutted as, since I'm gay, I didn't need any of the attention from these girls.

So they left, and by now, say 12am, I was buzzing.

Penny> "Let's go to the sex bar."
me> "Are you sure?"

Penny was frustrated after those women left. Now he wanted to go to the "sex bar". I had heard of these sex bars, one I had been to in China but not allowed to talk about that one.

Penny> "I know one."

Walking around downtown anywhere in Japan is an exercise. But Penny must have known where he was going because we didn't get lost.

doorman> "No foreigners allowed."
Penny> "He's not a foreigner, he works with me."
doorman> "He's obviously a foreigner, he doesn't speak Japanese, he's white"

So Penny turned to me to make some aggregious deal.

Penny> "I can vouch for him, he won't cause any trouble."
Doorman> "Membership is $300, then you can come in."

Well I could understand enough Japanese to know that I was about to be on the line for $300. That's pretty steep at 5am. But I paid it.

Host> "This is where I'm going to put your shoes."
Host> "This is the sex area, you can come in here only if you have an invitation."
Host> "This is the bar. All the drinks are included in your membership."
Penny> "Where are the girls?"
Host> "You have to bring your own girls but you are welcome to approach the ones here."

To be honest, I was more interested in the "bar is free to use", because this establishment was clearly for straight people and I felt that Penny could use it.

Across the bar from me was a woman dressed in school girls' clothes.

To my right was a man wrapped to a bingo circle. I don't know how to described it, one of those circles like you see at a fare or price is right. Or a blackjack spinner. He was completely naked, perhaps 50 years old.

I ordered a drink. I ordered another drink.

Gaijin are not allowed in this bar.

A woman took down my pants and had a large jar of lube, which she applied to my penis. The man from the rotating circle ended up sucking on me, which I didn't notice until I looked down. I thought it was a woman but..

Penny witnessed this all and he translated for me

Penny> "She thought white guys are bigger."

me> "Maybe it's time to go to the Tequila bar?"

Penny left me.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Although the membership is only 30,000JPY, once you have it cover charge is only 1000JPY.

As I only went the one time, I didn't really get my money's worth.

But imagine, ~$10 for all you can drink with sex on the side, quite a fantastic deal if you ask me.

I still have my membership card, here, somewhere, among the piles of papers and envelopes that bedeck my office....

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

greginhali

TRIBE Member
haha, A younger version of me would have loved to, alas my sex bar days have come and gone. But I do enjoy reading about your adventures. I find your prose and honesty refreshing.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Russia has added a digitally altered image of President Vladimir Putin in heavy makeup to its list of banned extremist materials, saying the picture suggests Putin is gay.

The Russian Ministry of Justice last week added the photo to its index of extremist materials ― a list that now includes more than 4,000 images that are illegal to share. The offending image is number 4,071, which the ministry describes a “man resembling the president” whose makeup “hints at the Russian president’s allegedly nonstandard sexual orientation.”

58e568c616000021004d9038.jpg