• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

"Sooooo...tell me a little bit about yourself."

squirrely

TRIBE Member
isn't this the *best* interview question?

it's like, ummmmmm ok.....so it all started back in 1979.........

can anyone think of a better way to answer ridiculously general questions in high-pressure situations?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

echootje

TRIBE Member
talk about:

Your Education and why you did it
Your past job experience
Your job/future goals
How company X can help you achieve them

Rob

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
The best answer I ever gave was that I was a perfectionist and I was never satisfied with my own work.

The person conducting the interview was dumbfounded and said he'd never heard that before.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
Answer for you:

"I can shoot ping pong balls from my vagina across this room and hit a bullseye dead centre if you lay out a target for me"

Winnar!

this is the answer i used.
and i am pretty sure it's why i got the job.
the fact that i brought my own target didn't hurt, i'm sure.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
and how you can help company x acheive their goals, how you think your expereice would benefit them. don't just go in saying that you're aplying for the job, let them know that you want more out of it that to be stuck in that position. If you let then know that you want more out of being employed by them and in return you'll work your ass off to show then usually you'll get hired.

But going in and being unsure of yourself and what you want is a good way not to get a job.

Funzo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
talk about:

How company X can help you achieve them

Do NOT say this! Tell them what you can offer the company. We just did an interview/resume workshop at school last night. This former HR lady from Q.T.G.-Pepsi said anyone who said stuff like that in their first interview, wouldn't make the second cut! Once you've made it through the first wave you can start talking about your future goals, and how you're going to achieve them

squirrely

TRIBE Member
but seriously..it's SUCH a general question, and it always seems to be the question that interviewers lead with. you then gotta avoid the temptation to just immediately lay all your cards on the table, and give it all away in the first minute.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
my name is squirrely robin. i used to write my name squirrel-E so that everyone would know that i like drugs.

i used to hang out with my friend, will, but now i'm too busy.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Funzo
Do NOT say this! Tell them what you can offer the company. We just did an interview/resume workshop at school last night. This former HR lady from Q.T.G.-Pepsi said anyone who said stuff like that in their first interview, wouldn't make the second cut! Once you've made it through the first wave you can start talking about your future goals, and how you're going to achieve them

she's right.

out of curiosity who was the speaker

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
my name is squirrely robin. i used to write my name squirrel-E so that everyone would know that i like drugs.

i used to hang out with my friend, will, but now i'm too busy.

i use this answer *right before* the part about shooting ping pong balls from my vagina. i feel that it helps the interview build to a natural and fulfilling climax.

deep

TRIBE Member
personally, I'd crack a joke then say a few things off the cuff about how I like to spend my time and how that relates to what I want to achieve

it'd be more credible than canning a response ahead of time...

kmac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
but seriously..it's SUCH a general question, and it always seems to be the question that interviewers lead with. you then gotta avoid the temptation to just immediately lay all your cards on the table, and give it all away in the first minute.

Agreed. It's a weak question and it always catches me off guard. I always end up saying something like "What would you like to know" and I probably end up sounding like a snot.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Funzo
Lisa ??, damnit I've forgotten her last name already

I can find out in a bit though

ya it would be really interesting to find out....I think I might know who you are talking about, but I can't remember the name either.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
okay, this is cheezy, and it might not actually be the right way to answer it, but this is how i answer the question:
i sorta tell the liz story... as in, i draw a narrative arc, using my school and work experience and any relevant hobbies to give them an overview of where i've been and where i am right now.

this question is usually at the beginning of the interview so youre not rehashing alot of stuff already.
its sorta a way for me to tie all my resume content together into the 'big picture' of who i am.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
haha, i hereby give squirrely the right to pretend to be me while undergoing an interview.
the only catch is that i get 40% of her paycheque.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
haha, i hereby give squirrely the right to pretend to be me while undergoing an interview.
the only catch is that i get 40% of her paycheque.

since i am currently working on some unpaid intern gigs, feel free to collect the full 100%

;)

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Find out what THEY like and talk about that.

If they've got pictures all over their office from far away places, tell them your travel stories. (except maybe the one about the hookers in Thailand)

If they've got football trophies then tell them how much you like sports.

Look at what they're wearing, what's in their office, anything you can (maybe if you know somebody in the company you can find some info out beforehand) to find out something about them- and cater to their interests.

How can somebody so much like them NOT be perfect for the job?

Good luck!