• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

something fishy

orchid

TRIBE Member
I've always really, really hated fish and seafood my whole life, and I've tried here and there over the last couple years to try stuff, but stilll can't really get past it. I want to though. And now I really need to find ways to get more protein in my diet, and fish would be a really healthy way to go.

I'm calling out to all you fishy tribers to post your delicious fish recipes. I don't care if the recipe is completely unhealthy, loaded with fat and calories, and smothered in cheese sauces. For now, it just has to be as yummy as possible, just to get me in the door, so to speak. I need a recipe that will make me like the taste of fish, and hopefully if I do, I can carry on from there and find healthy recipes to make.

Thanks a bunch!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
white fish tends not to be as 'fishy' tasting as other fish.
(pickerel (sp?), cod, etc.)

imo, the best way to have fish is to pan fry it.

put butter in pan, melt, add fish - skin side down. cover in butter, lemon juice, and dill. cook over medium heat until the fish is cooked almost to the top, once almost all the way cooked, flip, sear till cooked (3-5 minutes) pull off and eat. i like to add more lemon when eating. i usually serve with a bed of rice and a salad. this is kinda healthy, but i find that fish with cheese sauce is kinda weird.

this is how i do most fish, inlcuding salmon, etc.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
^yes thats how my mummy makes it for me, its yummy.

also,
fish fingers (with ketchup), chips and peas has always a personal fav!! :D

Caz

TRIBE Member
I didn't think it was possible for a human not to like buttered lobster tail. It's pretty much the crack of the sea.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
You know, I havent been a fan of fish for a long time, yes loads of cans and salmon have got me through most days.

But sadly, and its kinda funny, now that we get fresh fish it makes the world of difference in that "fish" taste and smell that Im not so much a fan of. You think this would be something that you would just know. Mongo didnt :(

The Peej

TRIBE Member
I didn't think it was possible for a human not to like buttered lobster tail. It's pretty much the crack of the sea.

I, like the threads starter, don't usually eat anything that lived underwater.

I sprinkle some Tuna on my mayonnaise... I consider heavily breaded fish sticks a suitable vessel for Tartar sauce... I've had lobster and scallops that I didn't hate at really upscale spots... I but there's always a "fishy" undertone that I can't get passed no matter how many times I give it "the ole college try".

My brain thinks seafood is poison.

And I come from a place where you can buy a McLobster Sandwich in a 24hr drive thru 3 months out of the year.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Eat sushi, no fishy taste at all. I'm a big fan of that and beer-battered cod/halibut.

But if you hate fish I would just let it be, we're depleting our oceans of fish and you can get protein in lots of other ways, like soy, hemp, quinoa etc.

mushroom

TRIBE Member
I'm not a big fan of seafood either. But I just came back from Mexico and ate a ton of it down there. Look up recipes for Mexican ceviche. It's delicious. Consists of shrimp and white fish marinated in lime juice.

Apparently there's a Mexican grocery store in Kensington Market where you should be able to grab the various condiments (chipotle sauce, habanero sauce) that go with the ceviche.

I think the key to making tasty seafood is all in how its prepared. In my opinion, seafood dishes are a bit more fickle. If they are cooked correctly using quality ingredients, you'll have a good meal. Whereas something like chicken you can be a bit more lax in preparing and it'll still turn out fine.

orchid

TRIBE Member
Do you want shellfish recipes as well?

for now, no shellfish. i'm going to start with fish, as i think there is probably more nutritional value there. ah fish. the moby dick to my ishmael. hehehe. ahem. sorry about that. :eek: BOL

thanks for the fatastic input so far, guys! keep it coming! :)

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I'm not a big fan of seafood either. But I just came back from Mexico and ate a ton of it down there. Look up recipes for Mexican ceviche. It's delicious. Consists of shrimp and white fish marinated in lime juice.

Apparently there's a Mexican grocery store in Kensington Market where you should be able to grab the various condiments (chipotle sauce, habanero sauce) that go with the ceviche.

I think the key to making tasty seafood is all in how its prepared. In my opinion, seafood dishes are a bit more fickle. If they are cooked correctly using quality ingredients, you'll have a good meal. Whereas something like chicken you can be a bit more lax in preparing and it'll still turn out fine.

i think you can get most of that stuff from regular markets as well, i don't think you have to go to a Mexican grocery store :)

and, i think seafood mostly depends on the quality of the fish you are eating. i prefer fresh fish, stuff you get from Georgian Bay/Lake Huron are going to be much fresher then fish that travels to get here.
edit - good fish should be good fish, you can't really blame it on butter, lemons, and dill!

Last edited:

mushroom

TRIBE Member
i think you can get most of that stuff from regular markets as well, i don't think you have to go to a Mexican grocery store :)

Maybe, but I was referring to the sauces. Not sure you're going to find anything all that authentic in a regular store.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
i prefer fresh fish, stuff you get from Georgian Bay/Lake Huron are going to be much fresher then fish that travels to get here.

Not necessarily. Fish that is blast frozen like Tuna can travel all over the world and be fresh when it is thawed. Why high-end Sushi restaurants can exist anywhere.

mingster

TRIBE Member
what does that mean..."the taste of fish". all fish tastes different!

i like tilapia baked, with some cajun spices on it. and a little bit of tartar sauce. tilapia is a good one cause it's meaty, and it doesn't shrink when you cook it.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Maybe, but I was referring to the sauces. Not sure you're going to find anything all that authentic in a regular store.

or you could make your own :)

Not necessarily. Fish that is blast frozen like Tuna can travel all over the world and be fresh when it is thawed. Why high-end Sushi restaurants can exist anywhere.

for sushi i suppose, i don't make sushi at home. :)

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Fishy taste = Puke

I'm the same way but I'm trying with Pickerel and I've even been known to dabble in Salmon.

I'll be following this thread with baited breath.

;)

zoo

TRIBE Member
I love seafood.

The easiest gateways would have to be ...

1. SHRIMP. Go get some deep fried shrimp. At least this will get you over the mental hurdle.
2. Specialty Sushi Rolls (ie. a "Dynamite" or "Dragon" roll). You won't taste the raw fish you're eating at all, and you will probably love it. Just close your eyes when the next table orders sashimi.
3. BBQ Lobster Tail smothered in butter. This is literally heaven on earth.

My favourite ways to cook fish (may or may not be a good idea for you to start with these directly...)

- Salmon on the barbie, in various styles (butter + herb, orange marinades, etc)
- Trout in the oven
- Fried or Baked Snapper
- Grilled Bass (yes, of the salt water variety, sigh)
- Ahi Tuna (cooked rare)

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Some recent information on fish consumption in women.

Between 20% and 30% of mainstream Canadian women of reproductive age have mercury levels high enough to damage the brain of a developing fetus, a University of Western Ontario study has found.

While developing babies won't be hurt in many cases, the findings are a concern, said Dr. Gideon Koren, Ivey Chair in Molecular Toxicology at Western's Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry.

The main source of the mercury is fish consumption, he said.

A troubling part of the study was that many of the women thought their fish consumption was within health guidelines.

Koren said guidelines, such as Health Canada's recommendation that women have only two servings of fish a week, are of little use because the mercury levels in fish can vary widely.

"They are not meaningful. We should not use numbers in science or in public health that are meaningless," he said.

The dilemma women face is that while fish consumption increases mercury levels, it is also considered an important source of omega-3 fatty acid during pregnancy.

"This is the worst case possible for public health," said Koren.

More than 100 women were tested for mercury levels, using hair samples that were analyzed at London Health Sciences Centre.

The study confirmed there was a strong correlation between the amount of fish consumed and the mercury levels in the body.

Eat freely: all salmon (farmed, wild, canned, fresh and frozen), shrimp, prawns, rainbow trout, Atlantic mackerel and sole. Eat from this list without limiting servings per week;

Eat in moderation: all types of canned tuna; fresh and frozen albacore tuna; Atlantic cod; bass or white bass; halibut; lake trout; sablefish; black cod or Atlantic black cod; or sea bass. Limit children 6 - 24 months to two servings per month and children 2 - 12 years to three servings per month. Women of child-bearing age, including those pregnant and breastfeeding, should eat no more than 2 - 4 servings per week. Women after child-bearing age and men should limit their intake to 4 - 6 servings per week. One serving is equal to 75 g or 2.5 oz. or 125 ml or 1/2 cup.

Limit: Bigeye (ahi) tuna, shark, marlin or swordfish. Children 6 - 12 months should not eat this fish. Children 2 – 12 year should eat only one serving per month. Women of child-bearing age, including those pregnant and breastfeeding, should eat no more than two servings per month. Women after child bearing age and men should limit their intake to four servings per month.

Do not eat large amounts of fish not included in these categories. Instead, eat a wide variety of fish.