1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Solid Dj Mixer with MIDI controller

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by RumRogerz, Oct 7, 2005.

1. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

Don't know which companies to go for. Allen and Heath is pretty expensive for a mixer intended for home use.

Anyone have some good suggestions?

2. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

any reason you wouldn't buy them separately?

buying those combo items is always risky anyways because if the MIDI part breaks, you have to send in the whole thing for repair.

3. blipblurpbleep

blipblurpbleep TRIBE Member

what he said...
    it might look cooler, but you're not gaining any functionality.

if portabilty was an issue maybe, but even then i don't think it's worth it.

though the 3D seems to be the only one worth getting if you're determined to get one

4. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

well there is alot of reasons.
    For one, some i have heard do alot of syncing from the beat of your cd/vinyl, so activating any instruments will at least be somewhat on beat with everything.
    Thats my MAIN focus. If it's already integrated in the board, less mess, everything is right in front of me.
    Dont' get me wrong, i'm not gonna abuse the board, i usually take care of my equipment. Even though you can't save a Behringer for anything these days.

5. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

I don't have any worries when it comes to repairing. I have enough connections with electricians and tech guys these days to last another generation.

6. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

you know, after reading all the specs, drooling, fantasizing ans whatnot, i know that this mixer is way out of the budget.
    I can just imagine how insine the price tag on that baby would be. I would have to save up for a fucking WHILE

7. Littlej

Littlej TRIBE Member

what do you need midi for ..wanna be like Sasha..?

well the answer to your question is the Eclear Nueo 5...(something like that)

I have a Xone:92 and its not really 2 much a big deal to have MIDI.

Enless you wanna turn it into a midi MIXING board. which I have not been able to accomplish yet. But try Eclear out..

8. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

midi control for my sp-404 and my dr-202 of course ;)
    i've heard some bad things about ecler... they are expensive and apparently don't even work that well :(
    It's becomming more clear to me that the Xone:92 is prrrrobably my best bet, although i will be saving up for a while on this one... need a winter beater first!

9. Littlej

Littlej TRIBE Member

Thus is true about Eclear. They have lots of factory defults when they are shipped..vary easy to get a lemon.

But on the same note if you dont get a lemon its a solid mixer. The thing with the Xone:92 is the introduction of the 4 eq knobs. You have to have a use for each knob otherwise your mix will suck. They made the 92 for extreame Pro's, just a heads up. Dont plan on play out the same way out of the box....but once you get some practice...its worth while..but not many mixers have a learning curve on them..thats all im trying to say.

10. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

ive been using a xone 62 and 92 for years and i never have once had a mix suck because i didnt use all 4 eq knobs.

that statement is 110% false

do some research...see how small the frequency range of the lomid is...its so small in the grand scheme of things that it might as well not even be there...

the new ecler nuo series are actually quite nice. their older SMAC and HAC series were feces, but the new ones sound nice, have very very very nicely set EQ points and are a treat to use...the EQ knobs are huge and very easy to use if you have big giant hands...

from what ive seen they dont sound quite as top notch as the xones, but they are considerably cheaper, so if youre running on a budget its definitely an option. id suggest you go try one out at a store...if your only experiences with them were with the older SMAC and HAC series i think youll be pleasantly surprised to see how far theyve come with the nuos. the faders feel nice, they have nice LED monitoring for both master volume and input volume and they have some slick effects which you can reprogram yourself with included software and trasnfer to the board visa usb.

the only downside ive found to them is a detente in the gain control...the whole reason for a gain control is to make things more fluid when youre at the top of the fader throw..why the FUCK theyd put a detente there i have no idea.

11. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

by the way i should clarify something...i have had, at many times, mixes suck. its always been operator error though, rather than being the fault of any EQ knob

;)