• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Social class and family your thoughts?

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract

I had one girlfriend in highschool whose parents loved me because i lived in relatively nice neighbourhood, whereas her previous boyfriend, who i knew, was a nice guy and all, but effectively lived on the wrong side of the tracks.

:confused:

I didn't know Markham had a wrong side of the tracks?

:D

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by green_souljah
:confused:

I didn't know Markham had a wrong side of the tracks?

It does... only I live in Unionville. heh
And a set of train tracks runs right through Markham.
Markham IS the bad side of the tracks. LOL
Actually... Markham is kinda screwed up in that manner. There's bad parts mixed with good parts. It's hard to explain. But yeah.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
It does... only I live in Unionville. heh
And a set of train tracks runs right through Markham.
Markham IS the bad side of the tracks. LOL
Actually... Markham is kinda screwed up in that manner. There's bad parts mixed with good parts. It's hard to explain. But yeah.

heh...
I know buddy, Im just messin with ya

:)

stryker

TRIBE Member
But isn't an income level just the same as a class level?
After all, you can't be Upper class without having the money.

I don't think it is.

To me a class system represents the inability for someone to advance themselves socially and economically based solely on there upbringing, religion, race, geography, etc.

It's like I said earlier, in North America someone can acheive anything they want as long as they are willing to put forth the required effort. Take a look at Chretien for example, on of 19 kids from some little village in the middle of Quebec rises to be the PM of Canada (and one of the best IMO). This wouldn't happen in a place like the UK. To have any sort of postion of real authority in England you have to have to be part of the 'In" crowd and all of the money in the world can't buy a man an invitation to that party, it's just something you are born into or marry into.

I don't think that it possible to truly explain the class system, it's just something that has to be experienced.
With your example of the poor girl whose parents thought they hit the gravy train cuz you have a bit of cash isn't really an example of a real class system, it's ju.st more of a money thing.

If this were in the UK and you were dating the rich girl, you wouldn't be allowed through the door let alone meet the parents. Also, you wouldn't be able to move up to the top of the social ladder no matter how hard you worked (with the exception of a military career) because the bottom line is....you are just not one of them!
You would only be able to go so far in your career before your breeding becomes an issue, you wouldn't be able to network with influential people because your upbringing would automatically bar you from meeting the people necessary to to obtain a position of power or authority which isn't the casse in Canada.

Some of my dad's best friends hold very high executive positions
with BMO and Xerox and other places. They all came from the ghettos of Scotland and moved here when they were young and worked their asses off to get where they are now and if they had stayed in the UK, middle management is as high as they would have made it.

and yes Markham does have a wrong side of the tracks, it's called Scarborough:)

Stew

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Wholeheartedly.

And a small slice of proof exists right here, right now. If one uses incorrect words, one is also thinking incorrectly. Even worse, if one tries to pretend that one is incorrectly using words quite purposely, then one is delusional on top of stupid.

Originally posted by PosTMOd
Jebes uz ah feh q z muh sh! orteme meme or e.

"Why don't you just use normal people words instead of your big fancy school words and then maybe people will understand you"

I get a kick outta droppin nice phat words during a debate, It's enthralling.

swilly

TRIBE Member
hmmmm i think i might of put to much an emphasis on class in my statement. I suppose what i was really wanting to get it as is; can a person who comes from a trashy family succussfully integrate into society without abondoning thier family?

Can someone whose family swears profusely, where the men live at strip clubs and where there is very little objection to drinking and driving or even not paying bills can someone who has a family like that really integrate.

I would think not. How would it look if say that one succussfull member had a xmas party and his family came as well as his boss and coworkers and relatives sat around acting all trashy how would they view it?
are employers really that liberal to look past such things or do they worry about the bottom line? Does the future of such an employee look good when you look at thier history?

I know in germany you have to state what your parents do for a living on your resume. It goes right against all notions of equality but.... there might be some merit in it.

swilly

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I know rich ppl who swear profusely, drink and drive and go to stripclubs. So I guess if it's done in a nice car and house it's not trashy??

I think it's not the actions, but the context of poverty which makes these things "white trash" to observers. The rich are no less prone to being ill-mannered and consumed with vice, the difference is it's usually socially accepted vices and they can afford it. So a man who ignores his family to play golf and go to hookers looks better than a poor man who plays the lotto and is a barfly, as the rich man can pay for his expenses.

My little brothers are always shocked when they visit a friend's family and they are not offered dinner, or the parents are not around. Money doesn't put one above another, it allows flaws to be accepted/concealed because of our way of life.

And the intelligence argument is bs. I know many homeless with very high IQ's, I would say it is those with the most intelligence who can be the most angst ridden and therefore prone to the worst shortcomings in society's eyes. There are many well educated homeless in Toronto.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rubytuesday
I know rich ppl who swear profusely, drink and drive and go to stripclubs. So I guess if it's done in a nice car and house it's not trashy??

I think it's not the actions, but the context of poverty which makes these things "white trash" to observers. The rich are no less prone to being ill-mannered and consumed with vice, the difference is it's usually socially accepted vices and they can afford it. So a man who ignores his family to play golf and go to hookers looks better than a poor man who plays the lotto and is a barfly, as the rich man can pay for his expenses.

My little brothers are always shocked when they visit a friend's family and they are not offered dinner, or the parents are not around. Money doesn't put one above another, it allows flaws to be accepted/concealed because of our way of life.

And the intelligence argument is bs. I know many homeless with very high IQ's, I would say it is those with the most intelligence who can be the most angst ridden and therefore prone to the worst shortcomings in society's eyes. There are many well educated homeless in Toronto.

my uncle new this fellow in vancover who had a phd and was on the street. it was only in anthroplogy but..... he still had it

swilly

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
"Why don't you just use normal people words instead of your big fancy school words and then maybe people will understand you"

The question should be, "Why don't you just admit you're consulting a textbook for your posts and trying (unsuccessfully) to knock down a straw man instead of actually backing up your original assertions?"

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rubytuesday

That quote is Ricky from Trailer Park Boys.

I always quote it on message boards when I think people are getting are laying on the BS a little too thick for my liking.

:)

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
I'm not bullshiting. I really believe that the social classes are due to social/academic intelligence. Rich people will go broke and the broke will go rich. It's a game, like monopoly.

I always piss people off, it's fucking incredible. Like I know my statements are bold and general, but I've told people that. Postmod is calling me a stupid faker, another kid wants to throw a brick at my face, another thinks i'm bullshiting. Really kmon people, do these conversations really need to come to that? Like I said before if you think someone is a complete fucking tool, just ignore what they say and let the wallow in their own crapulence(quote from the simpsons, Mr.Burns to be exact). I don't know what i'm thinking I need sleep. Adios muchachos.

deep

TRIBE Member
"you can take the cat outta the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out the cat" - jeru

marcinm

TRIBE Member
"You can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl"

yeah, right... it's impossible to rise above a not so great upbringing :rolleyes: