• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sony PS3 - Pricing

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
A smoking $549 for the severely crippled base version and 20G hard drive.
A hot $659 for the full version and 60G drive.

That's a lot of cash for a gaming machine. It's expected given the blue-ray drive and such, but still...

Too hot to handle for many a gamer IMHO.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I wouldn't exactly call it 'severely crippled'. If that's 'severely crippled', then I guess you could pretty much call the base model 360 "Terry Fox".

freshest1

TRIBE Member
the thing i hate most is that they are sticking with the old controller concept. although this is better than the boomerang concept which was just stupid, the lay out for the ps2 control sucks- specifically the analog controls. The analog sticks get worn down and slippery at the worst times. Moreover, the placement of them sucks too, having to reach over the d-pad and buttons to use them. I am looking most forward to the revolution.

Anakin

TRIBE Member
Well. If the Blue-Ray players stay at $1,000 or close to the PS3 price point, once again, the decision may simply be, do I want a player or do I want a player and a game console.

The PS3 could do for blue-ray what the PS2 did for DVDs. I know a number of friends who's first DVD player was a PS2.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vinder

TRIBE Member
freshest1 said:
Moreover, the placement of them sucks too, having to reach over the d-pad and buttons to use them. I am looking most forward to the revolution.
how are you holding it such that your thumb has to reach over the d-pad to use the analog controller?

d.code

TRIBE Member
im still going to get one.

Not for the japanese rpgs.

But for the metal gear games, gta and the really strange import games that I will be hunting down.
The real fun will be on the Wii.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
d.code said:
The real fun will be on the Wii.

I agree. I think nintendo is well poised to take over the "gaming" market this time.

The 360 and PS3 are powerful consoles but they don't offer anything new. Without the HDMI interface on the base model the PS3 is just a regular old DVD player. It doesn't matter that it's got a blue-ray in it, it won't display anything more that 480p. If that's not crippling something I don't know what is?

The 360 and PS3 got carreid away with the hardware race. All well and good, but ahead of the TV ownership curve. A good portion of people will plug in these consoles and see nothing different compared with previous generations.

I think Nintendo realized this and didn't try to push the issue. They'll give the masses new fun games and new ways to play them. At prices that parents and gamers can afford.

freshest1

TRIBE Member
vinder said:
how are you holding it such that your thumb has to reach over the d-pad to use the analog controller?

because the analog sticks are in the middle of the controller, one has to reach further then if the analog stick was where the d-pad was. its a bad set up, it's essentially a super nes joystick with analog sticks attached to it. Personally I liked the Nintendo 64 joystick better for most games.

octo

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
The 360 and PS3 are powerful consoles but they don't offer anything new. Without the HDMI interface on the base model the PS3 is just a regular old DVD player. It doesn't matter that it's got a blue-ray in it, it won't display anything more that 480p. If that's not crippling something I don't know what is?

actually the PS3 WILL be capable of outputing 720p or 1080i via it's analogue outputs. If/When the movie studios start shipping Blu-Ray movies with ICT flags encoded on the discs then the PS3 will downconvert the content to 540p. In japan it is illegal for HD or BluRay players to downconvert content for another 5 years. This is so consumers don't get screwed cause their TVs don't have HDMI inputs.

Considering less than 20% of Americans have HD televisions and of that 20% there are a whole bunch who don't have the ability to handle content with ICT (i.e they don't have HDCP compliant HDMI or DVI ports), it would severely slow consumer acceptance/market penetration of the new high def formats if studios started releasing high def movies that most of the population couldn't enjoy.

Of course one of the big reasons most studios are backing blu ray is because of the tighter anti-piracy controls so eventually high def movies will be copy protected. I doubt that'll happen within the next 3 years, and at that point Blu-Ray players will be cheap enought that the PS3 won't be most people's primary movie watching source.

so... i don't think buying a PS3 without HDMI is a dumb idea but i do think for an extra $100 it's worth it (wifi, card reader, bigger hard drive and HDMI). HDMI has serious issues right now but sony says the PS3 will ship with the next HDMI standard which should sort out all the glitches, also HDMI is not just for video, it is necessary for the new high resolution audio tracks on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (and PS3 games). A standard optical digital output does not have the bandwith to carry the new Dolby Digtal+, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD audio.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
freshest1 said:
the thing i hate most is that they are sticking with the old controller concept. although this is better than the boomerang concept which was just stupid, the lay out for the ps2 control sucks- specifically the analog controls. The analog sticks get worn down and slippery at the worst times. Moreover, the placement of them sucks too, having to reach over the d-pad and buttons to use them. I am looking most forward to the revolution.
crazy talk...

the PS2 controller is the greatest controller of all time.
its the most parallel (buttons in perfect relation with eachother on the right, triggers both easily accesable) and since the d-pad and the analog controller are so close you can use both without readjusting your hand (which some games require).

I cant stand the xbox controller because the buttons are so slanty in relation to each other.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
octo said:
actually the PS3 WILL be capable of outputing 720p or 1080i via it's analogue outputs.

Agreed. I'd overlooked the fact that regular component cables are capable of this.

In any case, you raise the prime issue. Only about 20% of the public owns an HD tv that is capable of really taking advantage of the hardware and resolutions these consoles can dish out. To really see a difference between the PS2 and PS3 users are going to have to upgrade their TV's.

I agree there has to be a push for innovation and progress. I'm just not sure a $600 game unit is going to make people think "yup... time to upgrade the TV... best go out and spend a few grand so I can play that new game".

Now... maybe these companies are going after the upper niche markets. Which is fine. But 2 major brands gunning for less than 20% of the public while the 3rd brand takes a run at 100% of the public. Well...

Like the PS2 did for DVD's this may drive people towards blu-ray and HD. But I don't see it happening the same way. The upgrades necessary are still beyond most peoples means. DVD's didn't require an upgrade to see a major difference.

Anakin

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
Without the HDMI interface on the base model the PS3 is just a regular old DVD player. It doesn't matter that it's got a blue-ray in it, it won't display anything more that 480p.

You don't need HDMI to display above 480p. You do need component video, which the PS3, 360 and most other current HD devices support.

Granted HDMI or DVI provide a digital signal, over the component videos analog.

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
They priced themselves right out of my living room. Way to shit the bed Sony. Well, I say that but I'm sure they'll be selling out & ebaying for a grand before Christmas anyway.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
freshest1 said:
because the analog sticks are in the middle of the controller, one has to reach further then if the analog stick was where the d-pad was. its a bad set up, it's essentially a super nes joystick with analog sticks attached to it. Personally I liked the Nintendo 64 joystick better for most games.

I still don't understand.

You're supposed to use the thumbsticks with your thumb. There's no reaching involved.