1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Sony Ericsson Readying an Android 3.0 PlayStation Phone?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glych t.anomaly, Aug 11, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

HOLY SHIT !

Engadget's reporting that Sony Ericsson, who hasn't been quickest on the draw with Android devices, is in the "late stages of planning" for an Android 3.0 smartphone with sliding gaming controls and an accompanying gaming platform.

Android fans, listen up. Gamers, listen up. Android fans who are gamers, really listen up. Engadget hears from a "trusted source" that Sony Ericsson is working a device that's being described as "a cross between the Samsung Captivate and the PSP Go," bringing real deal 3D gaming on an Android device. Wha?

According to their source, it'll potentially sport a 1GHz Snapdragon processor and a screen sizing between 3.7" and 4.1." The real business—a D-pad and a "long touch pad" in place of a joystick—slides out in place of a keyboard. The device currently bears Xperia branding but could also be part of the PlayStation family when it lands, possibly as soon as October, though that seems awfully ambitious.

The handset is said to run a skinned version Gingerbread (Android 3.0), and its games, which supposedly will include favorites like God of War and Modern Warfare, older PSX titles, and new ones that incorporate augmented reality game play, will be graphically akin to PSX and PSP games. Depending on what particular kind of button mashing they require, titles could be available to other Android devices.

It definitely seems as though Google's becoming increasingly interested in the gaming. Add that to the fact that the PSP Phone has been an elusive object of gamer yearning since time immemorial, and it seems like these rumors could actually bear out. You should probably start doing your thumb exercises now, just in case.

* makes grabby hands *

YES PLEASE !

fuck this would be sick, TRUE gaming on a phone, running Android.

[jai]

2. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

If that phone is true...it will make me switch to Android from iPhone.

3. glych t.anomaly

[​IMG]

Exclusive: Sony Ericsson to introduce Android 3.0 gaming platform and PSP Go-like smartphone -- Engadget

There's no question that gaming on the Android platform has heretofore been relatively underwhelming, but that looks like it's all about to change. It seems that Sony Ericsson -- a company that has yet to even introduce an Android 2.0 device -- is at work on a project to redefine gaming on Google's mobile platform. We now know (via a trusted source) that the company is actively and heavily developing a brand new gaming platform, ecosystem, and device (possibly alongside Google) which are already in the late stages of planning. And we've got the goods on it.

Here's what we can tell you about the hardware: if you're a gaming fan, this is exactly the kind of phone you've been waiting for. The device is described as cross between the Samsung Captivate and the PSP Go -- in other words, it's a landscape slider with game controls in place of the typical QWERTY keyboard. The D-pad is here, but instead of the small joystick, the device will have what was described as a "long touch pad" for analog controls, along with standard PSP buttons and shoulder buttons. The phone has a large display, described as being between 3.7 and 4.1 inches with WVGA or better resolution, a 5 megapixel camera that we're told might not be final, and it'll likely have a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU on board. The phone is mostly black with some silver highlights, and the gamepad area is white / silver in color. Apparently it's currently branded as a Xperia device, but it looks like it will carry PlayStation branding as well. Those who've seen the phone say it looks "pretty damn sexy." The mockup above probably doesn't do the actual hardware justice, but it should give you an idea of what you'll be dealing with.

On the software side, it looks like the device will be running Gingerbread (Android 3.0) with a phone-specific skin, and there will be a new area of the Android Market specifically for the games. That content will be initially accessible only by the halo device, but from the sounds of things, these titles might be made available to other Android phones if their specs and button layouts meet requirements. Games will be graphically in the range of PSX or PSP games, meaning true 3D gaming is headed to Android. Titles currently being shown off seem to be focused around some older PSX as well as new PSP offerings, with God of War, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and LittleBigPlanet possibly on tap, and future plans for titles which incorporate augmented reality features.

In terms of release, it's possible that the phone and ecosystem could be introduced as early as October of this year, but we have yet to confirm.

Right now we're working on getting even more detail about the phone and partnership, but we can tell you now that this is not a random rumor -- we have reason to believe that what we've heard and seen is real and coming to market. It makes perfect sense in a way -- Google gets a much-needed push into the gaming and entertainment space for Android, while Sony (via its partnership with Ericsson) finally delivers the PlayStation phone users have been wanting. We see it as a major win for both companies and the consumer... and we always need another distraction. Stay tuned to this space for updates as we get them, and in the meantime, start socking away the pennies.

another possible rendering. and more detailed info !

[jai]

4. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I wonder how the market would like this, besides gamer/fanboys. I have little interest in it, as I'm sure most BB users would too. I'd rather a slide out keyboard. I rarely use my iphone for gaming.

Hmmm

5. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

If the phone is good I would make the jump as well because you can't go wrong with GOW on the go.

6. glych t.anomaly

the pure and simple fact that you wouldnt be touching the screen, you arent trying to look past your thumbs, and how this would translate to Emulators is just amazing.

and i personally cant stand hard button QWERTY sliders, i <3 typing on the touch screen, so if the Dpad and buttons double as navigation and selection buttons etc, awesome again !!!!

of course this needs a removable power supply, to swap batteries, and as well, it would most certainly be interesting to see storage solutions, and how many games you can have on said storage along with your other data etc.

Dual Micro SD card slots maybe?

[jai]

7. glych t.anomaly

8. glych t.anomaly

[​IMG]

The PlayStation Phone -- Engadget

It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform. The device snapped up top (and in our gallery below) is sporting a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster), 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and the screen is in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches. Looking almost identical to the mockup we hit you with this summer, the handset does indeed have a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, and you can see in the photos that it's still bearing those familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. For Sony buffs, you'll be interested to know that there's no Memory Stick slot here, but there is support for microSD cards.

The particular model in these shots is still in prototyping mode. As such, the unit doesn't have a custom skin (not even SE's Timescape design seen on the Xperia devices), and is said to be rather buggy. We're digging into more facts as we speak, but it's likely that much of what we reported earlier is still accurate, and though the device could still be headed for a 2010 release, 2011 is looking much more realistic. Still, there's a lot of time between now and the holidays... so keep your fingers crossed!

* FISTPUMPS *

[jai]

9. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

want

10. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I wonder what kind of game library they are going to have?

11. glych t.anomaly

Sony Ericsson CEO suggests February reveal, perhaps the PlayStation Phone? -- Engadget

Plausible deniability seems to be Sony's strategy when it comes to the PlayStation Phone, and that apparently goes for Sony Ericsson as well -- once again, without actually confirming the existence of the Android-based gaming handset, its manufacturer is hinting strongly at an impending reveal. "There's a lot of smoke, and I tell you there must be a fire somewhere," CEO Bert Nordberg told the Wall Street Journal, adding that some sort of new Sony Ericsson product will be unveiled at Mobile World Congress this February. While that particular item could easily be the 4.3-inch Anzu slate rather than a PlayStation slider phone, the chief executive didn't seem to shy away from video games in a series of additional quotes. "I haven't dug into that history, but the future might be brighter," he said when asked why the company didn't make a PlayStation Phone years ago, and later suggested that gaming might be the ticket to help SE diversify its offerings. "Sony is of course a very strong brand, and why shouldn't we use that?" he asked the Journal. We can't think of a single compelling reason, Mr. Nordberg. Bring on the games.

maybe February !!!

[jai]

12. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

now that's what I call product intergortion.

13. glych t.anomaly

[​IMG]

It's quite fitting for a device that's purportedly codenamed Zeus to make its first video appearance somewhere in the wilds of Greece. What we have here is the apparent full motion debut of Sony Ericsson's big crossover device, the PlayStation Phone, one half portable gaming console, one half Android smartphone. Unfortunately, we never see it flexing out its slider to reveal that delicious control pad, but judging from its curves and little design details, it does indeed look to be the real deal. Techblog.gr reports that it's dubbed the Sony Ericsson Z1 and comes with Gingerbread on board -- something that meshes well with earlier indications that some Zeus devices in the wild are already running Android 2.3 (and above) -- while the screen is a 4-inch panel that apparently offers great touchscreen responsiveness. See the mythical creature for yourself after the break.

[YOUTUBE]zPvoIElolBU[/YOUTUBE]

PlayStation Phone espied in Greece, said to have Gingerbread and 4-inch screen (video) -- Engadget

[jai]

14. glych t.anomaly

[YOUTUBE]O6cxaVRs60w[/YOUTUBE]

fuck yes do i want one of these.

[jai]

15. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I can't fucking wait. This will be a dream for me. My PSP is getting worn out and I have never owned a cell phone.

My work will be happy when I tell them I'm getting a new PSP Phone!

drool

16. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I might have to give up my Iphone for this device... I hope it turns out to be a good phone.