• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Sound Proofing

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
g'day lads.

I'm building a production shack in my back yard (in a residential area), and need some tips on how to keep the majority of the sound within the confines of said shack.

obviously some leakage is ok, but I'm quite worried about those pesky low frequencies wreaking havoc on the neighbourhood.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
As far as wall assemblies go this product is available at Rona and works very well.

Sonopan

Another note, be sure not to violate any municipal building setbacks. You probably need a building permit.

If you start making loads of noise in there and the city comes investigating you'll be in trouble.

rulz

TRIBE Member
The best thing is to build it out of something solid like concrete or bricks.
wrong. This will cause a nightmare reflection situation which you could treat with acoustic panels etc but maximum shack space is regulated by building code and project will become very expensive if he will have to apply for building permit.

Deus

TRIBE Member
You're so polite. His question wasn't about acoustics it was about keeping sound in and to keep sound in you need something solid otherwise it will vibrate and propagate the sound.

rulz

TRIBE Member
You're so polite. His question wasn't about acoustics it was about keeping sound in and to keep sound in you need something solid otherwise it will vibrate and propagate the sound.
How is it "keeping sound in" not related to acoustics ?

Ask yourself what is the point of having an additional structure for the purpose of music production where acoustics are absolutely terrible ?

Additionally for walls made out of concrete or concrete blocks it is required to build footings that are 1.2 meters below the grade.

Also something to consider is that you will probably have to apply for building permit anyway unless your structure is less than 108sq ft.

Double walls and ceilings with sonopan might do the trick though, additional layer of sand might be beneficial on the floor (above the concrete slab).

ideally you probably should be looking at something like in picture below but on smaller scale given that city will only allow you so much space for placing shed on the property

if i would do it and budget wouldn't be too much of an issue i would go with solid wood walls from a softer wood type.

Realistically you probably might look into something like a pre-fabricated shed on concrete slab and then do some double walling on inside.

like this :

also in terms of acoustics avoid purely square sheds and minimize windows also if you can avoid flat ceiling do it.

also this one is a good intro read: http://www.auralexuniversity.com/acoustics101v3_0.pdf

good luck with your project

ImperialThrilla

TRIBE Member
I thought about something like this, but what about keeping your stuff from freezing in the winter? Electric heating 24x7 sounds expensive to me.

IT

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
If you really wanna get educated about how to do this, I suggest you start looking at the Studio Building and Acoustics forum over at Gearslutz.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
I thought about something like this, but what about keeping your stuff from freezing in the winter? Electric heating 24x7 sounds expensive to me.

IT
all you have to do is keep it above zero, and one of those oil radiator space heaters on low would do the trick if the space is properly insulated... just crank it when you're planning on doing some work.

my primary concern is the summer.