• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sony unveils 45 hour mini-disc

labRat

TRIBE Member
has sony ever learned from their previous mistakes with MD?

it's a great system and all, but when you keep the media proprietory it ain't gonna fly.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by labRat
has sony ever learned from their previous mistakes with MD?

it's a great system and all, but when you keep the media proprietory it ain't gonna fly.
and itunes?

labRat

TRIBE Member
itunes has to support DMR or else the labels will not use them for online music distribution.

therefore, in a sense, it has to be self contained.

it uses standard mp3 and aac codecs. and now multiple platforms.

HP and Apple are working on licensing deal to create another iPod (more specifically for windows) and it will support wma. so the end result is a greater opportunity for all.

Sony chooses, time and time again (Beta, MD, MemoryStick, HiMD), to not license their media to anyone else. and this is a good reason why their technology (which is usually very good) never takes off.

the walkman would not have been as successful had they chosen to use something like the MD in the first place.

Karim

TRIBE Member
if you take a note with minidisc hower, you can see that SONY is not the only manufacturer of players/recorders. They have sold the rights to various companies (Panasonic, Aiwa, Sharp, Kenwood, etc. for players, and TDK, Maxell, HiSpace for media). Minidisc is WILDLY popular in Japan.

What's amazing is that if I wanna add 45 hours of music to my collection, it'll only cost me $6.50. Limitless expansion that an IPOD can't provide. The real question now is how quickly can we transfer files onto the new HiMD. If quickly, I'm sold.

:)
Karim

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories