• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sona closing for good

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
I had fine memories of Sona. Saw Max G, Laurent G, Stacey Pullen and many others...of course Lafleche

as per an email from 514

Montreal, February 25th 2004

The Sona star fades out...

It is with great sadness that we announce the closing of Sona. After careful consideration and market analysis, the owners and directors, 514 Productions and Jet Management, have decided to put an end to the club's operation and this, as of now. The club is thus closed.

Please take note that this decision has in no way any affect on the 514 Productions activities and events.

We will all keep precious memories of Sona, a landmark that has swept thousands of clubgoers off their feet for almost 8 years. We would sincerely like to thank all our faithful clientele which has contributed to the Sona vibe and we wish all the best and much prosperity to all those who support and nourish Montreal's electronica scene.

Thank you...

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
incredible club

people lined up in a circle around the door waiting to get picked out.

we met a guy there who got us incredible pills, plus free tickets in, and it was all u can drink!

we got plastered upstairs where they were playing great prog, then dropped downstairs, in the dungy basement where they were playing hip hop

for some reason, i remember chain fencing.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Tech_Head_Rob

TRIBE Member
they should've done their analysis before they...
-re-opened the POS on the west side of town in a damned shopping mall
-argued with resident djs over salaries
-screwed over promoters, and other staff members

I do and always will love Sona. Back in the day it was world class club... but shit happens and things can't run on forever. Unfortunately they tried to hold on to the clubs prestige for too long, and what should've gone in the books as the greatest after-hours club in Montreal's history, now fizzles out in shame. Remember the lesson kids, quit while you're ahead.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

debunct

TRIBE Promoter
i saw one of oakenfold's best sets ever there...one in a million where he actually decides to whip it up a bit...and then jimmy van m the next night. sweeeeeeeeeet.

r.i.p. sona.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by funky_citrus
Shitty...I never got the chance to go, but heard wicked stories from all those who went. R.I.P Sona

~Leslie~

Same here. It's too bad it is closing before I ever got the chance to experience it.:(

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Honestly I saw this coming a mile away after the original Sona location closed (condemned building) and they re-opened in that Theatre multiplex thing. The cost for that space must have been astronomical and the fact that Sona had lost their clientelle because of the move, well really....I am surprised it lasted this long. To be honest they were stupid to open it in that location in the first place. The only good thing is that there was a 24 hr McDonalds across the street and that didn't get very many points for it either.

RhesusMonkey

TRIBE Member
The only time I've been in Montreal I went up with friends during the summer. Stayed in the McGill residences.
Went to Aria the first night, which was supposed to be our "warm up" night... left at 6am. Went to SONA the following night. Got in at midnight, drank for free until two. DJ was spinning an eight-hour set... we left at 10am... it was by far the sketchiest and most fun-filled weekend I've had. period.

:( Boo....

Tearer

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sohaness
RIP Sona!

i spent so many nights at that club in the summer of 2001.

steve.
Me too Steve, me too. I think I bumped into you at Paul Van Dyk/Max Graham one night that summer at Sona.

First time I went was in Feb. 1998 - it was the first really good club I ever experienced...

good timez

circus is lots of fun

so i dont mind

anyway if you missed going to the original sona then you already suck

its been closed for like a year now anyway

the new one was stupid

it was a medium nice club but moving a name from one location to another doesnt make it the same place

sohaness

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Tearer
Me too Steve, me too. I think I bumped into you at Paul Van Dyk/Max Graham one night that summer at Sona.
yeah i saw you couple times over der that summer...

pvd, scotty bond, maus, etc, etc...

steve.

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
what the hell?

I thought they were renovating it and had plans to open 2 or 3 new gigantic rooms???

and now they decide to close?

:(

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
I went at least 100+ times, and while I had some great times there....it was about time for this. That place at the old venue completely ran itself into the ground in terms of appearance, crowd and most of all soundsystem wise. Your ears would ring for the next couple of days.

Anyways, thanks for the memories. The closing sets from XL and Tiga (pre-electro, in his slamming house and techno days if you can believe it) are something I will remember for ever.

Last edited:

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gizmo
I went at least 100+ times, and while I had some great times there....it was about time for this. That place at the old venue completely ran itself into the ground in terms appaearance, crowd and most of all soundsystem wise. Your ears would ring for the next couple of days.

Anyways, thanks for the memories. The closing sets from XL and Tiga (pre-electro, in his slamming house and techno days if you can believe it) are something I will remember for ever.
Yup this is how I feel as well. I guess Montreal's Sona was like Toronto's Industry in a way. All good things must come to an end.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories