1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Solo sailor, 16, feared missing at sea

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Zorro, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

A 16-year-old Southern California girl attempting a solo sail around the world was feared in trouble Thursday in the frigid, heaving southern Indian Ocean after her emergency beacons began signaling and communication was lost.

Abby Sunderland's family was talking with U.S. and international governments about organizing a search of the remote ocean between southern Africa and Australia, family spokesman Christian Pinkston said.

Conditions can quickly become perilous for any sailor exposed to the elements in that part of the world.

Solo sailor, 16, feared missing at sea - The Globe and Mail

2. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

maybe she's blowing a shore.

3. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Irresponsible parents and foolhardy teenager in disaster shocker!

4. smack

smack TRIBE Member

When you play with water you get wet

5. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I thought she finished her trip...I could have sworn I saw her (or another teenager doing the same thing) land and all that jazz.

6. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

There was a 16 year old boy who barely finished it. The girl set out just before he finished.

7. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

Having your boat go down at sea by yourself must be a terrifying, drawn out way to die.

8. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

there was another solo 16 year old this year. she finished may 15th. she went sydney to sydney. i was following it off and on. surprised to hear there's another one. crazy kids. i imagine this new one has been caught up in this weather because she wanted to beat jessica watsons record and finish before she was older than her.

Jessica Watson | Youngest to sail solo and unassisted around the world

9. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

you have to wonder what the rescue workers who risk their lives looking for people think when they get sent out on missions like this

every time they find the "missing" person, its darwin thwarted

10. derek

derek TRIBE Member

that's if they can even come close to finding her. generally, it's a lost cause when a small boat like this gets lost at sea. and between africa and australia there's cape horn! okay there's more than that, but that's one section that takes out the most experienced of sailors.

shit, i'm 38 and my parents probably wouldn't let me sail solo around the world (not that i'd ever want to). they get worried when i go on solo backpacking trips in nothern ontario.

accomplished sailor or not, it seems pretty irresponsible to me.

11. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

who the fuck lets their 16yr old daughter sail around the world.
    have these people never heard of pirates ffs.

12. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Shame... She was going to be hot...
    [​IMG]

13. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

Exactly.

Sorry , no sympathy from me on this one. Idiots.

14. mizz

mizz TRIBE Promoter

15. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

That's good but there still idiots...

16. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

Where?

17. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i'm glad she was found, and hope she gets dinged with the bill.

18. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

If a family can afford to send two of their kids on around-the-world sailing trips, I don't think they're concerned with receiving a bill.

19. derek

derek TRIBE Member

it's pretty expensive to send an A330 several thousand miles in search pattern, and three boats sent from madagascar to retrieve her.

daddy's yahct management company can probably handle it.

so whether they are laughing about it in few months, or crying because of cash flow problems, no matter, i just don't want to see any taxpayer, anywhere, getting billed.

20. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

ok happy ending preserved, she can pay for whatever the rescue costs are out of the book and movie rights

21. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

correct !

22. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

I wasn't even allowed to use the family car to go to the store when I was 16.

23. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I can 99% guarantee that 100% of the bill will be paid by Australian taxpayers.

24. SonorouS

SonorouS TRIBE Member

I think that western cultures treat teens like babys much too often.

Australian finishes round-the-world sail at age 16 - Yahoo! News

25. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

I think it's asinine that people go out on these risky ill-advised wilderness adventures and then expect a high-cost high-risk rescue when things go bad.