• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Soooo... How you can tell "Faux news" is in bed with the White House...

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Sources: Snow takes White House job

Fox News anchor will replace McClellan as press secretary

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Fox News' Tony Snow is set to move from the anchor chair to the hot seat, agreeing to take on the role of White House press secretary amid slumping poll ratings for President Bush.

The appointment of Snow, who has formally accepted the job, will be announced Wednesday morning, according to three Republican sources familiar with Snow's discussions with the White House.

He will replace Scott McClellan, who announced last week he would step down from the post during a West Wing makeover by new White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten.

Snow, 50, serves as a weekend news anchor and political analyst for the Fox News Channel, which he joined in 1996. He also hosts the Tony Snow Show on Fox News Radio.

The three Republican sources told CNN that before agreeing to take on the post, Snow had sought and received assurances from Bolten and other senior White House officials that he would be an active participant in major policy debates and would have a significant say in hiring in the press and communications operations.

Snow also had lunch with Bush to discuss his role, two of those sources told CNN.

The White House approached Snow several weeks ago about the job, and sources familiar with his deliberations said he had been focusing on family, financial and health issues in making a decision.

Snow was diagnosed with colon cancer in February 2005 and had been awaiting medical clearance before making a final decision.

The three GOP sources said that over the past week, he discussed the post with an array of senior administration officials, as well as aides in past GOP administrations and Republicans close to the White House.

As one source put it, Snow wanted to "address some of his questions and build a comfort level" before giving Bolten a final decision.

This will be Snow's second stint at the White House, where he was director of speech writing during the administration of Bush's father, former President George H.W. Bush.

He was a nationally syndicated columnist with The Detroit News in Detroit, Michigan, from 1993 to 2001 and was a columnist for USA Today from 1994 to 2000.

Before that, he was an editorial writer at The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk, Virginia; editorial page editor of The Daily Press in Newport News, Virginia; deputy editorial page editor of The Detroit News; and editorial page editor of The Washington Times.

McClellan took over the position in July 2003 after his predecessor Ari Fleischer resigned. McClellan served as deputy press secretary under Fleischer.

CNN's John King and Suzanne Malveaux contributed to this report.

Find this article at:
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/25/snow/index.html

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I don't see the big deal, really.

We appoint CBC reporters to be Governor General of Canada, so let the Americans appoint a Fox News commentator to be White House Press Secretary.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
I don't see the big deal, really.

We appoint CBC reporters to be Governor General of Canada, so let the Americans appoint a Fox News commentator to be White House Press Secretary.

The point is that it is consistent with many people's beliefs about the bias (and arrogance) of the American administration. I'm not really sure how whether or not it's a "big deal" is relevant.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
When I saw this on TV last night, I had huge a knowing smile on my face. The appointment made perfect sense, like a scene in a movie where you go "hahaaaaa, of course!" It really is comedic, if you think about it. A Fox news big-shot becoming the voice of the American administration. Fox News should spawn a subsidiary called Fox Public Relations, and the White House should just outsource the communications department to them...that would be classic for this White House. And they'd sell it by saying "Look, America...we just want the news to be free okay! So we're entrusting it to an organization known for being 'fair and balanced'. Look, they report, you decide. That's all we're sayin' here!"

<Long and hostile stream of invectives>

Lurker

TRIBE Member
lol @ Sellycat

That's awesome

I'm honestly surprised anyone would want to be a voice for this administration. You'd have to be some kind of masochist.

Bill O'Reilly would have been great. Arguing and yelling at the press corps.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I'm glad at least this administration and the network for that matter is doing away with the veneer of impartiality they implicitly claimed for so long. So comedic it's not even worth mentioning especially since I'd rather wait for the well paid and talented Daily Show writers to entertain me with it.

I actually really came here to speculate about when AdRiaN was gonna drop in and downplay the significance of this.. but I guess I shit the bed on that initiative.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
He's not an all out Bush praiser. Especially when compared to his compadres at Fox news. He was critical of Bush on the Dubai Ports issue (the handling of it) and savaged him on the Katrina / FEMA issue. He's also fairly vocal on Fox news about the spiralling deficit. So he's not near someone like Sean Hannity or Alan Colmes on the ra/ra/ra scale. And would probably be considered a more moderate voice on Fox News if such a thing exists.

However, he proved that he does have the "Fox News" stuff when in 2003 he said, "Racism is no longer that big a deal in America"

And plus, how hard is it to say:

1) "We cannot comment on an on-going investigation"

2) "We cannot comment on issues that may pertain to national security"

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
Bill O'Reilly would have been great. Arguing and yelling at the press corps.

Bill O'Reilly is an avowed independent dontcha know!

Dont believe me? Ask him yourself!

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Gizmo said:
And would probably be considered a more moderate voice on Fox News if such a thing exists.
And if there's any way to bring a Fox moderate voice into the fold, I think making him a Bush lapdog would be an easy way to do it.

Personally, I don't give a shit where this guys stands on the US deficit, or on the fart I just blew. He's a pundit. A year from now when he pulls a Fleischer no one will care about his xenophobic views on Dubai. I'm more interested in the increasing interdependency between government and the media of which this is a brazen example. But just as the revolving door between Washington and the energy industry, or the Pentagon and the defense industry goes overlooked, I'm sure this will eventually be considered par for the course.

ATTN ALL MEDIA: Jobs at the Whitehouse are now allowed to be on your career agendas!

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
no one will care about his xenophobic views on Dubai.

As you mentioned not that you give a shit but he was pro the Dubai Ports deal. He was against the subsequent flip flopping that occured afterwards.

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
Apparently on Air Force One, a washington post reporter was told that he could not watch CNN - only Fox news was permitted (until he raised a big stink with mclellan)

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Big Harv said:
Apparently on Air Force One, a washington post reporter was told that he could not watch CNN - only Fox news was permitted (until he raised a big stink with mclellan)
White House scribe asks for the remote
Reporter asks to watch CNN on Air Force One

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- It wasn't the price of gasoline, Darfur or the rebuilding effort in New Orleans that preoccupied the White House press corps Thursday aboard a flight on Air Force One.

It was what channel they could watch on the White House televisions, Fox or CNN.

During a briefing led by White House spokesman Scott McClellan as President Bush was traveling to New Orleans, Louisiana, the Washington Post's Jim VandeHei asked why the White House televisions always seemed to be tuned to Fox News and if it was possible to have them tuned instead to CNN.

"It's come to my attention that there's been requests -- this is a serious question -- to turn these TVs onto a station other than Fox, and that those have been denied," VandeHei told McClellan, who is soon to be replaced by former Fox anchor and self-described conservative Tony Snow.

"My question would be, is there a White House policy that all government TVs have to be tuned to Fox?" VandeHei asked.

"Never heard of any such thing," McClellan responded. "My TVs are on four different channels at all times."

VandeHei noted that McClellan has four televisions in his office, and clarified that he was referring to the ones that reporters can see.

"They're always turned to Fox, which a lot of people consider a Republican-leaning network."

VandeHei noted that the televisions are paid for with taxpayer dollars.

"And my understanding is that you guys have to watch Fox on Air Force One. Is that true?"

McClellan said it was the first he had heard such a claim, and that it was not true.

"In fact, I've watched other channels on here," he said.

"I've never known anyone that's raised a complaint about a request from back here to watch a different channel," McClellan added.

VandeHei replied, "I'm officially raising it, and officially complaining about it."

McClellan then asked whether VandeHei had tried to have the change made.

"I was told -- the quote was, 'No,' when I asked for CNN," the reporter said.

McClellan asked him with whom he had spoken, but VandeHei said he did not know.

"Well, the magic people at the other end of the phone ... I was told, 'We don't watch CNN here, you can only watch Fox,' " VandeHei said.

McClellan said he found the question "quite amusing," and left to see about making the change.

Eighteen minutes after VandeHei raised the issue, McClellan had resolved it.

"We just called up. They're going to be changing it, at your all's request, to the channel that you requested, which is CNN -- from the press corps."

Fox News is popular with at least one highly placed person in the White House. According to the Web site "The Smoking Gun," whenever Vice President Dick Cheney stays in a hotel room, he requests extra lights, copies of five newspapers and the television tuned to Fox. (Full story)

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/27/whitehouse.fox/index.html

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
On the Colbert Report last night, the headline was "Snow: Informer".... props to the Canadian writers for sneaking it in.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Dee Dee Myers, former press secretary for President Clinton during the first two years of his term, worked as a political commentator on CNBC after leaving the position. She now works at MSNBC.

Again, why the big shock that media types with a certain political leaning would be cozy with networks and presidential administrations who share the same leanings?

This is a non-issue.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
Dee Dee Myers, former press secretary for President Clinton during the first two years of his term, worked as a political commentator on CNBC after leaving the position. She now works at MSNBC.

Again, why the big shock that media types with a certain political leaning would be cozy with networks and presidential administrations who share the same leanings?

This is a non-issue.
It's a big issue because it's FOX NEWS...they're far and away the most propagandistic news source you can find anywhere in the West.

They are liars....like in the worst way--you could devote an entire thread to their sickening sophistry