• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

soulseek assholes

zoo

TRIBE Member
by far the bratwurst thing on this network is when people don't put their files into directories for individual albums

when you search for an album, and a result pops up, and the directory name is something like bl^ , i'm assuming it's just inproperly named, not the root directory of their soulseek shared folders, so i grab the containing folder

then 10,000 songs get queued and everyone's soulseek freezes

thanks alot, asshole.

zoo

TRIBE Member
it's not about stealing music

it's about hapless techno-weenie morons being allowed to use computers

if all your mp3s are in the same unsorted directory, please stick to kazaa

soulseek doesn't want you

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
rents don't bother arguing

both you and i know that we are the scourge of society

downloading music turns you into a raving homocidal maniac!

vox

TRIBE Member
hahaha...my sis is a federal prosecutor in new york...so every time she comes up to hang out she gives us all a stern lecture on file-sharing.

we all have these massive arguments about it.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
rents don't bother arguing

both you and i know that we are the scourge of society

word..now carry on with the DLs ;)

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
so are you saying that you only DL music that can no longer be purchased?

for the most part yeah.

most of what i share is out of print or from labels and artists that don't exist anymore.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
for me it IS hard to justify stealing music from artists(especiialy those who DO need the extra coin) but this is payback in a sense for running my life when we were younger and don't know better...in a selfish way I like think in some part IM in control of what I hear/not hear and P2P promotes that...that's my justification for stealing

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo

Not a homocidal maniac but it does dull the sense of value, that is the quality of the work and the work put into it. Esentially it dilutes it's worth in the mind of the person who is stealing it.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Downloading copyrighted music is illegal and "wrong", simply put. However, I still do it because I feel that our ingrained understanding of what information is and how it is "dispersed" among people is very, very archaic, and it needs to change. I want to take part in that change, even if I am cutting the 0.01% profit margin the artist would normally get out of the picture.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
Downloading copyrighted music is illegal and "wrong", simply put. However, I still do it because I feel that our ingrained understanding of what information is and how it is "dispersed" among people is very, very archaic, and it needs to change. I want to take part in that change, even if I am cutting the 0.01% profit margin the artist would normally get out of the picture.

not true...someone like MF doom relies on sales to get a new car or whatever...P diddy needs it to get a new gold plated fountain in his 1000 square foot bathroom/sauna...there is a HUGE loss on sales on indie shit...of course I'm not helping MF's cause but im only outlining that some artists need it more than others

vox

TRIBE Member
i dunno how right i am...but i'm sure people like mf doom and most underground hip hop artists rely on the word of mouth that has existed in the scene (much like in the electronic music scene) of tapes getting passed around and dubbed and the sound getting distributed that way.

without mixtapes and dubbing of mixtapes...jungle wouldn't have spread the way it did.

also...smaller artists get next to nothing from cd sales (most artists don't).

the industry did this to themselves. they jacked up the price for cds when all you get is one or two singles...to a point where people didn't want to pay.

the fact of the matter is...no one OWES a musician a living. technology is going to move on...and society is going to adapt it as they see fit.

you can cry and complain all you want. i for one will always buy cds (mostly cuz i don't know how to compile a playlist...haha), but you can't wig out because technology is moving ahead of you.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
good point vox...actually I think operation doomsday from MF sold mostly on word of mouth...it really didn't get ANY play when released

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vox

without mixtapes and dubbing of mixtapes...jungle wouldn't have spread the way it did.

YES!

Now how many "legit" DnB albums are there available in retail outlets?

Sets are usually better anyways, IMO.

It takes the record companies too long to recognize new genres, if they would quit wasting their time marketing pop music, maybe things like Soulseek wouldn't be as busy.

A lot of the RIAA/Downloading is evil shit is partly because the internet does eliminate the need for a middle man to distribute the music.

No more record companies with large pressing plants, and holding artists to contracts that favor the label over the artist. Instead the consumer can burn the cd themselves.

Smaller artists are going to get a brunt of it, if they don't figure out ways of marketing and getting people to buy their music in another fashion. The innovators are the ones that are trying to use the internet as a marketing tool and a means of getting paid, which is what the recording industry seems to be resisting, since they know this is going to cause them to lose a lot of bargaining ground when it comes to artists. A lot of the bigger artists are upset because they've now become very imbedded in that system and are going to have to start all over again.

I see this being no different than the industrial revolution, where everyone was lamenting the loss of human labour when the conveyor belt and mass production occurred, things changed and the people that changed with it, benefitted from it most and best.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I love reading certain people's directory names. I get a good laugh out of them:

one person who I DL'd off of:

C:\Soulseek\SharedFiles\Music\trance\prodigy\blahblah

prodigy's trance???

:p

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vox
i dunno how right i am...but i'm sure people like mf doom and most underground hip hop artists rely on the word of mouth that has existed in the scene (much like in the electronic music scene) of tapes getting passed around and dubbed and the sound getting distributed that way.

also...smaller artists get next to nothing from cd sales (most artists don't).

the industry did this to themselves. they jacked up the price for cds when all you get is one or two singles...to a point where people didn't want to pay.

the fact of the matter is...no one OWES a musician a living. technology is going to move on...and society is going to adapt it as they see fit.

you can cry and complain all you want. i for one will always buy cds (mostly cuz i don't know how to compile a playlist...haha), but you can't wig out because technology is moving ahead of you.

good points.

most income is made from concerts and touring too.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
morality.jpg