• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

some advice please

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
OK, here's the deal. I just go this new job and it's great. When I got the job they saw that I have graphic design experience. Now they're asking me to design logos, and so on while at work. I really didn't want to get into designing with this job, and now it seems I am. Do I have the right to decline and say that I really don't want to do this? I mean I do stuff for friends here and there but I am getting paid to do this at least. here I would not be. Is there anything I can do to get out of this, considering I am really not interested in designing their crappy ass logo? Could I lose my job over this?

Thanks.

mingster

TRIBE Member
you could probably fight it, but you'll be most likely committing employment suicide.

i assume your'e working for a fairly small company? this could be an excellent opportunity for you.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Been there.

Tell them that you do freelance design work outside of your job, and that it pays well. I would suggest that your pay scale does not reflect what they've asked you to do, and it's also not reflected in your job description.

Now, I can get away with this at my job, you just have to assess whether or not you can at yours.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Design a shitty ass logo that reflects your pay scale, and tell them that it gets better as you get paid better.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Honestly I am not being paid enough to start doing this here. I really want to say to them that if they want me to do this either here or off site that there should be some sort of fee that we would both agree upon. In anycase I am way too tired at this point from all the shit I have been doing for friends and friends of friends that coming to work was my little escape (if that makes sense). On top of which the programs they want me to use are not even fit for a child to paint with so I'm a little less than happy about the whole situation.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I hear ya. Do what you suggested, it sounds fair. Just do it delicately and give an explanation as to why...

kat

TRIBE Member
say that you kind of suck but you "know" people

and then give the job to one of the tribe designer people

if they want a logo designed by a graphic artist..they have to hire a graphic artist

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I've had to explain to several employers along the way that "Teaching" is not a part of my job description or an addition to my job description that I will accept. Often I find that employers assume that they can make small changes without anyone being annoyed enough to say anything. I've also had to do the same with VisualBasic and Perl. I don't list them on my resume not because I don't know them, but because the last thing I ever want to do is work in VisualBasic and I consider having to edit other peoples Perl code to be a little worse than having teeth pulled.

I've had employers who were very understanding of this. I've had others who simply didn't understand why I would place this kinds of restriction upon them. To this I remind them that in the interview I pointed out that I'm a poor teacher and that although I know several computer languages I'm trying to focus only on (fill in the name here according to the interview). That if they had different expectations of me than what was expressly stated in the interview and on the resume it was a serious issue and one that needed to be addressed imidiately.

I don't teeach people how to write HTML code, I don't teach people how to write javascript. If you want to learn I can suggest several books and schools that will teach you correctly.

In your case, I would suggest a meeting with your boss as quickly as possible. Generally I try to explain that although you will finish the task as assigned this time (always agree to do the work first), you consider it a bit of a problem moving forward. Remind them that just because your a good cook doesn't mean that they can assign cooking lunch for everyone as one of your duties. You view graphic design in a similar fashion, although part of your skill set and an asset to the company it is not actually part of the job your trying to do, or that was agreed upon in the hiring process.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much

Generally I try to explain that although you will finish the task as assigned this time (always agree to do the work first), you consider it a bit of a problem moving forward. Remind them that just because your a good cook doesn't mean that they can assign cooking lunch for everyone as one of your duties. You view graphic design in a similar fashion, although part of your skill set and an asset to the company it is not actually part of the job your trying to do, or that was agreed upon in the hiring process.
Thanks for the advice. This is something I was having trouble putting into words. I had to include this in my resume as this is what I went to school for as well I did work as a designer. But for a long time I felt that this was not what I wanted to do. I still feel that way but cannot argue with extra money. And if it's something that I am good at why not. But come on, I would never ask someone to work for free. I would at least offer something in return...a few days off mayhaps??? I think that's fair. But to do this here now means that they don't have to pay me even if it's not in my job description. But I already came up with a design and I will talk to my boss in this regard.

Thanks

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
I came up with a bad ass design and I know they want to do this internally, I just hope that they pay me for this. I said that I wanted to be paid for it, but they're looking for cheap. what would you consider to be a reasonable price for a logo???