• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

soundproofing an existing wall... help!

KiX

TRIBE Member
looking for something to block loud voices and noise travelling between two rooms. looking for something relatively inexpensive and not so difficult to install....

i've read just adding another layer of drywall will do a decent job... but how effective is that? are there actual soundproofing materials to consider? looking for an option that won't take up too much floor space as well.

i've been looking online for options but any other help would be greatly appreciated!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
double and triple layers of drywall are very effective. I can give you actual numbers when I get home and dust off my school books if you like.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KiX

TRIBE Member
rude1 - corkboard between the drywall?

groovespinna- that'd be awesome, i'd be interested to see what the decible #'s are and how much noise is expected to be blocked with a layer or two of drywall.

=tina=

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I just did some soundproofing here at work in one of our labs. All we did was hang carpet off the wall. It works perfeclty and it was fairly cheap.

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
cheapest way... another layer of drywall will reduce the sound... you have to make sure its taped properly and sealed at the edges... it wouldn't be "sound proof"... if you place insulation between the two layers... you obviously get better sound proofing... but this will require a stud system and you will probably lose about 4" of your room... sound proofing products are out there... but they are expensive...

something that might work is place a material that has sound absportion qualities between the two layers (certian fabrics, foam) that will allow to still nail into the existing studs using longer nails so that new studs are not needed to support the new drywall.. the material would obviously have to be fairly thin... i've never seen this done but i am guessing it would work...

KiX

TRIBE Member
the wall still has to look like a wall... it's the main wall of a livingroom so hanging carpet or egg cartons isn't really an option. :)

=tina=

KiX

TRIBE Member
Prickly Pete said:
cheapest way... another layer of drywall will reduce the sound... you have to make sure its taped properly and sealed at the edges... it wouldn't be "sound proof"... if you place insulation between the two layers... you obviously get better sound proofing... but this will require a stud system and you will probably lose about 4" of your room... sound proofing products are out there... but they are expensive...

something that might work is place a material that has sound absportion qualities between the two layers (certian fabrics, foam) that will allow to still nail into the existing studs using longer nails so that new studs are not needed to support the new drywall.. the material would obviously have to be fairly thin... i've never seen this done but i am guessing it would work...

thanks! yah the drywall with a layer of something in between sounds like the best option, but if just a layer of drywall will significantly reduce noise so at least loud talking and tv noise won't transmit that may be good enough.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
KiX said:
the wall still has to look like a wall... it's the main wall of a livingroom so hanging carpet or egg cartons isn't really an option. :)

=tina=

A few friends of mine who are in a band corked their wall so they could practice at home once in a while without pissing off their neighbours too much. It actually ended up looking stupid dope (that's the *good* stupid dope), because they were able to tack shit up whenever they wanted. They'd go to fabricland and grab a few yards of some cool material and tack it to the wall, completely changed the look and feel of the room, and when they got bored of it they'd just go back to fabricland. (These were broads... not recommended for anyone with a penis).

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
there is special drywall that can be used. if it's only one wall, you might as well spend a bit more and do it properly. again, Im not in front of this info at the moment, and it's been a few years since I've seen it. Ill PM you tonight or whatever.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Different materials will cut out different frequencies. Ideally you need several different kinds of material and a gap of air in there somewhere. so if you have the time and knowhow build a wall an inch away from your current wall with a layer of drywall and cork on the outside. then insulation in between the walls and more cork and drywall on the real wall. try to make everything as airtight as possible, windows and doors particularly. then of course you have a stuffy room but you can't fix that without expensive air circulation duct work done.

for cheap I would suggest doing all that has been suggested. go for cork on top of carpet on top of drywall.

KiX

TRIBE Member
oooh special drywall? that'd be perfect. thanks so much i'd totally appreciate any more info you have on that.

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
girls shouldn't be allowed to start bands.

this is still going to cost you some coin to make this work, AND look nice. may i ask, what is the application?

Poot

TRIBE Member
I wonder if my neighbour will think something's up if he comes home to find me putting carpet, and layers of drywall, up on his walls.

hmmmm...

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Poot said:
I wonder if my neighbour will think something's up if he comes home to find me putting carpet, and layers of drywall, up on his walls.

hmmmm...

dangle something shiny or throw a ball of yarn at him. It'll keep him busy long enough for you to finish and make your exit.

KiX

TRIBE Member
SweatyNuts said:
girls shouldn't be allowed to start bands.

this is still going to cost you some coin to make this work, AND look nice. may i ask, what is the application?

soundproofing to stop bitchass neighbours from being fussy about regular noise past 11pm. it totally doesn't have to be some crazy setup so that we can throw a club night up in the living room without the neighbours hearing, but we need to prevent regular-loud talking and television noises from transmitting to next door. (it's a duplex and the neighbour's bedroom is beside the living room)

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
:D I might be moving into this apartment and i am concerned about the stupid neighbours! Keep the soundproofing options coming....I really like the place

I mean who the hell moves into an attached house and then complains about noise - grrrrr