• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

some quick traktor info please :)

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Looking to mess around with traktor for a while until I have enough $$ saved for CDJ's. So hopefully I can get some answers to a few questions I might have :)

-how would I set it up to use each deck in traktor to go through my external mixer? could i use my onboard sounboard for both? or do i need to buy another soundcard? Should I buy one good soundcard with multiple outputs?

I am not giving up on vinyl, i still buy it regulary, its just i cant find the other stuff on vinyl (psy). Will traktor give me what I need to learn on and prepare me for CDJ's? I have been buying CD's like crazy and itching to mix them!!

Any help would be great.

Please dont turn this into a vinyl vs. thread. :)

Jay

P.S would someone like to take an hour or two out of their time and show me how to get started.. i can bring a case of beer.. WORD!
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Go out and get a SoundBlaster Live! external USB, they're about $50 ish. That has 4 outs. Through traktor, 2 can get assigned to headphones and the other two can get assigned to output. Or you can set each deck to use two output channels.

As far as showing you the ropes, can't help you there man. But it's pretty straight forward.
 

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
thanks for the info.. just to clarify a couple things..

if a deck is using two output channels from the soundcard would it be a left and right? So that would go into channel one on my mixer , and the other 2 outputs for deck 2, and that would obviously go into another channel on my mixer. correct?

Jay
 

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I have an M-audio audiofile card and have used that the way you have requested

someone had a delta for sale in the buy and sell,

check it
 

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
I have an M-audio audiofile card and have used that the way you have requested

someone had a delta for sale in the buy and sell,

check it

meaning multiple outputs? I will check out the buy and sell.

Kyfe, is traktor hard to setup? each deck to a channel on my mixer (djm-600)?

Thanks :)

Jay
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
traktor is used by final scratch so if you ever want to go down that road, you'll be prepared. i've only ever used traktor as a substitute for a cdj hooked up to one channel on the mixer. just setup hotkeys for pitch and pull/nudge and you're set!

Takes a bit of getting used to but I can ride long mixes with it.
 

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
pretty sure you can set it up so it sends mono to 2 channels.

so you can connect the left channel to one channel on your mixer and the right channel to another.

it's mono though which sucks.
 

kyfe

TRIBE Member
xtcfreak said:
meaning multiple outputs? I will check out the buy and sell.

Kyfe, is traktor hard to setup? each deck to a channel on my mixer (djm-600)?

Thanks :)

Jay
not hard at all, everything is very well laid out, you can split the signal to monitors and master. I use my headphones as monitors and my receiver as the master, the program recognizes your sound card(s) and you select which one to use, it's all point and click.

I got rid of my dj equipment and exclusively use this program since I was always a CDJ anyway. Spinsah is right the program is very good for mixing, I used to have it hooked up to my A&H x1-62 and it was heaven.
 

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
not hard at all, everything is very well laid out, you can split the signal to monitors and master. I use my headphones as monitors and my receiver as the master, the program recognizes your sound card(s) and you select which one to use, it's all point and click.

I got rid of my dj equipment and exclusively use this program since I was always a CDJ anyway. Spinsah is right the program is very good for mixing, I used to have it hooked up to my A&H x1-62 and it was heaven.
All the input from everyone is great, thank you.

I am going to setup each deck to a channel in my mixer (line in) , and still have my 1200's going through aswell since I already have my mixer hooked uop with my monitors and such.

Getting all excited now :)

If I learn this traktor thing, will playing CDJ's be much different?
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

OTIS

TRIBE Member
xtcfreak said:
if a deck is using two output channels from the soundcard would it be a left and right? So that would go into channel one on my mixer , and the other 2 outputs for deck 2, and that would obviously go into another channel on my mixer. correct?

Jay
Yes.

You don't need a crazy soundcard to do this. The one below will suit your needs just fine. It has a 24bit throughput, low latency even on slower PCs (I used it for a while with no problem on a PIII laptop 650 with USB 1.1), and it's modular. You just have one USB wire running to your PC and it goes.

For $57, it's a no-brainer.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=007914&cid=SC
 

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
Yes.

You don't need a crazy soundcard to do this. The one below will suit your needs just fine. It has a 24bit throughput, low latency even on slower PCs (I used it for a while with no problem on a PIII laptop 650 with USB 1.1), and it's modular. You just have one USB wire running to your PC and it goes.

For $57, it's a no-brainer.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=007914&cid=SC
On my way this weekend to pick one up.. thanks again :)

Jay
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

samsara

New Member
Holy fuck! turntables are crazy and I heard records fit on them until you can make your own sounds, but being deaf is so much better than anything so hotdogs is where its at.

*rainbow*
 

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
samsara said:
Holy fuck! turntables are crazy and I heard records fit on them until you can make your own sounds, but being deaf is so much better than anything so hotdogs is where its at.

*rainbow*
right.

Jay
 
Top