1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Sonny fodera

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by FreaknBigPanda, Mar 14, 2010.

1. FreaknBigPanda

FreaknBigPanda TRIBE Member

was siiicck :D Had a really good time at this party, probably one of the best in like a year easy 4 me. Fucking good job bounce! Keep it up!

Sonny started off with his signature style, tracks like everybody on the decks, games, winter nights, etc. Later in the night he switched over to some tech house (which is *exactly* what i needed at that point) then went back to funky, and switched it up a bit.

Unrelated note: I absolutely loved what he was doing with the cue button, dont kno if u guys noticed that but he was drumming it perfectly. sounded sick. Amazing talent.

WOOO! Hope sonny comes back some time. BOOK HIM AGAIN!

2. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

really nice price on the drizzink tickets......
    too bad i found 4/5 in my wallet 10 minutes ago :(

so one beer for twenny isn't too bad.
    I support! lol

sweaty mess, jammin in the back corner.

lil too generic/bumpin' for my 'hater by nature' tastes...but some of those basslines keeled it!

blap

3. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

really, really good jam. more later. I need some sleep.

4. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Good party - lots of fun
    Agree with Destro - some of it was too, what I would call "caucasian" sometimes, but we managed to have a good time :p

5. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

funny how black sounds become white over time :)

so nice to see you! it's been a minute.

i thought this party was executed really well. mat started things out with solid beats and hodges did what he always does - threw down a consistent set of what we need to hear.

sonny played the funk that people came out to hear. i was impressed to see he's not only a good producer but also has a great stage presence too. cheers to mike on a good closer.

even though the weather was really crappy, it was great to see everyone come out in full force. i think sonny had a wicked time here and i'm sure he'll be back one day. this was a great welcome to a young cat who hasn't played outside his home country before.

6. Re: Shoe

Re: Shoe TRIBE Member

Does you mean that too many white people were involved in the production of the music, or too many white people enjoy that kind of music?

Good party! Authentic house tunes, exactly as advertised. Kudos to the promoters. Big thanks to the dudes in the crowd for passing the dutchie to my friend and I; that really hit the spot.

The location and vibe sure brought back some old memories, but it was sure a nice change to have a beverage station in the back corner instead of a cuddle puddle.

Here's hoping that Bounce / Preacherman recorded and can post Sonny's set!

7. gl*tch

gl*tch TRIBE Member

I had a blast: great vibe and sweet bouncy tech house!
    Thanks to Preacherman, the Bounce crew and the event staff for an awesome night! The venue was ideal and I can't wait till the next one.

8. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

for me, it's a bit of column A and a bit of column B.
    ;)

9. mariazmess

mariazmess TRIBE Member

this peese thx

10. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Yes. I think for me as soon as the word "tech" is added in front of house, I start to lose a bit of interest. I like my house pretty deep and my tech techno; the bit of this bit of that doesn't do it for me as much.

11. mariazmess

mariazmess TRIBE Member

tech can be funky.
    to call it "caucasian" is to say it lacked funk.
    i hope this was this case. if not, shame on you.

12. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Salut maman maria! :)
    For me that is not funky; kinda bouncy, yes, but not funky - lacks pigment ;)

13. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

There was about an hour where anything sounded like tech-house to me; the rest of the time from Mat's set onward I would call just straight up house and Chicago house.

Anyway, regardless of genre hair-splitting, I had a great night! Reminded me a bit of 99 Sudbury, in that the drinks were strong, the music was great, and the vibe was very enthusiastic.

I'm pretty sure they did record the set (and maybe all the sets?), so never fear Maria...it'll be like you were there!

14. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

To me, funky means it makes you want to wiggle your hips, shake your bum, and get down.

I don't equate being funky or sounding funky with a particular "race", but what do I know.

15. mariazmess

mariazmess TRIBE Member

to each their own ma chère!!

sugar: it'll be good, but nothing can make it like i was there!!!

16. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

OK, well I can come over and act out all the funniest and sketchiest parts!

17. mixupmixup

mixupmixup TRIBE Member

I had lots of fun at this party. music and vibes were like 'werd up' :)

18. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

'caucasian' is probably the wrong word but I know what you mean Erika - this kind of music is very "computer produced" - that is, very clean sound, lots of studio tricks, cut up vocals etc.. the deep stuff you enjoy sounds more raw and natural I'm sure. both are great and have their place imo.

sugar, good call on the 99 comparison, I thought the same thing about saturday. Nice seeing lots of new faces - this party was well-promoted beyond the crew that regularly hits these parties. Hopefully that continues to grow.

Didn't really catch any DJ other than Fodera, but he was totally awesome - lots of groove to keep people moving. I'm pretty sure "Groove is in the Heart" was playing as I walked out the door - nice!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  19. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

no. to call it "caucasian" is to sound comically idiotic.

anywho, it was just one of those jams that if you only get out a couple of times a year to throw down, that was one of the parties to hit. obviously the quality of the music was reflective of the kats spinnin. everyone i heard were on point and yes, it was refreshing to hear one of the up and comming producers in the scene throw down in t dot for the first time to an although small, yet friendly and up for it crowd. i left shortly after sonny got on but what i did hear was dope, also had an opportunity to speak to him briefly beforehand and he seemed like a straight up n' down fella.

first time at that space and lemme tell ya, it was splendid not having to trek all the way downtown and keepin things out in the west end. lots of room to move, the sound was fairly decent, drinks were cheap (tickets what!!) and the ladies serving them classy. lookin forward to the next jam there as its mos def a healthy alternative to anything in the core imho.

as per usual with me, it was the crowd in front of the decks that made it was it was and i can't say enough good things when i get to roll with a metric fuckton of ex-tribers/limited posters who crawled out of the woodwork for this. a rarity if anything else. speaks volumes of the promoters who pieced a great night together and people who still have their ear to the ground for a good 'ol sweaty time stomping it out until the wee hours.

quote of the night

"Dude, the bathroom smells like my nana's house!"

20. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

great fun. it was really an old fashioned dance party. good crowd out, great spirits....they opened the doors at 11, and by 11:20 there was a dancefloor happening....you know when that happens it's gonna be a special night. i lost myself on the dancefloor multiple times through the night. everyone killed it....especially sonny. thanks to all involved for inviting me out to play, and congrats on a job well done.

21. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Thanks for explaining it better!

Wouldn't be the first time that applied to something I said :p
    And yes I like that space and yes thank you to those who put that night together - I did have lots of fun!

22. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

She's just too polite to say "caker". ;)

23. Don C

Don C TRIBE Member

Great party! Big improvement having everything in one room I thought. Lots of fun people out, and the vibe was tight. I only caught Hodges' and Sonny's sets, but everything I heard was top-notch.

Thanks Bounce and Preacherman for another fine night!

24. mixupmixup

mixupmixup TRIBE Member

I agree 100% .. things worked out much better in the other room. I wasn't huge on the space with some of the past parties I have been to there however, saturday night.. that room was poppin' off in a big way!

25. soapy

soapy TRIBE Promoter

$5 to get in, $4 drinks all night, non-stop epic house, and the best crowd around. it dosnt get better than this.
    cant wait to hear some recordings...