• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sofa beds or futons?

swenard

TRIBE Member
I have a new live-in nanny moving into tomorrow and need to get her a new bed. I'm only buying her a futon or sofa bed because her basement apartment isn't very large and she may enjoy the versatility. I want to buy something good quality but also stylish. Any suggestions on stores I can go to today? I found lots online but need something today or tomorrow. The last nanny did nothing but complain about the bed I have. It si brand new but the mattress is meant for a child's weight or a small adult. This nanny isn't going to be very small.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I would just get a double or queen bed with drawers underneath (if she were smaller I might suggest a loft bed), you can get something like that at ikea or sears, and try to save space by getting other things in the apartment with storage functions (like ottoman with storage, coffee table with storage), making sure there are shelves and cabinets wherever possible to keep clutter out of the way.

I think it would be annoying to have to literally make the bed every night and put it away the rest of the time, leaving it out would look funny, and I doubt any folding mattress can compare in comfort to a proper one.

Oh and sears has 50-60% off of mattresses right now.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

swenard

TRIBE Member
I would just get a double or queen bed with drawers underneath (if she were smaller I might suggest a loft bed), you can get something like that at ikea or sears, and try to save space by getting other things in the apartment with storage functions (like ottoman with storage, coffee table with storage), making sure there are shelves and cabinets wherever possible to keep clutter out of the way.

I think it would be annoying to have to literally make the bed every night and put it away the rest of the time, leaving it out would look funny, and I doubt any folding mattress can compare in comfort to a proper one.

Oh and sears has 50-60% off of mattresses right now.
After looking at sofa beds today and laying on a lot of them, I have to agree about the comfort of them; they suck! I think I will go the route of buying a full size bed. I don't want to listen to anymore complaining! lol

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dialog

TRIBE Member
I considered this but there isn't enough height because it's in the basement and I couldn't find any Murphy beds that fold up horizontally, instead of vertically.
True. You make a good point, a queen-sized murphy bed that folds horizontally would be useful for low-ceiling heights, and I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
I'm confused. The nanny isn't very small? I thought nannies come from the Philippines?

This thread creates more questions than answers.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Don't buy a sofa bed or futon for everyday use. Not only is it uncomfortably cruel, but no one who uses it everyday actually puts it up everyday. It always looks unmade and WORSE than having a real bed.

If it's a small space, decorate it like it's a really nice hotel room. It doesn't have to be expensive. Here's an example:

Sarika's Studio Apartment House Call | Apartment Therapy

lucky1

TRIBE Member
^ that looks like my old apartment lol. Same colour, same layout, accept my furniture was a little more beat up! We tried about three different furniture arrangements before settling on that one, and it was the best use of space! You can get a nice loveseat instead of couch, that's what I did.

swenard

TRIBE Member
Don't buy a sofa bed or futon for everyday use. Not only is it uncomfortably cruel, but no one who uses it everyday actually puts it up everyday. It always looks unmade and WORSE than having a real bed.

If it's a small space, decorate it like it's a really nice hotel room. It doesn't have to be expensive. Here's an example:

Fantastic idea!

I will do that and I agree about a sofa bed or futon being cruel but I was hoping that a more expensive one would make the difference, however, I'm not finding that to be true. Plus... The large Jamaican lady decided she wasn't going to take the contract, leaving me more time to find a bed.

swenard

TRIBE Member

Fantastic idea! Although the space isn't that small. She gets about 900-1000 sq feet. I was just trying to fit more in a small section, freeing up more space in her living room area.

I will do that and I agree about a sofa bed or futon being cruel but I was hoping that a more expensive one would make the difference, however, I'm not finding that to be true. Plus... The large Jamaican lady decided she wasn't going to take the contract, leaving me more time to find a bed.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Fantastic idea! Although the space isn't that small. She gets about 900-1000 sq feet. I was just trying to fit more in a small section, freeing up more space in her living room area.
Oo... you have more options then. I don't like dividers in small spaces, but in larger ones they make sense. Also, if it's a basement, get a whole bunch of lamps instead of one big overhead fluorescent.

Placement ideas:

Studio Living: To Divide or Not To Divide? | Apartment Therapy

Lighting ideas:

Basement Apartments: Tips for Creating Light & Spaciousness | Apartment Therapy

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories