1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

sources of conflict and peace in a globalized age

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by jebac, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jebac

jebac TRIBE Member

this question was posed to me by a friend of mine studying at university. i was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the subject. kind of a big question to answer, as im sure you can go in many directions

-jebac

2. JEMZ

JEMZ TRIBE Member

A 40km strip of land on the east coast of the Mediterranian comes to mind but I am not sure if that is what you are asking.

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

unobtanium discovered - mayhem ensues...

4. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

source of conflict = pepsi vs coke

source of peace = oreo cookies

5. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

OK let me see where do I start, displaced families with displaced identities, Multiple personalty disorder from certain distortion brought on by massive social change in an unidentified form of community. Misplaced ethics, beliefs and values that exist only to rationalize a convenient way of life. These are all things that could happen, or not. They may actually already be happening. Lack of localized participation. Homeland damage due to foreign financial interests. Civil War. See nothing new really. Read the history books.

6. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

On a lighter note, working towards the implementation of green energy worldwide, and more global issues like clean water and feeding the hungry are more attainable. Technological advances that help issues like this can eventually help us discover a new way of life that allows us to participate in the larger causes.

7. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

I'm not sure about this, didn't Jerry have a lot of problems with the black and white cookie?

8. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

Well put, I particularily like the concentration on cultural factors and confusion about things like identity. Rationalizing all kinds of things is definately going on all over, along with a bunch of denial.

Land disputes and governance issues on the Medateranian are definately high up there too.

Food and water are going to cause problems going forward. Maybe not in Ontario but almost everywhere else in the world is on the edge. For example I tend to wonder how viable the US agriculture industry would be if oil doubled, trippled, or quadrupled in price.

Significant decreases in standards of living is a good aproximation of why people have gone to war in the past, or have been set up for politicians to feed thier populus an enemy to burn at the stake.

Economic colapse could be said to be a cause but I think that it is just the first event which lets other causes take precedence.

It might be an interesting distinction to separate 'why people claim to fight' from 'why people actually fight'. I'm sure if that survey was taken throughout time you'd get a lot of 'we were always at war with East Asia' type of answers.

9. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

+1

Economics and governance both need to be carried out from the ground up. If the lowest groups of people are unable to participate in the economy in a way that allows them to raise a family then collapse is inevitable. This gets into food prices, access to water, and environmental integrity.

Power distribution / allocation will need to be 'solved' because we live in a closed system where X energy comes in and Y energy goes out (per year, day or second, which ever scale you want). If we use more than the balance of those constraints we are depleating our energy reserves and we'll run out.

A clean perpetual motion machine would do all kinds of amazing things for reducing conflict if it was widely distributed.

oh, and we should get rid of jerks. Jerks just fight all the time.

10. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

The danger lies on the patience of people when it comes to change. In a globalized community that identifies with no one as being "one of them" because of the radical changes and differences within political policy and cultural differences in human behavior, can very easily turn into a form of law that becomes very militant in its intent to control the public.
    Frustration with lack of identity can easily turn into large groups of intolerance unless people find ways of working with each other.

11. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

I would be more positive but your talking about a society where a person gets charged for assault for holding back a known, GHB and crackhead user from getting violent and or aggressive in front of 5 young children and a single mother. Ethically what the fuck would you do? The problem here, is the law is like no fault insurance. Everybody gets burned.

12. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

Jerry was a zionist spreading derisive propaganda!!

13. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

War..
    War never changes..

Since the dawn of human kind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing path with rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything, from God, to justice, to simple psychotic rage.

In the year 2077, after millenia of armed conflict, destructive nature of man, could substain itself, no longer. The world was plunged into an abyss of nuclear fire, and radiation.

But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world. Instead, the apocalypse was just the prolouge to another bloody chapter of human history. For man, had succeded destroying the world..

But war..
    War never changes..

[​IMG]

14. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

Now thats just creepy! lol