• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

software for joining mp3s?

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Is there any *good* software that will join mp3s into one track? Without re-encoding?

Why do people insist on ripping mixed cds into individual tracks?

deep

TRIBE Member
mp3directcut can, I think. If a CD is properly ripped (using EAC and lame), lame stores a special tag to ensure gapless playback even if a continuous mix is ripped as individual tracks. Players like Foobar2000 will read this tag properly, although you're SOL with hardware players that don't properly buffer the next playing song into memory. I hear Sigmatel's next line of chips (that will go in most of all mp3 players) will have gapless playback in them regardless of how things are ripped.

I still prefer cuesheets + single files though. On the subject, FLAC is great since it can store a cue file right instead of the audio file

Last edited:

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I have the VW kit for my ipod that only allows me to scroll through playlists so I'd like to join the individual tracks from mixed cds - should make it alot easier for me to skip an album during playback. I'm not the one that ripped these discs! I use single mp3s and cue sheets myself.

Looks like mp3directcut doesn't support joing, unless i'm missing something.

deep

TRIBE Member
Hrm. AFAIK the mp3 format doesn't allow for the ends and beginnings of a file to be altered nondestructively without some impact on sound quality. There are utilities for joining mp3s but I haven't bothered with them given the aforementioned. Even if you decompress the files in a wave editor, join them and then re-encode to mp3, there is quality loss since mp3 is a lossy format (contrast: FLAC is lossless). If you don't care you can just use the utils.

Can you reference another playlist on a playlist? I.E. have a master playlist that indexes other playlists (each of which contain the tracks from a mix)?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
Careful about VBRFix. I know it can screw up Lame's tags on files. Foobar has a mp3 fixer in it that is better for the task.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Yeah VBRFIX removes Lame's tags but that really doesn't seem to be an issue for me whatsoever - I'm not doing this to conform to scene rules or anything, just so it works on my ipod :)

Regarding Foobar - I don't know why but I hate its functionality and can't make it do anything! I did read some info though that said its mp3 fixer (which I couldn't find within Foobar anyways) is prone to wrecking seek use in itunes.